Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Unit Garage Panniers

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Mitch Clyman, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Mitch Clyman

Mitch Clyman Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Has anybody purchased the Unit Garage panniers... either canvas or suede?

Poppe likes this.
  2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I am set up to sell with them, but I haven't sold any.

Poppe likes this.
  3. Mitch Clyman

Mitch Clyman Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Really, they look great...I didn’t see them on your site

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. Chard

Chard Just got it firing!

I like the fact that the frame is rather small and unobtrusive when the bags are off. The photo at the link below seems to indicate that the frame can be mounted to a V7 III Anniversario with the stock grab rail in place.
    unitgarage.com/special_parts/bags_and_accessories/left_frame_guzzi_v7
    If this is true then I would be interested in purchasing a set. How do I find out the cost through GuzziTech?

5. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Just to stir the pot a bit here. I have the SW-Motech panniers and carrier on my 2017 Anniversario and am very happy with them. I only got the right side setup, will do the other side maybe next year. Link to Pannier; twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-legend-gear-black-edition-lc2-side-bag-for-slc-side-carriers-right-side-13-5l

6. tobinh

tobinh Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

that's interesting. my dad has the exact same V7 as you, and just bought the same panniers. he got both tho.

he's in BC too!

Mayakovski likes this.
  7. Chard

Thank you for your input. SW Motech is the other locking sadlebag system that I have been considering. I won't be using the bags every day so I'm looking for a system that looks good when the bags are off the bike. I'm not a big fan of seat straps because they don't provide much support. The SW Motech support frame Is a bit more visible with the additional strut mounted to the passenger footpeg mount and the triangular frame extending over the chrome grab rail. The Unit Garage frame mounts behind the grab rail with horizontal bars extending parallel to the grab rail. This two rail frame design does not obstruct the lines of the grab rail like the triangular SW Motech frame does, but the SW Motech's three pin bag attachement system looks very secure. Both systems sell the bag attachment plates separately so, theoretically, the plates could be attached to just about any bag.

The SW Motech bag design with modern hardware appears to be more advanced than the Unit Garage bag.

Maybe the best setup would be the Unit Garage frame and mounting plate with the SW Motech bag?

8. Chard

SW Motech frame
    sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/default/pix/a/z/BC.HTA.17.595.20000/g/bc_hta_17_595_20000_3_xl.jpg

Unit Garage frame
    unitgarage.com/special_parts/bags_and_accessories/left_frame_guzzi_v7

9. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

This is how the Sw-Motech carrier looks on my Anniversario. I don't even notice it anymore and have gotten a couple of compliments on it. Solid as heck. Very happy with it. :)

Carrier 1.jpg Carrier 2.jpg

10. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Guys, no offsite hyperlinks please. I am trying to keep what little business I have to support the site.

For the Unit garage stuff, post or best to email me direct and I can get it added to the online Store site here.

11. David Pasquini

David Pasquini Just got it firing!

Hi All,

I've got the Unit Garage quick release sub frame mount on my V7III special. I purchased their quick release system and attached my own pannier to it. It works great.

The issue is that, to my knowledge, Unit Garage does not make a luggage rack for the V7. I'm looking at getting the HB ones on the GM site here but no one seems to know if they will be compatible with the Unit Garage sub frame pannier mounts. I've stumped both Unit Garage and HB it seems.

Does the HB rack have the same profile as the OEM grab bar - it looks like they are pretty close?

Has anyone had an luck with any luggage rack and these pannier mounts from Unit Garage?

[​IMG]

David

12. David Pasquini

David Pasquini Just got it firing!

So... to answer my own question I went out and purchased the HB luggage rack for the V7III and, sadly, it was not compatible with my Unit Garage sub-frame bag mount (see pics above).

This means I have to get rid of the Unit Garage set up or return the HB rack. I'm thinking I will get rid of the Unit Garage sub-frame pannier rack (any takers?), although its a shame because I really like that little custom pannier I had man from an army ammunition pouch and the Unit Garage quick release system...

David