• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 Failure Issues

BDS

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Well, I’ll post my “story.” Note - it’s still evolving, but as of yesterday, a plan is in place.

As I posted a couple posts back, my Verde came in on 4/21. I picked it up on 4/26. Delighted to have it, I rode it home (~5 mi), did a few things and went out for the first ride (6 miles on the odometer). Maybe 8 miles into a ride on familiar southern Ohio roads, the bike died. Felt exactly like it ran out of gas. Pulled into a business lot, and looked things over - no leaks or obvious issues. Hit start and fired up. Since the TFT said I had about 50 miles until I needed gas, I went to a gas station immediately, to eliminate that as a potential cause. Took off, and it ran fine. Until it died again. I called the shop, but they were gone for the day. It seemed to happen on deceleration or taking off right after I started it. At various times I noticed weird things on the display, … a very rapidly flashing ABS icon, and a brief “urgent alarm” pop up at the bottom of the screen. The bike died 10-12 times before I made it home.

Once home, I looked online for any other instances of this happening. Only saw the glowing reviews that made me so anxious to get mine! I looked through the manual (which I had just laid on the kitchen counter before the ride). On pg 67 there was a reference to the urgent alarm… I felt there may be something related, and that maybe the bike was shutting itself down as self preservation step. pic post attached.

Next morning, I got a call from Enzo (Cadre in Cincinnati) about the bike (after he heard my msg), and he offered to come over with the laptop and software to diagnose. There were several codes, which he cleared, and what appeared to be a setup step that had not registered - linking the ride by wire throttle to the ecu, or something like that. Anyway, when he left, all codes were clear and nothing showed up as a problem. I had a MC buddies lunch scheduled that day, and asked if he thought the bike would make it the 40 miles to Harrison. He said go for it. I told him I’d call if it didn’t make it - he said he’d come with the truck. I took the bike. It ran fine until I exited I-275 … decelerating off the exit ramp - it died. I started and restarted 4 times to get to a BP station, and called the shop. Joe came in the truck. Dropped me off at home 40 mins later, then took the bike back to the shop. This was Thurs - about 24 hrs after I got the bike.

So, Fri, Enzo and Joe worked all day on it, rode it. Got it to happen to them. Sat morning got a call - now the bike won’t start at all. But, apparently, a Guzzi tech in Germany ran into this exact same issue on a V100, and the problem turned out to be the rpm sensor. A $24 part… but probably none in the US for this bike! So, one is on expedited order for my bike (hopefully, a couple extras in case THIS is the mystery recall). Apparently, the sensor isn’t consistently communicating the rpm’s once the bike gets hot (maybe why my problem didn’t occur until I had ridden a few miles). I don’t know the full explanation, but I’m sad it was my bike that fate chose to be the Guinea pig! Anyway, waiting on the part to, hopefully, resolve the issue. 2nd Pic below shows front case cover off, and the sensor part centered between the gears, above the rotation arrow. I have faith in Enzo’s expertise… More to come.

So, Glen - it could be worse😉

0DFB0930 4AE6 41B2 AD39 98311BB04B88 3AC8E737 04FF 44A1 B409 FB2922653E45

Well, I’ll post my “story.” Note - it’s still evolving, but as of yesterday, a plan is in place.

As I posted a couple posts back, my Verde came in on 4/21. I picked it up on 4/26. Delighted to have it, I rode it home (~5 mi), did a few things and went out for the first ride (6 miles on the odometer). Maybe 8 miles into a ride on familiar southern Ohio roads, the bike died. Felt exactly like it ran out of gas. Pulled into a business lot, and looked things over - no leaks or obvious issues. Hit start and fired up. Since the TFT said I had about 50 miles until I needed gas, I went to a gas station immediately, to eliminate that as a potential cause. Took off, and it ran fine. Until it died again. I called the shop, but they were gone for the day. It seemed to happen on deceleration or taking off right after I started it. At various times I noticed weird things on the display, … a very rapidly flashing ABS icon, and a brief “urgent alarm” pop up at the bottom of the screen. The bike died 10-12 times before I made it home.

Once home, I looked online for any other instances of this happening. Only saw the glowing reviews that made me so anxious to get mine! I looked through the manual (which I had just laid on the kitchen counter before the ride). On pg 67 there was a reference to the urgent alarm… I felt there may be something related, and that maybe the bike was shutting itself down as self preservation step. pic post attached.

Next morning, I got a call from Enzo (Cadre in Cincinnati) about the bike (after he heard my msg), and he offered to come over with the laptop and software to diagnose. There were several codes, which he cleared, and what appeared to be a setup step that had not registered - linking the ride by wire throttle to the ecu, or something like that. Anyway, when he left, all codes were clear and nothing showed up as a problem. I had a MC buddies lunch scheduled that day, and asked if he thought the bike would make it the 40 miles to Harrison. He said go for it. I told him I’d call if it didn’t make it - he said he’d come with the truck. I took the bike. It ran fine until I exited I-275 … decelerating off the exit ramp - it died. I started and restarted 4 times to get to a BP station, and called the shop. Joe came in the truck. Dropped me off at home 40 mins later, then took the bike back to the shop. This was Thurs - about 24 hrs after I got the bike.

So, Fri, Enzo and Joe worked all day on it, rode it. Got it to happen to them. Sat morning got a call - now the bike won’t start at all. But, apparently, a Guzzi tech in Germany ran into this exact same issue on a V100, and the problem turned out to be the rpm sensor. A $24 part… but probably none in the US for this bike! So, one is on expedited order for my bike (hopefully, a couple extras in case THIS is the mystery recall). Apparently, the sensor isn’t consistently communicating the rpm’s once the bike gets hot (maybe why my problem didn’t occur until I had ridden a few miles). I don’t know the full explanation, but I’m sad it was my bike that fate chose to be the Guinea pig! Anyway, waiting on the part to, hopefully, resolve the issue. 2nd Pic below shows front case cover off, and the sensor part centered between the gears, above the rotation arrow. I have faith in Enzo’s expertise… More to come.

So, Glen - it could be worse😉

View attachment 29721View attachment 29722
Hey Barry, maybe we could urge Enzo and Joe to take the sensor out of another bike and see if that cures it! As slow as Guzzi is about getting parts to Cadre, that would expedite getting you back on the road!!

Thx Rick! That’s certainly a possibility (I think he has a couple V100’s). But, I’d hate to see another new bike get opened up. Seeing mine torn down made my heart sink. I know he’ll get it back together in fine shape … but… sigh. Enzo hopes the expedited status will get the part here in a week or so. But, great idea, thx! I have a battery on order for my Ducati. Will be over there mid week to get it - maybe I’ll run it by him. Enjoy your S!!!!

Dealers never pull parts off a new unsold bike. Every day that bike sits unsold on the floor with a busted part costs them money.

Most of these places take short term loans to buy inventory, every month it sits there the interest racks up. They have to pay the manufacturer for inventory, then sell it to get their money. The manufacturer doesn't ship it and wait for it to be sold to collect. Same with car dealers.

"Generally, all new vehicles are financed through the manufacturer, and dealers pay interest monthly on that loan," explained Wayne Phillips, a former dealer who now works for the NADA. "Dealers have to pay off the [original equipment manufacturers] immediately on new vehicles, but many turn around and finance them through the OEM's finance arm.

Reactions: BDS
Back