• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 classic - idle issues

Joerg Stoeckner

Tuned and Synch'ed
Chaps,

my V7 from 2011 I bought used recently is a love to ride but has problems with the idle.

It is too low and engine is prone to died often, in particular when pulling clutch and closing throttle.
I tried to adjust the bypass screws by open them more (was half turn open beforehand, tested some
settings between 0 and 1,5 turn open) but it didnt really change much.

How to best adjust the idle?

Thanks so much in advance

Greetings from Germany

Joerg

Joerg, proper set up as to valve lash, TPS reset and air/bleed/idle screws using a sync tool would be required to adjust idle. When was the bike last serviced, and by whom?

Thx for answer.

was allegedly serviced 2 yrs and 5000 km ago by a guzzi dealer; that is wat the service books is telling me.

I was always used to service my old japanse bikes myself and have a synch tool and everything but this time I may get to a dealer for once to bring it in shape initially. I am sure it just needs a complete service/adjustment .

Does TPS reset require an electronic service tool or what does TPS reset do?

Thx

Thx for answer. was allegedly serviced 2 yrs and 5000 km ago by a guzzi dealer; that is wat the service books is telling me. I was always used to service my old japanse bikes myself and have a synch tool and everything but this time I may get to a dealer for once to bring it in shape initially. I am sure it just needs a complete service/adjustment . Does TPS reset require an electronic service tool or what does TPS reset do?
Sounds like it's overdue on all. Yes, the TPS requires an electronic reset either via dealer, or this type of tool I offer here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/tr-centurion-diagnostics/ (the '09-12 V7 is a 15RC ECU). TPS reset tells the ECU where '0' is for idle; Usually ~3.1º per this thread how-to using the above kit; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/centurion-vdsts-info-instructions.1676/. Hope that helps.

I am attracted by this VDSTS tool you are selling and investigated the ECU and belonging cables for the first time today.
ECU on my V7 '11 resides on the right hand side, (unlike listed in SM where it is on the left; while the regulator moved from the right hand side as shown in SM to the front of the engine, they may have changed it during the series:rolleyes:).

But back to the point: I found a 2 wire connector as well as a 3 wire connector on the ECU.
As V7 apprarently doesnt sport ABS I wonder which one would I use with the VDSTS in this case and why there are two?

Any opinion?

The diagnostic connector is a three-pin, two-wire plug near the ECU.

mine has a 2 wire 2 pin connector and a 3 wure 3 pin next to it :sweating:
see below
I guess it is the red/yellow 3 wire to be used with the diagnosis tool ?

It is the 3 wire = # 52 in wiring diagramme which I now spotted. One pin is ground.
No idea what the dubious 2 wire is for. Housed in a little cover with a yellow dot. Not listed in diagramme, maybe PLUS and Ground from Battery directly ? got to check it

The three pin is it, correct. I don't think anyone has ever uncovered the reason for the two pin connector. I suspect it may be used by the factory to power something used in testing coming off the line, but that's a guess.

Back