• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V50ii clutch plate question?

MSFoster

Just got it firing!
I have a v50ii that I aquired about six months ago, this is my first bike btw. It has run great except for a oil leak and right before it got cold here I started having what I think is a clutch plate going out. So I'm going to tear down and replace all gaskets and what not to fix the oil leak and wanted some input on my other issue before buying the part and needlessly replacing it. Basically what it's doing is after riding for about 15min or so, after it gets nice and warmed up, in 3rd,4th, and 5th gear above about 5k rooms it will rev really fast but not put power to the ground. Am I correct or on the right track in thinking the problem is the clutch plate?

Provided you have the correct 3-4mm of play at the clutch lever, then yes it is a slipping clutch. It may be from wear, or since you say you have an oil leak, it may be from oil contamination. In either case the clutch friction disk should be replaced, and considering the age, probably the diaphragm spring as well. If oil contaminated, be sure to remove all contamination from the pressure plate and ring gear. Some special tools are needed to center the clutch, but other than that it is a straight forward job. Manuals for the older small blocks can be found here. http://guzzitek.org/gb/accueil_gb.htm

I had the same sort of thing on my V50. I was riding through some hilly country on the way to visit a friend. The clutch started slipping just as you describe. I turned around to head for home and thrashed the thing for a few miles, only to find that the clutch slip had disappeared! Most of my riding is on flat country so maybe that tells me I have a small oil seal leak and the plate had become a bit slippery, adequate for flat but not so for hills. One day I'll pull it down and have a look. In the meantime, if it starts to slip again, just ride it harder!

Worth checking that there is free play between the clutch actuating arm on the back of the gearbox and the clutch push rod. If this is tight you will get slip, but at the same time there could be plenty of slack in the cable.

Thanks guys I talked to the local tech here and he told me to make sure the clutch adjustment screw on the back of the trans was properly set and the lever as well. I did that it only made it do it at 6-6500 rpm and up now. Unfortunately Dave riding harder only makes it worse. Next to do it tear it down and replace. Thanks for the help guys. Will update when I get to that point.

Well if adjusting the screw on the actuating arm causes the clutch to grip to higher revs, then it was too tight before, and now the plate is toast. When you look into it, also check the release bearing in the back plate of the gearbox. If the adjustment was tight, it will wear out that bearing.

Back