• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Cafe Air Temperature Sensor

JasonC

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
My 2010 V7 Cafe has what appears to be an air temperature sensor. When I got the bike it was connected to the plastic intake runner on an ill-fitting K&N air filter. I have since tossed the K&N filters in the waste bin and installed UNI filters in their place. I had to make a stainless steel extension for the left-hand filter in order to obtain filter clearance and installed the air temperature sensor in this extension.

What is the purpose of the air temp sensor? I assume when it senses cool temperatures it sends a signal to the ECU, which then enrichens the fuel mixture? Is this a correct assumption? And does it work through the entire engine rev band or only for starting and idle or??? And as temps increase does the temp sensor signal the ECU to then lean-out the fuel mixture?

What would be the effect if the sensor were disconnected?

Any information about this sensor would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Why don't you look in the service manual where it tells you. I'd put it in a still air area and leave it. ECU uses it to do mixture.
Thanks for that suggestion.

I was too general in my query.

I was fishing for whether or not the temperature sensor was strictly to facilitate cold starts. In other words acting like a temporary enrichener circuit to assist combustion just when starting cold.

The lambda sensor in the exhaust system senses oxygen content too, and signals the ECU to optimize fuel quantity. So I was thinking the intake temperature sensor must have a slightly different purpose.

Jason

Last edited:
The outside air temp is used all the time not just when it's cold. When it is faulty it goes to a constant 20*C(limp home mode). Not all ECU's have O2 sensors, in fact you can just shut them off with the right software.
Guzzi didn't use O2 sensors until 06, 1993 was 1st year for FI and I learned from Ducati school about it in the late 80's.
Read the FI manual or service manual explains it pretty good. ECU uses all the sensors to compare what engine needs for fuel.
It's all interesting reading for those who want to learn.

Back