• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Classic Recall Notice

swindsor

Just got it firing!
I just received a recall notice for my V7 Classic (2010).

To replace the Vac Canister due to tank issues with ethanol.

Anyone know more about this?

I have a 2010 Cafe. I imagine it is subject to the recall too but I have not received a notice yet. Harper's MG in the US posted something on one of the forums about having the canisters in stock for thia replacement. I will try and track that post down.

check this out:

Piaggio has issued a recall on certain 2009-2011 V7 Classic and Café models to replace the canister valve to lower the vapor pressure
inside the fuel tank and allow for proper venting. The attempt I believe is to keep the tanks from swelling. This applies ONLY to V7 Classic and Cafe models.

Hopefully this is a fix and will apply to all other machines with similar problems. If you don't want to wait to see if the recalls will apply to other machines at a later date and just try the part, you an order from any Guzzi Dealer. Order #860138 for a cost of $24.40.

If you have one of the affected machines cantact your local dealer for the repairs.

Curtis
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-800-752-9735

Thank you for the link. That explains why my tank was slipping and shifting on the mounts.

Scott

The recall is to replace a 'check valve' on the U.S. evap system that keeps the plastic fuel tank from under or over pressurization. Unfortunately, tanks are also deforming due to other causes and this fix will not do anything about that.

I would assume Moto Guzzi would replace a distorted tank under a factory warranty situation? I just got the notice and have also found 3 places on the right side of my tank and around the filler neck that have distorted. Has anyone had trouble getting a tank replaced for this issue?
JCD

Well...... It's been three months since I contacted my local dealer to get this fixed. They finally contacted me and said they had received the part for the recall. I made an appointment to have it done and took my bike in. They had it for a week and.... yup, it's still not done. Not sure if MG has issues getting the parts needed to the dealer or if I just have a really bad dealer. I mean they have had it for a week....It's a one hour fix....and can't get it done.
Now I realize part of my problem is that this was the first great weekend that we have had this year and everyone was riding except for on V7C in Spokane......sigh.
Just hope others are getting better service from MG that I have.

swindsor said:
Well...... It's been three months since I contacted my local dealer to get this fixed. They finally contacted me and said they had received the part for the recall. I made an appointment to have it done and took my bike in. They had it for a week and.... yup, it's still not done. Not sure if MG has issues getting the parts needed to the dealer or if I just have a really bad dealer. I mean they have had it for a week....It's a one hour fix....and can't get it done.
Now I realize part of my problem is that this was the first great weekend that we have had this year and everyone was riding except for on V7C in Spokane......sigh.

If I were you I would go pick up your bike and write a letter to Moto Guzzi N.A. and tell them you couldn't get your bike fixed at that dealer. Life is too short to put up with poor service like that.

swindsor said:

Something is rotten here as it is a 5 minute fix. Take your bike to another dealer.

Bill

Fix it yourself. Two 1/2" diameter hose clamps and a 1/4" x 1/4" barbed fitting from any automotive parts store will get you fixed up. Remove the factory check valve throw it in the nearest trash can and coupling the hosed together with the hose clamps and the barbed fitting. Done! Now you never have to worry about the check valve again.

Hello

Well this new to me I have a v7 racer limited edition and I have not received any recall notice. I am not surprised about the fact that people are waiting a long time to get these bikes fixed. I had a major spill in april 7 2012 . The damage was mostly cosmetic except for the triple crown the stop tabs broke, that is what a tank slapper will do at 140, before it spits you out. Bike is still rideable, Any way wanted to get it fixed ordered parts from the dealer and this now sept 25 2012. Parts are not all there ( about 2500$)????
Question: is this normal for guzzi? I am a new owner and I do have a R1150r , I sold my 68 norton atlas and i was able to get parts within a week or 2.
Getting a bit frustrated with this and I hear that aprilla owners are have the same issues. So when I hear that you waited 2weeks to get something fixed and it is still not done???? I rethinking my owner ship of this brand!
:dry:
Maurice

The recall wouldn't affect your bike.

Sorry about your crash and the wait for parts. Most of the routine maintenance pieces and parts in demand are stocked by one or more of the big online dealers. But damage as extensive as your is going to mean waiting for shipments from Italy.

Sometimes even a part that should be easy to get takes patience. I've been waiting more than a month for a cracked turn signal stalk.

Guzzi isn't alone in this, but it can be frustrating.

On my V7 Racer, I removed the canister and the check valve, It took care of the tank overpressurizing in the negative direction. Yes the tank was sucking itself inside out so much I couldnt get the cap off one day after riding. Then I sold the bike and the Ducati Sport Classic that has had one tank replaced already. Thats the reason they went to metal tanks on Guzzis. I'm done with worrying about ethanol. Gas won't get any better and neither will those plastic tanks. Lifes too short to deal with distorting plastic gas tanks on two bikes that I wasn't in love with enough to live with their issues. Too many other bikes out there, and in my garage. Good luck with that, Ducati finally admitted to the problem and will have to continually replace the tanks on the Sport line, that they have since discontinued those bikes. ~T~

DucDucGoose said:
On my V7 Racer, I removed the canister and the check valve, It took care of the tank overpressurizing in the negative direction. Yes the tank was sucking itself inside out so much I couldnt get the cap off one day after riding. Then I sold the bike and the Ducati Sport Classic that has had one tank replaced already. Thats the reason they went to metal tanks on Guzzis. I'm done with worrying about ethanol. Gas won't get any better and neither will those plastic tanks. Lifes too short to deal with distorting plastic gas tanks on two bikes that I wasn't in love with enough to live with their issues. Too many other bikes out there, and in my garage. Good luck with that, Ducati finally admitted to the problem and will have to continually replace the tanks on the Sport line, that they have since discontinued those bikes. ~T~

How did your tank go into a vacuum once you removed the canister and check valve? If done correctly the tank vent is open to atmosphere making it impossible to pull a vacuum. Are you sure the tank vent wasn't blocked and/or pinched?

For parts, you could try Ebay or ordering directly from overseas vendors.

Tell us more about your violent tank slapper. How did that come about?

Joe

Tank slapper.

Well, it was a cold Early spring sunny Sunday afternoon Here in Owen sound area (Temp was 3c). Cold suspension and rough road at a good clip. I took the winding lake shore road came to a curve made the curve but at the bottom of the curve in the strait away was 4, 3 inch bumps at 4 ft interval and the bike just acted like a pogo stick. Held on ( to dear life)until the front wheel locked sideways . The triple crown locking tabS broke. the bike slid 100ft in the middle of the road and I slid about 50ft on my back . The bike was still running on its side!!! Hurt my shoulder from the initial fall ( did a roll , thanks to martial arts training!!!). The last time I fell off a bike was 30years ago, well I best review my skills!!
Maurice

Perazzimx14 said:
How did your tank go into a vacuum once you removed the canister and check valve? If done correctly the tank vent is open to atmosphere making it impossible to pull a vacuum. Are you sure the tank vent wasn't blocked and/or pinched?
As I mentioned removing the canister and check valve took care of the venting problem. However, the recall I received was to replace the gas cap and seal that doesn't allow venting. It seems to cover/plug the vent hole. I've dealt with the plastic tank issue on the Ducati already and decided not to deal with it any more on either bike. The V7 Racer is cute, but really a good starter bike, and around town bike. Also.... Tank Slap at 140? must be talking KM's ? Even with the better suspension the Racer has, I would not be running at high speeds on that bike unless it was straight line. ~T~

Back