• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
All, I just pulled my '12 V7R fuel pump assembly, and found the same dreaded half plastic/metal filter that has been plaguing other models here in the U.S. with split filters. I recommend pull and replace ASAP. I don't have any info yet on the '13+ models. Just FYI.

Replacement offerings in the Store here; http://store.guzzitech.com/store/category/39-filters

V7 FuelFilterSwell

Last edited:
Todd -
Why is it dreaded? Were you having a problem/issue with your fuel system? What do you recommend as a replacement?

Thanks,
-Mildly freaked out

volloy said:
Todd - Why is it dreaded? Were you having a problem/issue with your fuel system? What do you recommend as a replacement?
You will have no problem until the engine dies and won't restart, likely leaving you stranded unless you're lucky being parked at your home or eq. The filter (as you can see), is half plastic (starts as a milky white, then yellows as it bloats)/half metal. The plastic swells/deforms until it separates from the metal half stopping fuel flow to the assembly.
Search the Norge Forum for the all-metal fuel filter alternates, or I'll post them here once I dig them up.

Dang. Stupid plastic.

sounds like a mandatory mod unless you enjoy uncomfortable rides with strangers.

Does anyone have any info if they used them in the 13'+ V7s? I could check mine out at some point but if anyone knows if they went to all metal that would be better.

francod123 said:
Does anyone have any info if they used them in the 13'+ V7s? I could check mine out at some point but if anyone knows if they went to all metal that would be better.
If you have a lower fuel level, you *might* be able to get a small mirror down into the tank if you can get it past the fuel filler hole, otherwise you can unbolt the fuel cap ring to have a look, which is certainly easier then pulling the tank and pump assy. My wager is that it too uses the half/half filter.

Here's a UFI filter from mgcycle. Lists V7 for application

mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=40

Looks like MAHLE KL145 works as well and is a popular choice.

You can also use the BMW fuel filter for K and R injected bikes. I pulled this filter list from a BMW site. I'd only be reluctant to use a Fram filter if it is the same quality as their oil filters.

Triumph Stock - T1240850
AC GF61
BMW - 16 14 2 325 859
Mann MWK44
Fleetguard FF149
Fram G2
KNECHT MAHLE KL145
Motocraft FG-2
Napa Gold 3032
Purolator - F20011
Wix 33032

I can't believe they went back to the half-plastic filters. Remember the bad batch of Nevadas that had them? It was a plague.

My wager is that it's a cheaper, and some wonk at the factory just bought them not knowing the past problems.

I pulled this list of replacements from a Guzzi site:
" Interchange with: Triumph - T1240850 / AC GF61 / BMW - 16 14 2 325 859 / Fleetguard FF149 / Fram G2 and G3802 / Knecht Mahle KL145 / Motocraft FG-2 / Napa Gold 3032 / Purolator - F20011 / Wix 33032 / Mann MWK 44 / Deutsch FF424 "

Also: "All-metal Mahle KL145 or Mann MWK 44 are good all-metal choices. AC, Fram, and Purolator filters are plastic, and questionable."

I swear that I have read about this before.....and that the problem is related to ethanol in the fuel.

If this is so, would I be safe as the premium fuels in Canada do not contain ethanol?!

T

Is the 2007 Nevada Classic I am picking up tomorrow likely to suffer suffer from the same affliction if it still has original filter fitted?

Lofty

The one in my Norge was a Mahle KL150, I contacted Mahle in the UK and asked why it failed.
They told me that filter was specifically designed to work with diesel fuel, and petrol (gasoline) would destroy the adhesive which held the two parts together.
The correct Guzzi filter is the Mahle KL145 as said above, but UFI make an equivalent.
Why some bean counter has reordered the wrong type again beggars belief.

Todd, double check your fitment on the all metal filter. The NTX has a different arrangement for the fuel filter and a different part number from the other in-tank filters.
IMG_0880-M.jpg

You can see that the filter is connected to a fuel line on one side but is then jammed into a female connection on the other side. At the female connection side there is an odd sleeve and O-ring to seal the unit.
IMG_0881-M.jpg

IMG_0908-M.jpg

I tried to find an all metal replacement but none of my old favorites would work, the NAPA Gold was the one I tried with no luck. I ended up getting the Guzzi part again. Here you can see that the old filter had yellowed but otherwise looked OK. Since I had everything at hand I installed the new one anyway. The good news is that the fuel pump is easy to get to, don't have to take the tank off on the NTX. The bad news is that the filter is all plastic.

The bike was about 18 months old and had about 15K miles at the time.

Peter Y.

pyoungbl said:
Todd, double check your fitment on the all metal filter. The NTX has a different arrangement for the fuel filter and a different part number from the other in-tank filters.
Peter, thanks, assume this is for the '12+ big tank NTX, yes? This post was focused on the V7's, but I've added the fitment years to the Store page on the filter. Thanks for the note on the NTX filter, I did see that in your prior post in the Stelvio section.

Todd, yes...my post was about the big tank NTX. Your store link shows that the metal filter is for the Stelvio. That is probably correct for the smaller tank version. I'm sure you don't want to ship the wrong thing to an NTX owner.

Peter Y.

keenerkeen07 said:
Looks like my 2007 Griso 1100 uses this filter as well ...
Is there anything else to look for with the fuel pump while i am at it ? Cheers Keenerkeen
Yes, it sure will.
I'm not going to advertise the brand as it will vary depending on what I have in stock, but it will be one of those listed earlier in this thread.
I now have these on the shelf ready to ship, they also include fuel line rated hose clamps as shown below. Click on image to order:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back