Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, it sure will.
    I'm not going to advertise the brand as it will vary depending on what I have in stock, but it will be one of those listed earlier in this thread.
    I now have these on the shelf ready to ship, they also include fuel line rated hose clamps as shown below. Click on image to order:

[​IMG]

scudracer likes this.
  2. 99sh

99sh Tuned and Synch'ed

I just purchased the Mahle filter along with some Oetiker clamps. I'll post results whether the 2013's use the half plastic filter or not (they probably do).

3. sign216

sign216 High Miler

John/Pokeyjoe,

I am getting old, and I'm not talking about getting wiser either.

Tell me, is this filter list okay, or does it need refreshing?:

Triumph - T1240850 / AC GF61 / BMW - 16 14 2 325 859 / Fleetguard FF149 / Fram G2 and G3802 / Knecht Mahle KL145 / Motocraft FG-2 / Napa Gold 3032 / Purolator - F20011 / Wix 33032 / Mann MWK 44 / Deutsch FF424 "

4. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

The '13 has the same tank - 'cept for the chrome.

Joe - I haven't looked at the list since last spring. I don't know anything new.

5. Zinfan

Zinfan Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I can tell you that my '13 V7 Stone had the half plastic filter.

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks for the confirmation.

7. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Cruisin' Guzzisti

Another data point, my '13 V7 Special has the plastic/metal filter and the plastic has bulged like it's ready to have twins! The bike is only 10 months old, about 1800 miles. When you do this service be advised it's a real PITA to wiggle the whole mess out of the tank. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to NAPA in the morning. At least this is one less thing to go wrong.

Peter Y.

8. Lofty1956

Lofty1956 Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi All - I have just purchased a 2007 Nevada Classic and I am anxious to address this problemASAP
    ( it's almost certain nothing has been done at this stage - it only had 985 Kms on the clock when I picked it up) -is there a tutorial or any Info on lifting the tank and/or what is involved in accessing the fuel pump assembly? - any hints greatly appreciated.

Lofty

9. bdcfe

bdcfe Tuned and Synch'ed

My '13 Special also had this half plastic filter and it was pretty swollen. It's a 20 minute job to replace, but 10 of those are wriggling the fuel pump assembly in and out of the tank. Plus I ended up dumping a bunch of fuel in my lap. Aside from that, I'd consider this a minor inconvenience, though MG should have known better than to use those filters.

DSC00008_zpsb4ec69e0.jpg

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

This is what happens when bean counters control parts sourcing. If it is 0.01 Euro cheaper, that is what gets ordered.

11. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Lofty1956, start here:

motoguzzimaintenance.wikifoundry.com/page/Breva+750+Fuel+Filter+Replacement

12. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Anyone know what size oetiker ear clamps are used for the fuel filter?

13. pyoungbl

the clamps on my V7 were 11.3

Peter Y.

14. bdcfe

bdcfe Tuned and Synch'ed

They're 11.3 mm ID. I believe that's also 7/16".

Edit- I just put calipers on the spare I have (thanks, Peter), and it's exactly 11.3mm.

15. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Great. Thank you sir. Did you find it easier to use the pincher tool when removing and replacing the clamps?

16. bdcfe

bdcfe Tuned and Synch'ed

They're strong clamps and are close to the filter body. I was able to snip off the ear with some heavy duty Snap On side cutters, but I had to really squeeze hard. You can also peel them apart with needle nose pliers after crushing a bit with side cutters.

They make special tools to crimp, but I use end-nippers which work perfectly.

17. bdcfe

bdcfe Tuned and Synch'ed

The only difficult part about this is maneuvering the pump assembly in and out of the tank. It seems impossible at first, but with enough twisting and fiddling it will eventually come out. Just go easy so you don't damage anything.

My hoses were pliable enough to slip onto my replacement filter without any trouble. I used a Mann all-metal filter from Joe's list as a replacement. The body was slightly smaller than the stock filter, but that shouldn't matter.

18. Lofty1956

Lofty1956 Tuned and Synch'ed

Thx Mackers - some useful info on that site that just didn't appear in my search results. I have just concluded a 3yr. relationship with a 94 Cali 1100i and felt like I had a fairly good understanding of how it all went together but having now downsized to the Nevada it seems like I'm starting all over so at the moment I'm soaking up anything I can set eyes on - I guess in a lot of respects the systems etc. are pretty much the same, but at the same time there are lots of small but significant variations and this is the challenge (and fun) I'm facing - thx again.

Lofty

19. NWJ611

NWJ611 Just got it firing!

would this be the correct size for screw style hose clamps for the v7 fuel filter...I'm leaning towards yes but wondering if anyone knows for sure.

amazon.com/AAS-Fuel-Injectio ... B0040CWZR0

Pretty sure that's too big. The 1/4" refers to the inside hose diameter, but that's thick SAE style rubber hose, not the thin nylon hose used inside the fuel tank. The 7/16" -1/2" refers to the actual clamping range, which is too big (about 11-13 mm).

I'm pretty sure you need 9mm clamps (the fittings on the filter are 8mm), which are not commonly available. Presumably that's the size included with the filter Todd sells.
    If you only need the clamps, Euro Moto Electrics in Colorado and Beemer Boneyard in NJ sell these size clamps. They're used in BMW K-bikes as well when replacing the original thick rubber hoses w/ nylon.
    Hope that helps.

20. pyoungbl

The OEM clamps are marked 11.3. That's the Oetiker clamp size.

Peter Y.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.