RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

V1000 G5 breaker assembly question

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Frey, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Frey

Frey Tuned and Synch'ed

I thought I'd lined up points correctly when putting the Popemobile back together, but apparentlly I didn't. Had spark, so I thought I'd check out timing. Looking through the peep hole, I lined up the mark just before the D and looked at the contact breaker and cam, and it appeared to be well off. The manual says, when D is so positioned, turn the camshaft so that the cam is just where the (right/red) breaker begins to open. Great, no problem. However, because of the helical gear, when inserting the breaker unit, the camshaft is advanced significantly.

So, the question: is this expected; or should I withdraw the breaker unit and align it a bit before the cam opens the point, so that when it is inserted and advances somewhat it will be just opening when installed?

Thanks for any help. I'm hoping to do this just once, as this is a real PITA with engine in frame and everything else ready to go.

Cheers,

Frey

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Set the RH cylinder at TDC with both valves closed. Yes the cam will rotate so you start the insertion at a different point to compensate. BTW, the points don't trigger a firing every time the D appears, just once every 2 revolutions. That is why you need to set it up as I described.

3. Frey

Frey Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks, John. Quick clarification needed. You said to set the RH cylinder at TDC. According to the manual, you'd set the RH cylinder not at TDC, but 2 degrees from TDC, which is noted by a mark just before the D. Are you suggesting that instead of using that mark, I should set at TDC and not at the line just before that?

4. john zibell

That gets you in the ball park. You can rotate the body of the "distributor" to set timing for the right cylinder, then sliding the points assembly to time the left.. You should be using a timing light or similar device to set timing. That 2 degrees on the crank equates to 1 degree at the camshaft. Barely noticeable. I mentioned TDC with both valves closed to make sure you are on the correct cycle for that cylinder.

5. Frey

Frey Tuned and Synch'ed

Well, I think I'm getting closer. Rather than no noise other than cranking, now it sounds like popcorn popping, though still not starting. Not sure I'm getting enough fuel.

6. john zibell

Cranking on the starter you can check timing with a strobe light. Are you close on the timing of both cylinders?

7. Old man Jonathan

Old man Jonathan Just got it firing!

Hi guys. First time in a forum and I hope someone can help. I am building a custom G5 1000 Guzzi 1981 model. I cannot get the timing 100% Firstly my flywheel only has one mark for each cylinder (S & D) and so I must assume these marks are for TDC. (Yes you read correctly....no marks for BTDC...one mark only for each cylinder. ) My assumption that these marks are for TDC is probably correct and so not really a problem. My problem is that I cannot move the bottom plate holding the contact breakers for the left cylinder enough to get the breakers to open at the correct moment. This plate is moved to the right as far as it can go. I have even modified this plate to move further to the right but it is still not enough. The result is that the left cylinder timing is retarded and the plug burns dry black sooty and pops and missis a bit. I have got new contact breakers which look identical to the old ones and images on the web. Any advice please.

8. john zibell

Close the point gap a few thousands for the left cylinder. That will advance the timing for that cylinder.

9. Old man Jonathan

Thanks John. Will let you know after I have time to work on it. The lack of timing marks is also puzzling. If there is only one mark on the flywheel it is either a TDC or the mark used for a strobe light. The only way to find out is to find a degree wheel to attach to the front of the crank as discussed earlier. However, if I can get the points correct, even with a slight modification of the LHS plate, I can advance and retard the timing by moving my distributor until I get optimal running with a nice brown colour on both cylinders. The left cylinder has always missed and farted a bit..

10. Old man Jonathan

My Guzzi is purring. The new points I ordered were made for a Fiat and looked exactly the same as the old ones. On very close inspection there were minute differences. I cleaned up the old points and she is running very well. There are only 2 timing marks for each cylinder but by advancing and retarding the distributer I quickly found optimum firing. I will now monitor the plugs to get a nice brown colour.