Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V65 - Strange timing issue

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Dr. Jake, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Dr. Jake

Dr. Jake Just got it firing!

Hey all. Looking for input. I decided to look in to the timing of my V65C in an efford to cure a tendency to run a bit too hot. I found the timing to be way advanced. I set it to factory specs +7 degrees (measured both stativ and with timing gun) and found it was nearly impossible to start and ran like cr.p. After messing around a bit i set it back to where it was (which also roughly corresponde with the factory mark on the timing plate). It now starts and runs fine with 22degrees of static advance??

I don’t get it.

There is no markings on the flywheel but I am absolutely confident that TDC is correctly identified using a piston stop. I run stock setup with points. The mechanic advance mechanism is working properly.

Whats going on?

Jake

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Some flywheels then had no marks but there should have been a square punch mark at 7 and a round one at 10 for V35/50 motors. When you drop advance down to 7 motor will run slower and richer, to keep same rpm have to raise speed screw and adjust idle mixture to compensate. I used to install non epa mixture screws. For USA emissions they had a long narrow tip. I have not experienced the problem you have, make sure valve rockers are adjusted correctly ahead of time. Could be the point gap closed up while adjusting timing also, nature of the beast.

Skivo and Dr. Jake like this.
  3. Dr. Jake

Dr. Jake Just got it firing!

I could under no circumstances make it run even near properly at 7 degrees as per the workshop manual - points gap dead on and lots of idle screw messing about. Now it starts and runs excellent at 22 degrees advance. Just seems strange

Oh well. It runs

Jake

4. Skivo

Skivo Just got it firing!

I think you may have answered my question. I have a V50 II running very poorly (knocking severely) and it appears to be a timing issue. I've tried boosting octane up to 100 over "clean" 93 pump gas (per the service manual specs) and that made little to no difference. I am now confirming the timing on this electronic ignition model and noticed neither of the 2 marks on the flywheel correspond to TDC for piston #1. Good to know I'm not crazy, at least not in this case. This bike has 32k on it but sat for 10-15 years before I got it--fuel petcocks turned off, thankfully. The manual notes there is a special tool to assist with aligning electronic pick-ups...I guess the factory didn't need a mark for TDC.

5. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Something I run into is some so called mechanic swapped out the clutch or rear main seal and put flywheel on wrong. The Bosch system as you have is pretty good but I have changed out failures on the sensor & black boxes.

6. Skivo

Skivo Just got it firing!

Thanks for the tip Steve. I was wondering if something like that was even possible. With 32k miles it may or may not have had major work done in the past. I see no evidence of a major overhaul. I think a bad starter did it in way back when...then it just sat.

Strangely, one of the Bosch pick-ups does not adjust within tolerance (without some filing :-| ). They were actually in contact with the crank which wore a 2mm grove into them. Surprising it ran at all. Might be evidence of some prior wrenching.

My plan is to mark TDC on the flywheel, then readjust the pick-ups once I get the 1st cylinder pick-up mounting bracket adjusting within spec again. Hope to be on the road after that if all goes well!

7. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

Could the valve timing be out, doesn't look to difficult to check

Skivo likes this.