• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V65 Lario: Throttle free play too loose, not returning to closed position

marty90

Just got it firing!
(I thought this would warrant a separate post from my other one, since it seems unrelated.)

Initially things were fine, but I tried adjusting the free play screw on my ‘87 V65 Lario since I wanted to get it to respond faster. Bad idea… a bunch of things seem to have gone wrong.

First, my throttle bar stopped returning to the closed position when I took my hands off it. The throttle closes, but I have to roll it back up. There’s friction, and a feeling of plastic rubbing against plastic, when I do.

Second (after I tried loosening the screw to address the above) the free play now seems so loose that the throttle cables have too much slack. You can see in this picture that a little clip that holds the throttle cables in keeps un-clipping, I think because I have too much slack. This makes throttle response even worse.

The free play screw is pretty stuck now, too. It’s a finger screw, which doesn’t help much.

Many of these parts seem to be plastic or rubber, so given their age I’m assuming lots of it needs replacing. I can’t find any info on this in the service manual, oddly, so I’m not even sure what parts I need to look for.

Attachments

• IMG_2607 Large.png
    IMG_2607 Large.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 10
But hold on, this wire clip is just for that, for holding the cables' housing IN PLACE. It's nice to see it made in alloy, BTW - usually this is plastic too. Seems like you force pushed throttle back too far at some point, "breaking" its initial position "bumper" . Just take those two or three screws out to halve throttle roll housing and take careful look inside, it's all logic inside, no nuclear science.

Thanks! I opened it up and I figured out that the free play screw, when too tight, also pushes up a little tab that causes resistance when it rolls back (thus making me accidentally push it back far enough to unclip the cable, which I can just reseat by hand.)

For anyone who encounters this in the future: attached is a picture of the relevant screw and tab. Loosening it a bit got me back to normal. IMG 2614 Large

That is a friction knob to hold throttle position. Free play is adjusted at carburetor tops. Only adjust free play if you have a method to synchronize the carburetors.

Yes! Thank you for calling that out. I thought that screw under the handle was free play, but it is not - it seems this bike isn’t like newer ones that have an easy-to-use screw to adjust.

Yes! Thank you for calling that out. I thought that screw under the handle was free play, but it is not - it seems this bike isn’t like newer ones that have an easy-to-use screw to adjust.

Huh?

NO motorcycle has a throttle cable adjuster in that position. You are mistaken. The modern cables with built in adjusters have the adjuster on the cable itself, not under the handlebar switchgear or throttle tube.

Marty, can I suggest you search the web or Ebay and find a copy of the owner's manual for your bike. There is a basic manual about A5 size that was supplied originally to new owners but over the years it is most likely on someone's bookshelf. This booklet will help you understand the basics of what you own. After that you get the actual V65 manual, a special supplement for the 4 valve Larios etc. and then there is a spart part listing which assists with buying those bits you need to keep your bike going.
Happy riding

Marty, may I suggest (since I am often baffled on this after 22+ years), if you upgrade your Forum profile, you have access to a handful of manuals right here on this very site HERE.

Back