• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 2021 wont start

AndreaPaux

Just got it firing!
Hi All,

my name is Andrea (from Italy) and I'm new to this forum and to the Guzzi Universe.

I'm writing as I'm getting desperate due to my new Guzzi V7 Centenario (2021). I bought the bike on September and, mostly due to a massive workload, I couldn't use it much so far. I did just 400 kms. Then I couldn't use it for about a month.

2 weeks ago I tried to turn on the bike, and it took several attempts to start. Moreover, as I set the first gear the bike immediately turned down, so I had to wait few minutes before it started working properly. Since yesterday however the bike does not turn on. The battery seems ok. I'm not an expert but my feeling is that the engine is not capable of burning the fuel.

I don't know if it matters but where I live it started to be very cold and rainy, I always leave the bike in my garage tough.

I'm thinking to check the spark plugs, but it seems so weird to me as the bike is new!!!

Any suggestions/ideas would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Andrea

PS: I'm sorry for bad writing but English is not my first language :(

Hi All,

my name is Andrea (from Italy) and I'm new to this forum and to the Guzzi Universe.

I'm writing as I'm getting desperate due to my new Guzzi V7 Centenario (2021). I bought the bike on September and, mostly due to a massive workload, I couldn't use it much so far. I did just 400 kms. Then I couldn't use it for about a month.

2 weeks ago I tried to turn on the bike, and it took several attempts to start. Moreover, as I set the first gear the bike immediately turned down, so I had to wait few minutes before it started working properly. Since yesterday however the bike does not turn on. The battery seems ok. I'm not an expert but my feeling is that the engine is not capable of burning the fuel.

I don't know if it matters but where I live it started to be very cold and rainy, I always leave the bike in my garage tough.

I'm thinking to check the spark plugs, but it seems so weird to me as the bike is new!!!

Any suggestions/ideas would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Andrea

PS: I'm sorry for bad writing but English is not my first language :(
I would honestly start with charging your battery.
Cold weather will not help your battery either

I would honestly start with charging your battery.
Cold weather will not help your battery either

Many thanks Louis, I'm charing the battery right now. It is draining about 1.5 Ampere per hour. I will try to turn on the bike down again as soon as the charge is complete.

If new to Guzzi don't forget, Bike in Neutral, Clutch pulled in, Sidestand up, hit starter.
Just in case it's been awhile.

Since you are in Italy, there is probably a Moto Guzzi dealer near you. If it does not start call the dealer. If it does start you may still need a new battery. It should still be under warranty.

The battery is now charged, but the bike still won't start.

I have also tried Steve suggestion, but it has the same effect.

I have the option to call the dealer, but I will have to pay for the pick up of the bike that will be quite expensive (around 350 euros). Te warranty does not cover the pick up. I would rather leave this as the last option.

Ciao.

Se il motore della moto si è fermato esattamente quando hai selezionato la prima marcia, il supporto laterale era abbassato o si verifica un guasto nell'interruttore collegato al supporto di supporto laterale.

Ciao,

l'ultima volta che sono riuscito a mettere in moto la moto era in folle non riusciva a reggere il minimo e si spegneva. Allora ho dato un pò di gas e si è assestata, ho messo la prima e si è spenta. L'ho riaccesa e l'ho lasciata a "scaldarsi" per un minuto dopodiché è andata.

Da ieri non riesce più ad accendersi. Quando giro la chiave, il quadro strumenti si accende ma premendo lo starter, la moto fa quel rumore tipico di quando metti in moto ma senza partire, in pratica non avviene lo scoppio della benzina nel motore.

Escluderei un problema al cavalletto.

I will try to translate for everybody my last answer.

When I turn the key, put the gear to neutral and hit the starter, the bike make the usual sound as it would start, but the fuel does not burn into the engine.

Another thing I just noted, but it maybe be due to the fact that the bike is in the garage is that fuel smell is very strong when I try to turn the bike on.

Have you tried using the other key? Don't know if it makes a difference on your 2021.
Have you engaged kill switch on & off?
Does all dash lights work properly?

Have you tried using the other key? Don't know if it makes a difference on your 2021.
Have you engaged kill switch on & off?
Does all dash lights work properly?

Yes even with the other key it won't start. I tried to engage the kill switch on and off and still does not work.

