Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

you can also get an app for your phone so you can find E0 when on the road.
    Dan

TimmyTheHog likes this.
  2. ChupaThingy

ChupaThingy Just got it firing!

Finally got around to swapping mine out today.. the plastic on the old filter tells me it could have gone at any moment. A little tricky to get the pump assy. out of the tank but well worth it!

roadscum, Stradagene and GT-Rx® like this.
  3. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

Why do you say that?

Along those lines, what does this plastic tell you?

[​IMG]

4. ChupaThingy

ChupaThingy Just got it firing!

Hey Kev, that filter looks identical to the one I pulled from my tank.
    I lightly squeezed the bloated plastic and it cracked and slightly separated from the metal half, the plastic was brittle. It may have been slightly cracked already when I pulled the assy from the tank. (I gingerly removed the pump assy from the tank, no ham-fisted yanking) It's still possible I damaged the plastic upon removal, but based on how brittle it was I think it was bound to happen.

roadscum and Stradagene like this.
  5. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Kev, I don't know why you are so defensive. It is obviously the wrong material for the job, namely gasoline with ethanol. It gets soft, swells up, changes color, and has been known to fail.
    Just the color change and swelling would be considered a failure on the space shuttle; I consider it a failure too; I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
    Dan

roadscum and Stradagene like this.
  6. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

Chupa, here's the thing. THAT'S the filter I tested to 120 psi without failure. And if your filter was cracked before removal you should have had running problems due to low pressure.

Red, I'm not defensive in the slightest. Butt I am trying to combat the sky is falling panic that this issue seems to create.

I agree the material might be suceptable to something found in fuels, ethanol, additives, etc. but I don't think we know how suceptable or how common it is.

Yes there are a handful of failures and maybe that's enough for most to replace it. But many people just look at them and say "yeah they were gonna fail" adding to the paranoia.

And it's a paranoid the contributes to people steering clear if Guzzi sometimes which I think is a shame.

So that's my only dog in the hunt, that and the fact that I've now had two half plastic filters each used for 3-4 years and 10-15k miles in nothing but ethanol that were no where near failing.

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Kev, since the company that makes the filters states clearly it was never designed to be used in anything but diesel, can we agree and lay this to rest that it should be replaced before it strands someone? This issue started all the way back in '07 with the Griso 1100s (stranded many - same filter).
    If anyone here reading this would rather wait until it separates, they are more welcome to do so. This thread is just to let people know before their bike dies. This issue comes up often.
    I offer the all metal version one here for those that care not to wait; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters/

8. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

Todd, I want people to make up their own minds based on the actual data at hand and not assumptions.

When I've asked for first hand reports on WG I've gotten less than 4.

If this was a fait accompli we would have MANY more reports in a decade.

9. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Some of us don't have to put up with E10 in our fuel. Just saying .......:devil:

BenRCMC likes this.
  10. GT-Rx®

Sure and I could give a FF about WG. I replaced over dozen personally on G11s and 12s, Brevas/Norges and Stelvios. I've done 6 on V7s since '13. Is it an epidemic, no... however you again are ignoring the simple fact that the filter manufacturer CLEARLY STATES IT IS NOT RATED FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN DIESEL. Period.

Dave, see the last line above.

11. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

Preventative maintenance goes a long way on a motorcycle.

12. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

So to be clear, you replaced a dozen the failed or you assume would have failed?

Yeah, the manufacturer said it's rated/designed whatever for diesel.

That doesn't mean they KNOW it will fail if used in something else, no?

5000+ bikes per year, times then years. I'd think we'd see a few more failures if it was guaranteed.

13. GT-Rx®

Failed/separated. Just let it rest. Up to those reading this if they want to wait for it to fail/strand them.
    This thread is now locked.

scudracer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.