• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7/9 - Changing Brake Pads

tris

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My V9 seems to have a sticky front caliper and I was looking to see if it was common, but didn't find anything specific

Anyone have a view?

I'm thinking that a good clean and exercise of the pistons might be in order

And there is nothing like an 8 year old thread for research purposes :)

Thanks S216, I know how to get it apart if nothing else :clap::clap::clap:

My V9 seems to have a sticky front caliper and I was looking to see if it was common, but didn't find anything specific

Anyone have a view?

I'm thinking that a good clean and exercise of the pistons might be in order

And there is nothing like an 8 year old thread for research purposes :)

Thanks S216, I know how to get it apart if nothing else :clap::clap::clap:

When you say your caliper is “sticky” I assume you mean that the pads are not retracting fully. If this is the case there are two potential problem areas: the pad retaining pins and the caliper pistons. If it were me, I would remove the caliper and completely disassemble it. Inspect the retaining pins and their respective holes in the pads for corrosion. If any corrosion is found clean and lightly lubricate the pins using disc brake grease; don’t use any other grease for this procedure!

Next remove the caliper pistons. There are several ways to do this, but I typically place a piece of plywood between the pistons and use low-pressure air to force the pistons out of their bores and against the plywood. Note that I’ve not removed caliper pistons from Guzzis, so there may be a better method for your particular model. After removing the pistons carefully pry out the seals from the piston bores. Then carefully inspect and clean the seal grooves. Corrosion or gunk in these seal groves are often the cause of sticky caliper pistons, so make sure they are absolutely clean.

Reassemble the caliper with new seals and reinstall it on the bike. Fill with new brake fluid and bleed using your favorite technique.

Jason

I've already had the pads out and all parts looked clean with no corrosion but with everything lubed up the problem persists

I think that initially I'll clean the pistons without disassembly and see where that gets me.

In parallel I'll search for a seal kit

Thanks for the input

Tris

Another possibility is the master cylinder is not allowing fluid to return. Or is slow to return. When was brake fluid changed? It should be done every two years or so.

You didn’t say what year your V9 is however UK weather is hell on motorcycles, especially brakes.

99% of the time, the piston may look clean on the facing side, but if you use a brake piston tool and rotate the pistons 180 degrees in place in their seals, you will find a ridge of contaminants which prevent the piston from fully retracting. You can clean and polish this off with brake cleaner sprayed on 0-0-0-0 steel wool. That’s quadruple ought steel wool. It’s super super fine steel wool. Not Brillo pads!!! Way too course and it will scratch the hell out of your pistons.

Also, the spring plate(s) must be absolutely mirror smooth and polished and should be replaced every time you replace pads (amateurs rarely do this which causes the problem) because this super smooth surface is what the pad actually slides upon. Not smooth and polished, it works lousy at best.

Look at my old post.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/rear-brake.21541/#post-173119

The tool I speak of is this. It allows you to grip the piston from the hollow inside area to prevent marring. Never use pliers or any other tool but this to spin the cylinder in place.

C65DF22E 8678 44EA 96BB 4328BDF3E391 6C17CE45 DB43 492D A488 7462215492DA

^^^^^^^

Thanks, Scott.

Last June doesn't seem like an "old post," but I sure wish we could have that month's weather again! :cry:

Anyway, might you tell me what item you mean when you say "spring plate(s)?"

I have reread your June response and did a web search for that term, and failed to understand which part that is.

Grazie.

Bill

Anyway, might you tell me what item you mean when you say "spring plate(s)?"
I have reread your June response and did a web search for that term, and failed to understand which part that is.
Bill, it's the shaped piece of metal on top of the pads that is usually retained by the pin, that pushes down on the pads to keep them in place and rattling around. It usually comes with the brake pad "kit" from Brembo. Next I have one in hand I'll post a pic.

Bill, it's the shaped piece of metal on top of the pads that is usually retained by the pin, that pushes down on the pads to keep them in place and rattling around. It usually comes with the brake pad "kit" from Brembo. Next I have one in hand I'll post a pic.

Ah, thanks, Todd.

No need to post pic for me, but others might want to see that. I thought that might be the the item, but wanted to ensure.

I am admittedly among the amateurs Scott referenced as I had no idea that that -- presumably the underside -- "must be absolutely mirror smooth and polished and should be replaced every time you replace pads." All mine are still OEM from the factory. I occasionally curse them when reinstalling, but it never occurred to me to replace and polish.

Bill

John, good question and I don't know. Easy enough to do so I shall add it to my work scope

Scott, never seen that tool before, but shall add one to my arsenal

Grazie.

Bill

Hi Bill. Todd is correct (See # 10 in the first diagram) but also many calipers, utilize also a inner spring (slide) plate (#6 and #7 in the second diagram) which rests clipped inside of the caliper on which the pad rides upon its smooth polished metal surface.

Like these Honda plates.

00B84A76 6D3E 4D1A B9AE 0B48C2CBDD96 78F3BCBF 3FC3 4D33 9958 F89DBF6115E2
26111C66 F01B 4334 A585 8FC822F964E8 A4B362CB 4868 40C3 B3CA 9EB1A081B514

Last edited:
Back