• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 depreciation concerns, Griso 8V to wait

c-motion123

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone. It's been over 10 years since I had to let go my Stelvio. 3 kids later, I'm itching to get back on a Guzzi. I'm particularly fond of the new V100 S. In many ways, I feel like they built my ideal motorcycle. That being said, I worry about the depreciation. I've lost considerable money on my Stelvio and I wonder how the value of the V100 will hold up in the upcoming years... Especially when you compare with some Italian and German competitors. I also wish I could say it's going to be my "for ever' bike, but I fully know that would be a lie. Any opinions on the matter ?

In a meantime, while I debate and save up for a V100S (it's still well over 20K CND) I'm considering finding a clean Griso 8V to fulfil my Guzzi needs (Ideally located in Canada). If anyone knows about one for sale, I'm all ears.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20772_103907336302701_907532_n.jpg
    20772_103907336302701_907532_n.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 6
I don’t get you.

ALL MOTOR VEHICLES go down in value from the day they go into service.

There is no general use motorcycle that doesn’t go down in value.

So, to minimize the effect, wait for the first ones sold to come available in the used market. Be prepared to use the power of cash to obtain the best used prices.

Just my guidelines on buying bikes if depreciation is an issue , not recommendations to anyone else so feel free to disagree :-

Never buy a new model particularly from a small company like Guzzi where the first owners may end up doing some unpaid research. Wait a while for feedback.
Stick to bikes at least 5 years old so most of the depreciation is taken care of .
Stick to bikes 10 years old or more and there is no depreciation to speak of. My 2008 Stelvio owned for 2.5 years and 2005 Monster owned for 4 years are both worth more than I paid for them.
Buy in the Winter when buyers are scarce, sell in late Spring / early Summer when buyers are keen to get a bike for the season .

But the V100 looks lovely and seems to be all I would want in a bike . Subject to a good test ride of course but I`m avoiding that is it would end up with me ignoring all my guidelines.
In the UK recent Guzzis seem to hang on to their value very well so depreciation is not so much of a factor, no idea about anywhere else.

Last edited:
I prefer to buy my bikes new. That way I know the PDI was done correctly, serviced as it should be and not abused. I know there will be depreciation, but I keep my bikes for a long time. I still have the 1990 LeMans and 2006 1100 Breva that I purchased new. I believe at my age these will last me as long as I ride and in fact, there isn't a new bike that has me interested. The V100 will be a great bike, but one of those isn't in the cards for me.

I have never bought anything (toys that is) that I considered resale value when I purchased it.
A couple of years old usually takes care of a lot of the depreciation. Our BMW 640i GT cost us under half of the new price when it was 2 years old with under 50,000 KM, 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
Life is short. Ride. My '03 Vespa has a sticker above the headlight that reads "It is later than you think". My '95 1100 Sport was bought with 27,000k on it, imported from Japan. Zero rust, just a patina that glows. I did buy new, once. A '01/12 TNT R160 Benelli that I dropped two years ago. The last parts have FINALLY arrived. New bike from a brand that then sold to Chinese AFTER my model was discontinued!🤯 IF I had brains 🧠 🙄 I'd be riding a 10 year old GS...🤔...NAWWW🤣

Attachments

• 20120930_132904-1.jpg
    20120930_132904-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 11
Like many others here, I buy new and I buy very gently used motorcycles as well.

The new ones I know I will keep forever like my 2012 Stelvio NTX and my 2017 Ural Gear Up. My other used motorcycles, are always impeccable in condition and mileage that their value is almost always that they are worth more than I paid for them. I like it that way. 😀🤞👍👌

As far as vehicles are concerned, I generally buy new because I know they are properly serviced and I keep them long enough to quit worrying about depreciation. I buy used only if what I want is not available new.

I prefer to buy my bikes new. That way I know the PDI was done correctly, serviced as it should be and not abused. I know there will be depreciation, but I keep my bikes for a long time. I still have the 1990 LeMans and 2006 1100 Breva that I purchased new. I believe at my age these will last me as long as I ride and in fact, there isn't a new bike that has me interested. The V100 will be a great bike, but one of those isn't in the cards for me.
Some of us have little to no faith in their dealer either doing all they should in PDI or in servicing. Mine is an example, to the extent that I have foregone potential warranty claims (not so favourable here in the UK) in favour of doing the work myself. Just saying that dealers vary in capability and reputation, so it can be beneficial to buy used, despite potential pitfalls stated.

I'm in the camp of "life is short," buy and ride what you want, and -- with several but few notable exceptions in the US -- am wary of dealers doing their duty.

Bill
I am also strongly in the “life is short—ride/drive what you want” camp. I do most of my own service/repair so I hope I do it correctly and I don’t have to worry about what was done previously when I buy new.

Back