Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above. WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 Fuel Filter Not Replaceable?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Mayakovski, May 13, 2019.

1. SMTCapeCod

SMTCapeCod Mechanochondriasism GT di Razza Pura

Standing by for said pics...

Mayakovski likes this.
  2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I did a video on it yesterday... I'll pin this thread also.
    Goes without saying best to run the fuel low or drain the tank as we did for the the video below.

3. Roose

Roose Tuned and Synch'ed

Finally got around to replacing the V7III Fuel Filter. Glad that video was there. Along with the good advice in the above replies. It's a little stubborn getting out of the tank. A little patience and a little extra pressure and it slides out. The original filter certainly looks like it was gong to pop any day. Took it for a short 5 minute ride around the neighborhood. No issues.

1hLqAolFQpGjmeLahuBfR2dVCP1nGWcCC.jpg 1hMDuMxmU9gs8CVDxZ7TDNE5eJiQWp4n1.jpg

4. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Sure do agree with that! However, they DID get it in, and it WILL come back out. It's like those little twisted wire puzzles, which must be aligned exactly correctly to decouple them. It took me a couple of frustrating, fruitless hours one day. I put it down in disgust and came back to it the next day. It all-but fell out as I picked it up.

Roose likes this.
  5. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

never would have mattered if they haden't cheaped out on the diesel filter!

Mayakovski likes this.
  6. Roose

Roose Tuned and Synch'ed

Haha....so true!

7. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Tuned and Synch'ed

My advice on replacing the fuel pump/fuel filter is use a bloomin torque wrench, I think it is just 8Nm

edit as wrong figure: 5Nm (thanks for the correction @sib

on the 6 fuel pump bolts.... and is a £500+ mistake if you overtighten them as it'll smash your pump mounting. I found this out the hard (and expensive way) when I got my tank painted a couple of years back!

pump.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

According to the V7II service manual, the correct torque is 5 Nm.

Hippo-Drones likes this.
  9. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

I did mine with a 1/4" ratchet. i don't know how you got in there with enough power to do that.

10. Hippo-Drones

seriously, it didn't take much, was using a small ratchet too and I'm no Popeye! :D

11. Hippo-Drones

soz, I was just going off top of my head, was 2 yrs ago lol... but good to put the correct figures in here! :)

12. foggy95

foggy95 Tuned and Synch'ed

I just went to replace my fuel filter (2019 V7III Special) just as I have done on my previous V7's ... got the assembly out and much to my surprise - the filter was a Mahle KL145 all metal filter! Someone at the factory must have been listening. And no, this could not have been done post factory, as my bike was just purchased new by me and had a total of seven miles on it!

Mayakovski likes this.
  13. GT-Rx®

Yes, some of the 2019-20 V7s have had all metal. Put it on the shelf for down the road. Not many people change them on the suggested schedule. ;)

14. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've never seen any V7(I and II) service manual or owner's booklet state anything about changing the fuel filter or any schedule for that.

15. GT-Rx®

Of course not. It’s not a lifetime filter. The rule of thumb when replacing a fuel filter is every ~2 years or 30,000 miles. The best way to tell if your fuel filter needs replacing to do a fuel pressure test.