• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C - No slack in new clutch cable

frocker

Just got it firing!
Hi folks, first post here since getting my bike, so hello! Forgive me for skipping introductions, I'm in a bit of a bind.

My 2008 V7 Classic has just hit 18k, and had my clutch cable snap on me. Picked up a new one and tried to fit it, but there's not enough slack. I've got both ends of the sheathe, and the lever adjuster wound all the way in but get less than 10mm of slack by tugging on the end of the inner-cable, no where near enough to slot it into the lever.

I've been mulling over some potential causes:
  • Seized clutch arm return spring - The spring not compressing would prevent the clutch arm from coming over all the way
  • Clutch Pushrod & Bearing failure - This seems to be the usual suspect for clutch related problems, not idea if it could cause the cable slack issues though
  • Previous owner may have adjusted the slack and the clutch arm to compensate for an overly stretched cable (not sure how I could confirm this)

Side note, previously I had also been experiencing a whining sound on acceleration, and a fairly quiet rattle in Neutral. I had assumed these were just 'character' inherent in riding a Guzzi, but I'm now realising they are probably a symptom of the clutch not disengaging fully.

Before I start taking pulling the bike apart at the swingarm, any other potential causes I've missed, or advice on where to go from here before?

Much obliged,
Felix

Last edited:
Put the cable on the lever 1st, screw in adjuster. Now deal w/the back!! Crawl under bike & press on lever to connect. Use a prybar or such. You can get to most from underneath and see what's going on.
There is an adjuster on the arm with 13mm locknut. A slotted tool like a spoke wrench is needed. Should not need more than 1/2 turn either way.

Put the cable on the lever 1st, screw in adjuster. Now deal w/the back!! Crawl under bike & press on lever to connect. Use a prybar or such. You can get to most from underneath and see what's going on.
There is an adjuster on the arm with 13mm locknut. A slotted tool like a spoke wrench is needed. Should not need more than 1/2 turn either way.

Thanks for the help mate, managed to get the cable installed using the arm adjuster. However I'm pretty sure something's seized in the push rod assembly. By depressing the clutch arm (1) with my hand, I should be able to see the outer bushing (7) move down, right?
Cause mine certainly ain't moving.

37d383d7a5aedc37654307c97df1361d.png

Thanks for the help mate, managed to get the cable installed using the arm adjuster. However I'm pretty sure something's seized in the push rod assembly. By depressing the clutch arm (1) with my hand, I should be able to see the outer bushing (7) move down, right?
Cause mine certainly ain't moving.

37d383d7a5aedc37654307c97df1361d.png

Spring tension is pretty stout. I doubt you could move the clutch arm (Item 1 in your image) by hand. That is why Steve said to use a bar to move the arm so you could hook the cable.

Spring tension is pretty stout. I doubt you could move the clutch arm (Item 1 in your image) by hand. That is why Steve said to use a bar to move the arm so you could hook the cable.
Yeah you're right I just wasn't giving it enough grunt. Hooked a spanner round it as a lever and got it moving, clutch appears to be operational, so that's a relief. Now just to set the correct arm & lever adjustment. Thanks for help with this one guys, still pretty new to this stuff, much appreciated!

Back