The dash lights are all working and the display also is working properly. I don't think it is an electronic problem. The bike struggle to get the fuel burning. On the display I can see it struggles to reach the 800-1000 rpm. If it does for a sec, then it drops down immediately.

If I'm reading this right the bike turns over at a normal pace but it doesn't fire. You have me/us confused with saying it doesn't start but struggles to get to 800 RPM.
  • Keep the battery charged and pull both spark plugs and see if they are wet from gas. If so clean/dry them then spin the engine with the starter while the plugs are connected to the plug wires and are grounded to the cylinders away from the gas that might spray away from the plug holes. Look for spark at the grounded spark plug. If you have spark re-instll them and try to fire up the bike.
  • Is there any chance a mouse got into the air box and built a nest in there or a rag got sucked into it?

If I'm reading this right the bike turns over at a normal pace but it doesn't fire. You have me/us confused with saying it doesn't start but struggles to get to 800 RPM.
  • Keep the battery charged and pull both spark plugs and see if they are wet from gas. If so clean/dry them then spin the engine with the starter while the plugs are connected to the plug wires and are grounded to the cylinders away from the gas that might spray away from the plug holes. Look for spark at the grounded spark plug. If you have spark re-instll them and try to fire up the bike.
  • Is there any chance a mouse got into the air box and built a nest in there or a rag got sucked into it?

Hi,

thank you very much for you answer, and apologize if I created confusion.

I'm going to check the spark plugs and the air box tomorrow morning. I will let you know as soon as I manage to make this test.

Be extremely cautious about releasing an open spark in a confined area smelling strongly of gasoline.

It is really a very bad idea.

Also, the ignition system has sufficient energy to seriously harm you should you become the path for the electricity while trying to hold 2 spark plugs and wires in contact with the cylinder head while trying to crank the engine over.

Be extremely cautious about releasing an open spark in a confined area smelling strongly of gasoline.

It is really a very bad idea.

Also, the ignition system has sufficient energy to seriously harm you should you become the path for the electricity while trying to hold 2 spark plugs and wires in contact with the cylinder head while trying to crank the engine over.

I will bring the bike outside for safety and most likely I will start just checking wether are clean or not and I'll check the air box as well.

Hello Everybody,

here is an update. I decided to bring the bike to the Guzzi assistence.

Today they told me that they managed to repair the bike. The problem was that they found water and other residuals in the fuel and as a consequence the spark plugs needed also to be changed. Moreover, they said that the dirty fuel caused also the traction control system not to work properly. Since the bike wad not defective, this intervention is not even covered by the guarantee so I have to pay 150 euros.

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed. If the fuel is dirty is not my fault, I always use premium Q8 gas. One option could be that bike already had a dirty tank, although it is quite unlikely as I bought it new.

I will pick up the bike later this afternoon, hope it will works properly at least...

Huh !
When you pick it up, ask the if it’s “Guaranteed” that the tank and fuel system ( pump/injectors) is 100% clean !

It would be a pain if they only did half the cleanup only for you to keep running into issues!!

Good luck !
You need to ride it weekly ;)

Hello Everybody,

here is an update. I decided to bring the bike to the Guzzi assistence.

Today they told me that they managed to repair the bike. The problem was that they found water and other residuals in the fuel and as a consequence the spark plugs needed also to be changed. Moreover, they said that the dirty fuel caused also the traction control system not to work properly. Since the bike wad not defective, this intervention is not even covered by the guarantee so I have to pay 150 euros.

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed. If the fuel is dirty is not my fault, I always use premium Q8 gas. One option could be that bike already had a dirty tank, although it is quite unlikely as I bought it new.

I will pick up the bike later this afternoon, hope it will works properly at least...

Andrea,

I am reluctant to cast aspersions on a shop I know nothing about, but I am always suspicious of "bad fuel" diagnoses. Did they test the fuel? That said, the symptoms you provided are not inconsistent with dirty gasoline.

If you trust the place, great, and I'm glad that they have found the cause if that is truly it. If you recall where you last filled the tank, you might mention this to the fuel station management and see how they react.

Happy that you are back on the road, even if "poorer in the pocket."

I am, BTW, riding my V7 III to North Carolina this week. :clap:

Bill

Use a different petrol station for a start. The dirty fuel can only have come from there (unless you know different). Glad you got it sorted.

Back