• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V11 won't start when hot

RJVB

GT Reference
Posting this for a friend who bought what he thought would be a nice 2004 V11 Café Sport ...

He's already had an issue with the TPS, he lost his back brake, and now his speedometer has given up AND the machine won't start when hot.

I suppose that the speedometer thing is just a matter of installing a new cable?

The no-start issue is, according to him, a known problem for V11s and Californias (which I don't recall having seen mentioned here, ever?!). If that's indeed the case, the solution is probably also well-known?

The machine is stock except for an LED tail light and an immobiliser system, which isn't the culprit (it's disconnected now).

Any advice that I'd be able to translate back into French? (Oh, scrap that, he's perfectly capable of understanding English B) )

Thx,
René

Back brake is a OEM spacer issue... unresolved. It also destroys the rear bearing time-to-time as well, so tell him to keep an eye on that too.

No start is typically a "tip valve", which negatively pressurizes the fuel tank, overcoming the fuel pump. They also have showed intermittent running issues, in that the bikes cuts-out under normal operation. This is often the "kill switch" on the bar (needs cleaned), or again, unresolved.

His speedo would be an ITI (black face w/grey stripe), and they are known to be, well, junk.. internally speaking. Most all of the loose the odometer, and nothing you can do but replace. Yes, the speedo cable can also be problematic, as well as a 90 degree elbow off the transmission/gearbox that drives it... though I think his '04 goes straight in.

Need more?

Moving this to the Spine section on your reply. ;)

Don't know if it applies to the 04's but the 02 Le man;s had a vapor lock issue when hot.

Thanks, but yes I think I need more ;)

I thought of the tip valve, but since Olivier (yep, it's him ;) ) told me he's already gotten stuck after filling her up, I think we can exclude that one. The kill switch ... wouldn't depend on engine temp, would it?! The engine apparently doesn't cut out while running.

So the back brake issue is known? It causes severe overheating destroying the rotor, the caliper and IIRC even the master cylinder?? :S

RJVB wrote:
The kill switch ... wouldn't depend on engine temp, would it?! The engine apparently doesn't cut out while running.
So the back brake issue is known? It causes severe overheating destroying the rotor, the caliper and IIRC even the master cylinder?? :S
Tank suck does not care about fuel level. Usually heat/sun compounds the problem.
No, the kill switch is not temp dependent... it cuts out at will. ;)
Yes, the rear brake is a well known issue, and the rear caliper stay/bracket is mis-manufactured. He can peruse the V11LeMans.com Forum as well.

Tank suck shouldn't be a problem if you've just opened the trap to put in new fuel, or would it now!?

Sounds like he got himself a good-looking lemon? :S

No, just a Guzzi with a little sorting needed. The hot start issue is often a vapor lock/ fuel boiling issue. Some have fuel lines run too close to hot parts. You can but fuel line insulation made just for the job. It can also be from heat soak on the engine temp sensor (I would look at the fuel system first) or even a bad coil (sometimes when they go bad it is only when hot). Also, check the basics like valve clearence. Too tight can make the bike hard to start when hot. If you approach these problems with logic and common sense you should be fine. Guzzi's are very simple machines all in all and can normally be debugged with a little patience and perserverence.

I've cured a couple of V11 hot start problems with fire sleeve, a covering that goes over aircraft fuel lines. Probably asbestos.. :shock: :D At any rate, any aircraft supplier will have it.

Re: Re:V11 won't start when hot

GuzziMoto said:
No, just a Guzzi with a little sorting needed. The hot start issue is often a vapor lock/ fuel boiling issue. Some have fuel lines run too close to hot parts. You can but fuel line insulation made just for the job. It can also be from heat soak on the engine temp sensor (I would look at the fuel system first) or even a bad coil (sometimes when they go bad it is only when hot). Also, check the basics like valve clearance. Too tight can make the bike hard to start when hot. If you approach these problems with logic and common sense you should be fine. Guzzi's are very simple machines all in all and can normally be debugged with a little patience and perseverance.

On my 2000 V11 I had to relocate my Fuel pump to under the rear seat and put heat insulation on the hoses and bottom of the tank.. it solved the heat problem...

Have you replaced all the Relays? Do yourself a favor and hunt out the 20amp heavy duty version that is imported by a Guzzi enthusiast... That solved my dying tach....and random issues (including fueling)

on my 04 v11s..., the Neutral switch can cause it. Even when my light was lit, it wouldn't start sometimes. This always happened during a hot/warm restart, ie after a ride and filling up the tank on the way home.... A simple prod of the gear lever usually got it going. NOt sure if you mentioned your bike cranks/starter engagement...

Hello all.

i have a 2000 v11 sport. its starts and runs fine until it gets hot, runs relatively fine with throttle on but at an idle it stubbles and tries to die. Im new to guzzi and have no idea where to start. any help would be much appreciated...

tim

The basics, like adjust the valves, sync the throttle bodies, set the TPS, would be a good place to start.
There are many things it could be. Making sure the easy basic stuff is correct would be the obvious place to start.

Tim, read this thread from the top. It pretty much covers everything. Since your '00 uses an out-of-tank fuel pump, you likely don't have that problem. Does your tank give a whoosh of air when you open the lid once hot? If so, it's likely the tip-over valve, and associated evap emissions components.

GT-rx,

Im not sure about the whoosh.. but ill try it when conditions permit. Thanks for the input...

Back