• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V50 mk2 Running on 1 cylinder Please help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was laughing so hard now 🤣 well done on that Afrikaans not bad at all ! Dont shake the chicken !

I do know someone that can borrow me their vacuum gauge but i need to go fetch it, its about two hour's drive from me.

Tell me does a vacuum gauge also help to tune carbs or only sync them?

I did try the method in the manual but bike doesn't seem to respond much to me adjusting anything thats why i thought there might of been a vacuum leak 🤔

Was laughing so hard now 🤣 well done on that Afrikaans not bad at all ! Dont shake the chicken !

I do know someone that can borrow me their vacuum gauge but i need to go fetch it, its about two hour's drive from me.

Tell me does a vacuum gauge also help to tune carbs or only sync them?

I did try the method in the manual but bike doesn't seem to respond much to me adjusting anything thats why i thought there might of been a vacuum leak 🤔
That tool will only aid in syncronizing the carbs. Once syncronized you can then get into tuning with possible jet size changes and needle position changes. Remember the stock jetting is for a completely stock intake and exhaust system. If there are any changes to either you will need to compensate. Remember, richer is not always better.

Hi guys so i went on another ride today and the bike was barely running just just got it home was mis firing on both cylinders and both plugs pitch black :((((( i am so frustrated 😠

This is exactly what pisses me off about the manual please see attached.

Both manuals says completely different things about the carbs, both have different jet sizes and different needle positions. I am loosing my F mind here seriously 😒

Sorry i know its weekend and dont mean to disturb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221001-170437_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-170437_Office.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20221001-170337_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-170337_Office.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6
Hi! I don't know what manuals you are looking at. I have the factory service manual. I will put it up on my Google Drive.

Carburetors are an ART FORM, not an exact science. It takes patience to get them dialed in and you don't have all the requisite tools and the parts and motorcycle are 40 years old! You need patience my friend. We will get her sorted out but sometimes these things take a little time.

We are obviously running very rich. I also don't know about South Africa gas. What type of fuel are you running in it now?

Also, what size jets did you end up using? I didn't read all of the little itemizations on your receipts. It will be easier if you can just tell me.

We need to go 2 steps hotter in plugs. Did you get those yet?

I would also screw in the idle mixture screws, (the very sharp pointed ones) in from 1.5 turns out to 1.25 turns out. Put them back in 1/4 turn so as to reduce the fuel being delivered at idle. See if this helps. If a little but not a lot, then go an additional 1/4 turn inward, to make the total reduction of 1/3 the opening, so 1.0 turns out instead of 1.5 turns out.

Last edited:

Wow. We are running seriously rich.

3 possible causes: Too rich a fuel mixture, inadequate ignition spark energy, excessive idling.

How is the air filter? Is it new and clean and flowing freely?

Let's reduce that Idle Mixture Needle setting by 1/3 so seat the needle and turn out just 1.0 turns instead of 1.5

Do you have the main jet needle at position 2 or 3?

One more question.

Are you having to utilize the choke in order to start the motorcycle when stone cold? If not, then you are definitely inducing way too much fuel into the mixture.

If you do not need to utilize the choke to start the motorcycle when it is stone cold, then most likely, your choke pistons are no longer sealing shut and are providing the additional fuel normally used for startup, all of the time, which will cause the carbon fouling we are seeing.

So the only fuel we have here is 95 octane Unleaded except Diesel of course maybe the guzzi is diesel and i should throw in a couple of glow plugs instead 😅

I will tell you the jet sizes in a sec i lost that pic of all my jet sizes.

Yes before i went on a ride this morning the mix screws was only backed out 1 full turn instead of 1 1/2 and my needle only has 3 notches its currently in the middle/2nd notch

Bike had original airbox with BRAND NEW filter in.

And the plugs i posted now are the new ones i bought yesterday which is already one hotter than the B8ES that was in running BR7ES now.

One more question.

Are you having to utilize the choke in order to start the motorcycle when stone cold? If not, then you are definitely inducing way too much fuel into the mixture.

If you do not need to utilize the choke to start the motorcycle when it is stone cold, then most likely, your choke pistons are no longer sealing shut and are providing the additional fuel normally used for startup, all of the time, which will cause the carbon fouling we are seeing.
Nope never had to use the choke ever, bike starts up from cold first time but dont start when hot.

And the manual i have is the one you send me aswell as another i got of the web

So the only fuel we have here is 95 octane Unleaded except Diesel of course maybe the guzzi is diesel and i should throw in a couple of glow plugs instead 😅

I will tell you the jet sizes in a sec i lost that pic of all my jet sizes.

Yes before i went on a ride this morning the mix screws was only backed out 1 full turn instead of 1 1/2 and my needle only has 3 notches its currently in the middle/2nd notch

Bike had original airbox with BRAND NEW filter in.

And the plugs i posted now are the new ones i bought yesterday which is already one hotter than the B8ES that was in running BR7ES now.
Bike has original airbox and new filter sorry not had

One more question.

This was exactly my thoughts aswell but how do i possibly check this? My chocke pistons has a decent imprint in them which tells me they are definitely touching the jet🤔

Nope never had to use the choke ever, bike starts up from cold first time but dont start when hot.

And the manual i have is the one you send me aswell as another i got of the web
Indication of pilot jet too large or fuel passing through the enriching circuit. There is really no choke on these carbs It will be interesting when you post the jet sizes.

Indication of pilot jet too large or fuel passing through the enriching circuit. There is really no choke on these carbs It will be interesting when you post the jet sizes.
Hi John, these carbs definitely has chokes on them or are you being sarcastic and saying that the chokes are useless 🤔

Will post sizes in a sec. Need to take off carbs again 😩

Here's the jet sizes guys

Starter 60
Idle 40
Main 105

Attachments

• 20221001_183447.jpg
    20221001_183447.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221001_183010.jpg
    20221001_183010.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221001_182820.jpg
    20221001_182820.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi John, these carbs definitely has chokes on them or are you being sarcastic and saying that the chokes are useless 🤔

Will post sizes in a sec. Need to take off carbs again 😩
A choke is a butterfly that restricts air flow thus increasing air speed and the fuel picked up by the air stream. An enriching circuit is opened by the plunger with the rubber tip that has a path to the number 60 jet.

Main should be a 102 by the manual. Needle should be an E2.

A choke is a butterfly that restricts air flow thus increasing air speed and the fuel picked up by the air stream. An enriching circuit is opened by the plunger with the rubber tip that has a path to the number 60 jet.

Main should be a 102 by the manual. Needle should be an E2.
Thanks for the reply.

The manual i have and the one Scott posted both says 105 Main jet for the v50 and 102 Main for the v35, I have the v50.

The other manual i have says 115 main for the v50 and different needle position.

Do you mind sending me the manual you have John?

Thanks for the reply.

The manual i have and the one Scott posted both says 105 Main jet for the v50 and 102 Main for the v35, I have the v50.

The other manual i have says 115 main for the v50 and different needle position.

Do you mind sending me the manual you have John?
You are correct on the jet sizes from the manual. I looked at the wrong column. The manual I have is in the Downloads section and available after a donation to the site. It is the same one Scott has referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back