Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Amidst the global dilemma, we’re offering free shipping in the U.S. now EXTENDED through Monday (4/6). Use COVID-19-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone, stay healthy, and please be helpful to those who aren’t.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum, by FACT NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - it should be common sense, but sadly needs to be stated; BE COURTEOUS! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

My tank is off but I haven't actually tackled replacing the fuel filter yet, but I should actually take a look myself before I go buying 10 different size clamps! haha!

Well, I purchased the 9mm ones too as suggested above, so I'll have both the 1/4", which clamp 7/16" to 1/2" and the 9mm and I'll see which ones work.

2. derylt

derylt Just got it firing!

Definitely sounds like a must-do mod! What is the usual service life of the all-metal filter, Todd?

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Of course I'd recommend Guzzi's maintenance interval, but you can probably easily double it. That said, I know some folks that have never changed them in 100k miles, so your call. I tend to replace them every 30k or so personally.

4. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have looked through the owners manual for my V7 and cannot find a maintenance interval for the fuel filter. I have the same experience with my Stelvio...no service interval at all.

5. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Yea, I didn't find the fuel filter interval either. For the fuel filter a lot of manufacturers use an interval that's double the air filter interval, so that's what I do: approx 20k miles.

6. derylt

derylt Just got it firing!

Thanks for the helpful advice! I was surprised that my manual ('08 1200 Sport) didn't have an interval for changing the fuel filter.

7. francod123

anyone got a few pointers as to how to maneuver this fucker outta the tank. it's a bitch! I'm sure it will just happen at some point during the next 30 minutes...

8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Nope, just keep wiggling it around changing the angles. It will come out with very little force. Only the screen/pouch for the filter will hook.

9. francod123

ok ill keep trying...it's obnoxiously difficult though!

10. francod123

I'm getting half of it out but can't find that sweet spot yet..

11. francod123

finally got it

12. shawshank

shawshank Just got it firing!

Hello All!

I need some assistance. I changed the spongy plastic fuel filter with a metal one. While I had the tank off I decided to install a K&N filter. I put everything back together and now the idle is very rough. I took it out for spin and it hesitates at 10k then slowly moves to 20k then really kicks in at 30k-40k! I freaking pop a wheely which the neighborhood kids really liked. :shock: The bike then dies and takes awhile to start back up and then it happens all other again.

So I checked the air lines for a kink and found one was crimped, fixed it but I get the same result - hard to get going, then it kicks in but shifting down to first provides the same results. It barely moves or has power in first unless I feather the clutch and throttle it.

I have re-seated the fuel tank many times, put the old air filter in, removed my PCV and still the same. I even removed all the fuel and double checked that the fuel filter was secured properly.I :roll:

This is driving me crazy!

13. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Is this a small block? Since you mentioned PCV I'm not sure.

14. shawshank

Yes, it is small block.

15. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Check connections to the air temp sensor. That should be near the airbox. Also any other connection in the area to include the engine temp sensor..

2nr likes this.
  16. shawshank

Thanks John! All the connections look fine. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

17. 99sh

99sh Tuned and Synch'ed

40K RPM!! That's some serious RPM for a guzzi. :eek:

Did you check for kinked fuel lines? There's one the one that goes over the frame (the one that goes between both injectors). There's a natural kink in the middle of the hose by design. Check it out.

18. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Having done a B750 fuel filter replacement, I reckon that it's very easy to install it back-to-front. Would it still allow fuel through if that was done and cause these symptoms?

19. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

I purchased a replacement Mahle all-metal fuel filter and I'm planning to install it soon in my V7 Stone. How likely will it be that I'll also have to replace the fuel pump gasket? I notice that these gaskets are not readily available in the US and they're rather pricy, costing about 2-3 times the cost of the fuel filter.

20. bdcfe

bdcfe Tuned and Synch'ed

I used the same replacement filter. You can re-use the fuel pump gasket without any trouble. It was in nice shape and came off cleanly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.