• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Cafe Racer rear sets?

Will

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I had my first sit on a Cafe Racer the other day......unfortunately I was rather put off by the riding position. Does anyone know of rearsets for the V7 bikes? Those stock foot pegs are fine for the "upright" Classic but are just too far forward for comfort with the clip ons on the Cafe Racer.

Both the shift and brake arms are through the frame, which will make it a costly kit... how much are you willing to spend?

If anyone here in SoCal is interested in letting me use their bike for a proto, we can get it done. Contact me direct.

Where were you that you got to sit on a V7 Cafe Classic?

I have been scoping out the 750's for awhile and have been comparing (from sitting the bikes and photos) the various peg positions. The Nevada has the most forward peg position. The V7 Classic is just rearward of the Nevada position and the Breva's are mounted again to the rear of the Classic's. (I own a Breva and have sat the Nevada and the Classic quite a few times.) As near as I can figure based on comparison photos, the V7 Cafe peg position is the same as the Breva's and that is a good knee bend though not as "jockey-like" as some sport bikes. As an all day position I find it a good fit, though when I am wearing winter gear I get binding behind the knees. Your knee is bent and your foot is under and back.

In comparison, a friend has a Kawasaki 250 Ninja with higher (stock) bars than my Breva and ridiculous rearset pegs. I actually have to grab my ankle and pull it back to put my foot on the peg, but then I guess I'm getting old....

I had rearsets on my R75/5 years ago, I didn't keep them long, even though I rode it like I stole it.

In reiteration, the V7 Classic (upright) pegs are mounted about 1" forward of the Breva and Cafe Classic pegs. The Breva mount is a bit different because of the styling pieces.

Were you sitting on a true Cafe Classic? Or was it a Classic with clip-ons?

-Jesse

In reiteration, the V7 Classic (upright) pegs are mounted about 1" forward of the Breva and Cafe Classic pegs. The Breva mount is a bit different because of the styling pieces.

Were you sitting on a true Cafe Classic? Or was it a Classic with clip-ons?

It was a genuine factory fresh Cafe Racer at my local dealer. It was right beside a V7 Classic and I couldn't see any difference in the foot pegs on the 2 bikes. Maybe I'm not observant enough?
Certainly the seating position on both the Breva & Classic are a well balanced match of bars & pegs but on the Cafe I felt I just needed my feet back a bit more.
For a couple of years I rode my old Ducati Mk3 single with the awful stock set up of clip ons & forward pegs and it was very awkward.....almost with my elbows on my knees and a killer for lower back ache after more then 50 miles. It's much improved now with rearsets from a Desmo model.
I prefer a less acute angle between my back & thighs. If the Cafe's bars are 'x' lower than the Classic's I think the foot pegs should also be 'x' further back to achieve the same comfortable riding position & angle between back & thighs.
But then maybe I just have a deformed physique!!!!!

Hi Will,

I'm not up on the newer models but I'm familiar with the old carb bikes. The Monza and Imola had rear sets, so to speak. Standard V35/50/65's had the peg bracket welded to the lower rail a few inches in front of the lever pivot. The Monza and Imola had theirs welded onto the frame directly behind the pivot.

I find the Monza quite comfortable. Not being an overly long reach to the clip ons the rear peg position is fine and gives a reasonable forward leaning position. Nowhere near as acute as on an 850 Lemans.

As for bolt on clip ons there really isn't much to bolt on to as the lower rails have the bracket. You will either need to grind off the bracket or get a set of lower rails from a Monza or Imola.

I'm not too sure of your local legal requirements but welding onto a frame may not be permitted without an engineers certificate of compliance or whatever its called in your part of the world.

Lot of mucking around on a brand new machine. :dry:

Will,

I went back and scrutinized the photos I had available and I see that the V7 Cafe and Classic do seem to have the same peg location. If they were in the same position as the Breva you'd probably like it more. Why not just get a Baby Breva? ;)

So I "sit" corrected, based on the info at hand.:laugh:

-Jesse

Why not just get a Baby Breva?

Don't worry......that has crossed my mind more than once, especially as there are plenty of older ones available for not too much money.
I was sorely tempted by one locally for about £2000 & under 4000 miles. It could have been the ideal start of a cafe racer project but I kept the money in the bank for my current project which looks capable of sucking up cash in alarming quantities......just sent stuff off to chromers & powder coaters to the tune of about £1000 and I haven't even started on the engine......and this is just an East German 2 stroke dirt bike, but admittedly a rather rare one.

the V7Cafe is not yet in Oz tho apparently close... was speaking with friend tonight just returned from Mandello - he has a V7C, loves it... anyhow he sat on a Cafe over there & said, because you can't get far back on the single seat his knees were hitting the heads and it felt cramped compared to his bike?? he is a couple inches shorter than me and I'm 6'. :dry:

Well,
It isn't about your total length, but about your individual measurements; inseam says more here, so does arm lenghts etc.

Back