• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

USA Arizona to Utah 2009 Part 1

motoguzziman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi from the deep blue skies of Utah. We are in Kanab, just north of the border with Arizona. After three days' rest, we are feeling ready to head for Nevada tomorrow.

But first, here's some photos from Arizona.

We left Winslow at 8am and our first stop, about 20 miles down the interstate, was at Two Guns

DSC_1806.jpg

DSC_1833.jpg

The remains of a decent-size camp site with its own pool, and the derelict remains of a zoo that had

DSC_1837.jpg

as well as coyotes and road runners.

The collapsed pens were not very big

DSC_1841.jpg

Back on the interstate, we took the next turning off and found the remains of the Indians answer to Two Guns

DSC_1874.jpg

Twin Arrows where, once there was a gas station and a trading post

DSC_1875.jpg

It was a longer ride then through the large, busy town of Flagstaff and on to another R66 favourite, Williams. T

There was a market on for bikers; they sold everything a rider might need. I liked these T-shirts

DSC_1926.jpg

We filled up with gas at this old station

DSC_1928.jpg

DSC_1882.jpg

Then had lunch in this classic diner

DSC_1900.jpg

It was about 80 mile from Williams to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Although we arrived by midday, all the sites at the main camp ground, Mather, were full. People book up to a year in advance. Besides, it was Father's Day in the US and the park was waiving the entrance fee, so it was fairly busy.

However, the ranger said there was space at Desert View campsite – 25 miles down the road. We made a couple of stops at overviews as we made our way to the second site, but didn't dawdle in case that site also filled up.

DSC_1949.jpg

It was fortunate that we did – we got the last pitch left.

We got the tent up, the inflatable mats and the sleeping bags out and made a brew

DSC_2097.jpg

Then took off to look at the view

DSC_1933.jpg

DSC_1943.jpg

DSC_1984.jpg

DSC_1994.jpg

DSC_2103.jpg

DSC_2108.jpg

That evening, at about 11pm, a car stopped. Three French guys got out and asked if they could pitch their tent on our bit of land as they had driven around and around but couldn't find anywhere to camp. In the USA, it can be a very long way to the next place to find somewhere to rest your weary head, so we said, yeah, ok.

The two younger guys – friends, and the father of one of them got to work putting the tent up in the dark and getting a campfire going.

They were very grateful and wanted to cook us some food and share their wine – but we were happily into our beers and full up. We shifted stuff from the picnic table and made room for them. Typical of the French, they went at their food and drink with great gusto.

The sky – which had become increasingly overcast – cleared with the rising breeze. Soon we could see a trillion stars above us and a long, halted chat (the young guys spoke English, but papa did not) about navigation by the stars – we pointed out Orion, Cassiopeia and how to find your way by the Plough – which they called the Big Bear.

A very pleasant evening passed with increasingly frequent visits to the nearby trees to go for a pee.

The night was warm enough but a few hearty gusts did rattle the tent and I spent half the night with a full bladder and cramp in the shin. I was a bit reluctant to scramble out of the tent – I doubt the mountain lions would approach the campsites, but there are some big, ugly and occasionally, nasty biting bugs out there.

The next morning, the sky was heavy with cloud and we discussed whether to stay another night or not. But although still very impressive, the views of the Canyon were spoiled a little by the dark skies. And we were a bit worried about thunderstorms.

We decided to pack and go.

The French guys were amazed at how we got the gear onto the bike. They too packed up and we gave continental air kisses and waved goodbye

DSC_2101.jpg

Part 2

Arizona to Utah

To give you an idea of the size of the Grand Canyon, it is a 200 mile drive to get from the south rim to the north rim – and that doesn't take into account the part of the canyon that is further west!

The ride was good – quiet roads for the most part – and increasingly impressive scenery. But the weather was changeable – dark, threatening clouds then hot sunny spells. Now and then we felt drops of rain and, at times, we were shivering, so we stopped to put our waterproofs. When we stopped to fill up, we were sweating.

Instead of heading to Page on HW89, we took the alternate scenic byway, HW89A. Scenic is accurate. There is nothing that isn't scenic in this part of Arizona, but this route is exceptional.

We rode through Marble Canyon and the Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness. The rocks were every colour imaginable – pink, purple, green, turquoise, red, brown, black, orange, yellow and even blue.

DSC_2171.jpg

I broke my own rule and kept my Nikon DSLR around my neck so I could take photos on the ride. On earlier trips, I always carried a small point and shoot, but this time decided to take a decent camera but nor to have it slung around my neck. But this scenery was too good to miss and we couldn't stop every five minutes so I could get the camera out of the side bag. I also had my little Kodak Zi6 HD Camcorder so I took lots of video on the go. More about that later!

DSC_2239.jpg

DSC_2174.jpg

We came to
DSC_2177.jpg

and parked up. There is a huge span of bridge across the Colorado River here and,even with an 24mm lens on the camera, I couldn't get more than a third of the bridge on a photo, so I climbed some rocks to try to get the whole thing in. I am amazed at just how breathless I get with any exertion at this altitude 7 – 8,000 feet.

DSC_2226.jpg

The original bridge was built in 1929

DSC_2214.jpg

and the second bridge – built to carry heavier traffic was dedicated in 1995

DSC_2216.jpg

DSC_2182.jpg

Here's the rocks (not very high) that I climbed up

DSC_2230-1.jpg

Around 20 miles from here, the scenery changed completely; we were entering the Kaibab National Forest, filled with pines and lakes

DSC_2281.jpg

DSC_2268.jpg

Making a gas and coffee stop at Jacob Lake, we got chatting to an older guy. We were 45 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and, although less visited, supposedly even more grand. But this man told us he was heading to Kanab to see the biggest meet of Model T Fords ever.
We said we too were heading to Kanab later in the day. He asked if we had booked a room – no. He said he thought it might be difficult to find accommodation because of the auto event.

We thought about it and didn't come to a decision until we were at the road junction; turn right to the north rim, or left to Kanab. I guess it was the thought of the effort of pitching the tent again in overcast, changeable weather. We headed to Kanab, Utah

DSC_2321.jpg

Back