• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V10 Centauro - Water in the Clutch Housing!

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
I've never seen this before until today and I've worked on many motorcycles before. For the life of me, I'm not sure how it got in there.

I just acquired my second Centauro, a 1997 with 17.9k miles, about a month ago. My first one I bought brand new in 1998, so this is a bit of a learning experience for me on the used one.

3 days ago, I washed my 1997 Centauro to remove several years of road grime and grease from the the engine and I washed it in exactly the same fashion as I had my first Centauro many years ago, i.e. Simple Green and garden hose with normal flow (not high pressure spray).

After the wash, I put her in the garage to sit for a couple of days waiting for parts to arrive.

Today, upon starting the bike, water SHOT out the seam of the starter/motor housing, and blew out a steady spray past the rubber plug covering the timing inspection hole. In all, I removed about 1.5 - 2.5 cups of water. I was blown away.

My question is, where in the hell could this have infiltrated into this area from. I pulled the tank to see if there was a vent or something on the top of the engine/gearbox seam, but there was nothing that I could see. I used my lighted bore scope and looked inside of the housing from the inspection hole side and other than a few residual drops of water, there was nothing which appeared out of the ordinary.

My plan is to put a bright light over the bike in my dark garage, and re-use my scope to see where light is entering from.

I think it entered from the starter side of the bike but I've never had to replace the starter motor in my previous Centauro, so I don't know if there is supposed to be a gasket there, or some type of seal. Also, I don't know the total history of this bike as I am the 4th owner, and I don't know if the cases have been split from each other and there is some tyoe of seal or sealant that should have been used to waterproof that seam between them. Does anybody know about either of these?

This is very strange indeed.

The engine oil is clear and fine, and so is the gearbox oil and there is no oil in the housing that I could see with my scope or in the oil water that shot out.

I'm puzzled but want to fix this so that the next time I wash the bike or encounter rain, that it doesn't flood my clutch area.

I appreciate your input! Thanks.

Scott. Not familiar with that bike but is there not a drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing like on the other bikes. Water can and will get in somewhere to the bell housing but it is supposed to drain out the bottom..…No?

Perhaps drain hold is plugged?

Scott. Not familiar with that bike but is there not a drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing like on the other bikes. Water can and will get in somewhere to the bell housing but it is supposed to drain out the bottom..…No?

Perhaps drain hold is plugged?

I thought so too as every other Moto Guzzi and BMW I have ever owned had that drain hole in it and the Stelvio does too, but I couldn't put the bike on my lift yesterday because another bike is on it and I couldn't get on the floor to do that. I will be looking at that today, but I bet there isn't one. This bike is a 1997 so early production may have missed that detail. If so, I will be adding one myself!

Thanks for the input!

Thank you everybody! I finally got the Centauro up on my lift and man let me tell you, that drain hole is TINY and WAY up against the engine block and I still couldn't see it. I had to feel with a pick until it went into the hole.

I reamed it out with the pick and just general clutch dust and road grime and more water came out! I then sent my bore scope back into the housing and took this photo with my iPhone of the screen on the scope where you can see my pick protruding through from the outside.

(In case you're wondering, I bought my Cen-Tech scope #62359 from Harbor Freight for $69 and used the 20% coupon online for a total less than $60 for a awesome tool with a hard case!) The actual image on the screen of the scope is very sharp but here you can see the individual pixels because the iPhone took a very high resolution photo.

IMG 1294

As you can see, there is actually a very nice channel cut in the housing, but it exits out a very tiny hole and mine was clogged. Other than this, everything looks great in there and I'm looking forward to the weekend!

Again, thanks to all on the weirdest thing I've ever experienced with a motorcycle! You are all great!

Last edited:
Back