• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 850 2022 already rusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkrock Didi

Just got it firing!
I am noticing that everything chrome on my v7 special is already starting to rust,I'm using the bike to commute for about 2 months now.

Anybody else got some experience with their bike starting to rust so quickly?And how did you solve the problem if so?

Groetjes Diederik

20230204 135230 20230204 135226 20230204 135221 20230204 135217 20230204 135211 20230204 135132 20230204 130907 20230204 130824

I think there is a more essential problem here than how to clean surface rust. The V-7 850 Special is a premium bike, costing above similar models from other manufacturers. For the prices charged for this model, one would hope the exhaust and other presently chrome-plated parts were instead made of polished stainless steel as some of the California 1100s came with. Not all bright parts were stainless, but the spokes wheel rims and exhaust were.

I am almost certain the dealer will offer no assistance except to refer you to a brand of chrome cleaner he sells. I suspect that Belgium has a lot more precipitation than I'm used to in Texas USA (we are under drought conditions and water use is restricted in many areas to in-home use, only) but I suspect that much of UK and EU have "generous" amounts of rainfall and accordingly more owner maintenance is essential for rust prevention. Is your bike kept indoors when done for the day, or at least do you have a waterproof cover for it? I hope that you'll keep us posted re the dealer's response. I'm not hopeful. Some old towels and a good chrome cleaner and perhaps a toothbrush for getting at some areas will be of benefit to you. I wish you well and I hope that the joy of owning a premium Guzzi will offset the extra cleaning that is required.

Ralph

What Ralph says. I took my Special off the road for the winter; I have another bike to ride then. Here in the UK the salt that is spread on the roads ruins bikes like the Special unless they are treated BEFORE they are exposed to salt. I too use ACF50, but I neither spray nor brush it on. I spray onto a cloth or kitchen roll and rub it on.
Personally I wouldn’t say they are premium bikes for what they are. Yes, a Triumph is more expensive but it is better made and has more tech. I’d say the current Triumph retros are higher quality than the V7 range and have fewer if any Chinese parts in them.

Thanks for tthe response Ralph.I will go to the dealership as fast as I can (3 kids take a lot of time 😅).

My bike is always parked inside,at my jog as well as at home,it's not a heated garage bit it's dry and closed.

the 2 options were the guzzi v7 and the Triumph street twin (now the speed twin 900) and tbh I think the Guzzinlooks a lot better and more authentic but it's such a shame about the rust.The welds on the bracket for the passenger footrest are even rusting and the shocks to,not only the chrome part bit also the black painted.

I think I take pretty good care of all the motorcycles I owned,regularly a wash (once a week) and after washing I treat them with a soft oil based spray wich I apply with a very soft cloth,to prevent corroding of parts on the bike 😅

I will post when I have news from the dealer

Groetjes Diederik

Any feedback about the dealer's answer about this problem? I also do have a 2022 special and rust that started at more than one place in a new bike is a serious problem. Should we start using anti corrosives from the beginning without waiting to see rust?

Last edited:
Me too. I always prep my new bikes before riding them. It’s only brand new once, a golden opportunity to prevent issues arising further down the line.

Good side, another reason to pet my guzzi. I already gave its painted surfaces 3M wax and meguiar's chrome bike polish for metal parts,though, anti corrosive will work as a sealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back