Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Todd, I had a look this afternoon and the fuel pump is on the left hand side toward the rear. I couldn't see anything, partly because I had only just filled it up before I saw tour reply. I think an inspection camera might be the only thing to do the trick. There seems to be a ridge down the centre of the tank inside as though the tank is a saddle tank?

Cheers
    Brian

2. organfixsing

organfixsing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Todd, just looked at the parts manual and yes there is a tube running from the top of the steering head to near the back of the tank, so that explains the intrusive ridge inside the tank.
    Cheers
    Brian

3. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

My 2014 California Touring had the all metal filter so maybe they have wised up on all the models. Either that or finally ran out of the batch of half plastic filters they bought really cheap!

4. Cam3512

Cam3512 Tuned and Synch'ed

Unfortunately with Guzzi, that doesn't mean squat. My 2009 Calvin came with an all metal filter

5. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Gerry's 15 Stone had a filter that needed replacing at 3000 miles. half plastic, it was

6. GerryP

GerryP Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yellow and bloated it was.

F'n Ethenol even distorted the plastic tank on my 2001 Sprint ST.

7. King of Fleece

Changing mine Wed. morning.

8. King of Fleece

Mine was swollen and bloated. It looked ready to burst. 3100 miles on it.
    Glad it's done.

9. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

2016 V7 II Special:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, nothing has changed. I'm guessing the slightly swollen appearance is just the way they are made. I've only had gas in the tank for a little over a week. I can squeeze it with my fingers, too. So that test on an old filter doesn't mean much.

10. King of Fleece

I'm not sure of that conclusion. Given that there is a sample that are spongy but have not failed is not conclusive that they won't in XXXXX amount of time.

Having seen a new one the color and texture and not as it is after exposure to gasoline. As some will not change them out prophylactically we have a good test going. We'll all learn something here. I'm all for that.

11. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

So assuming this is present in my 2014 V7 Special, what are the costs associated with having this switched out by the shop? I'd honestly love to do most of the work myself, but the condo corporation frowns upon any motor vehicle maintenance. Also, how long does the hybrid filter last for as it would probably make logistical sense to wait for my next service period.

Cheers,
    Chris

12. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi Chris. I had mine changed at a shop along with some other work in Oct. 2014. I can't breakout the time just for the filter but I would guess about 2 hours. I had about 2400 miles on the bike (2013) and it was already starting to swell. If you are going to lay the bike up for the winter now I think it would be best to do it now.

13. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Nope, and per above "A nice man from Mahle customer support told me that the half plastic KL150 was not intended for use in petrol/gasoline." See image below.

They can come apart in as little as 6 months, to never to date as I'm sure many who own them don't know. As a guess, 1-2 hours max shop time. If you are taking the bike back for a running issue, why not have them do it then? If your next service is at 10k, and the bike sits all Winter with fuel in the tank (as it should), I would replace it in the Spring latest. I'll always try to have some in stock; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters/

Mahle-KL150.jpg

14. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

It's easy to do yourself I dont think your condo people would notice. It's not like working on a car. I pulled my tank off and did it at my coffee table in my living room. Better then paying some joe to do it.

15. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Unfortunately the condo corporation is pretty strict with this kind of stuff. Little things like changing bars and such isn't an issue, but more involved tasks will have them breathing down my neck!

I'll see what the shop says this weekend. If they don't have something like this stocked, then I'll be ordering it from you and having them replace it in the spring.

16. King of Fleece

Go to a friend's house perhaps?

17. drlapo

drlapo Tuned and Synch'ed

Did mine last weekend. Not technically challenging but a bit fiddly.
    No real issues just depressurize the lines before removing the fuel line
    The plastic part of the filter is yellowed and swollen in 2 years and3700 miles

18. Cam3512

Cam3512 Tuned and Synch'ed

Just changed mine out too. The pump assembly went back in easier than it came out. After 2 years, my stock filter had swollen plastic but it was still solid, and I couldn't physically separate the two pieces. Who knows, but I'll feel better with the all metal piece.

19. ChupaThingy

ChupaThingy Just got it firing!

Hey, Todd. Did you have to drain the fuel tank to remove the fuel pump assy?

20. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

No, but it does need to be at a low enough level so when you lay the tank on it's side, it won't flow out of the hole for the pump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.