• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 fuel filter WARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The V7 II parts manual doesn't show much, and I haven't had my hands on one yet. Unless they moved it to the back again (and no reason I can imagine for production costs/reasons), it should've been visible. You can slightly lift the tank from the back to see where the pump assembly is positioned. Let us know what you find.

Todd, I had a look this afternoon and the fuel pump is on the left hand side toward the rear. I couldn't see anything, partly because I had only just filled it up before I saw tour reply. I think an inspection camera might be the only thing to do the trick. There seems to be a ridge down the centre of the tank inside as though the tank is a saddle tank?

Cheers
Brian

Todd, I had a look this afternoon and the fuel pump is on the left hand side toward the rear. I couldn't see anything, partly because I had only just filled it up before I saw tour reply. I think an inspection camera might be the only thing to do the trick. There seems to be a ridge down the centre of the tank inside as though the tank is a saddle tank?

Cheers
Brian
Todd, just looked at the parts manual and yes there is a tube running from the top of the steering head to near the back of the tank, so that explains the intrusive ridge inside the tank.
Cheers
Brian

My 2014 California Touring had the all metal filter so maybe they have wised up on all the models. Either that or finally ran out of the batch of half plastic filters they bought really cheap!

My 2014 California Touring had the all metal filter so maybe they have wised up on all the models. Either that or finally ran out of the batch of half plastic filters they bought really cheap!

Unfortunately with Guzzi, that doesn't mean squat. My 2009 Calvin came with an all metal filter

2016 V7 II Special:

xPk2Kp.jpg

c4Jmdt.jpg

Well, nothing has changed. I'm guessing the slightly swollen appearance is just the way they are made. I've only had gas in the tank for a little over a week. I can squeeze it with my fingers, too. So that test on an old filter doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure of that conclusion. Given that there is a sample that are spongy but have not failed is not conclusive that they won't in XXXXX amount of time.

Having seen a new one the color and texture and not as it is after exposure to gasoline. As some will not change them out prophylactically we have a good test going. We'll all learn something here. I'm all for that.

I'm guessing the slightly swollen appearance is just the way they are made
Nope, and per above "A nice man from Mahle customer support told me that the half plastic KL150 was not intended for use in petrol/gasoline." See image below.

So assuming this is present in my 2014 V7 Special, what are the costs associated with having this switched out by the shop? Also, how long does the hybrid filter last for as it would probably make logistical sense to wait for my next service period.
They can come apart in as little as 6 months, to never to date as I'm sure many who own them don't know. As a guess, 1-2 hours max shop time. If you are taking the bike back for a running issue, why not have them do it then? If your next service is at 10k, and the bike sits all Winter with fuel in the tank (as it should), I would replace it in the Spring latest. I'll always try to have some in stock; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters/

Mahle KL150

So assuming this is present in my 2014 V7 Special, what are the costs associated with having this switched out by the shop? I'd honestly love to do most of the work myself, but the condo corporation frowns upon any motor vehicle maintenance. Also, how long does the hybrid filter last for as it would probably make logistical sense to wait for my next service period.

Cheers,
Chris

So assuming this is present in my 2014 V7 Special, what are the costs associated with having this switched out by the shop? I'd honestly love to do most of the work myself, but the condo corporation frowns upon any motor vehicle maintenance. Also, how long does the hybrid filter last for as it would probably make logistical sense to wait for my next service period.

Cheers,
Chris
Hi Chris. I had mine changed at a shop along with some other work in Oct. 2014. I can't breakout the time just for the filter but I would guess about 2 hours. I had about 2400 miles on the bike (2013) and it was already starting to swell. If you are going to lay the bike up for the winter now I think it would be best to do it now.

It's easy to do yourself I dont think your condo people would notice. It's not like working on a car. I pulled my tank off and did it at my coffee table in my living room. Better then paying some joe to do it.

Unfortunately the condo corporation is pretty strict with this kind of stuff. Little things like changing bars and such isn't an issue, but more involved tasks will have them breathing down my neck!

I'll see what the shop says this weekend. If they don't have something like this stocked, then I'll be ordering it from you and having them replace it in the spring.

Did mine last weekend. Not technically challenging but a bit fiddly.
No real issues just depressurize the lines before removing the fuel line
The plastic part of the filter is yellowed and swollen in 2 years and3700 miles

Just changed mine out too. The pump assembly went back in easier than it came out. After 2 years, my stock filter had swollen plastic but it was still solid, and I couldn't physically separate the two pieces. Who knows, but I'll feel better with the all metal piece.

Hey, Todd. Did you have to drain the fuel tank to remove the fuel pump assy?
No, but it does need to be at a low enough level so when you lay the tank on it's side, it won't flow out of the hole for the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back