• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II Alternator Cover Oil Leak

pokeyjoe

High Miler
I developed an oil leak around the grommet that encases the stator wires as they exit the stator cover (V7 II with a wet alternator). Examination, after tearing it down, revealed that the RTV sealant had pulled away from the cover on one side of the grommet.

I have been trying to figure out why it suddenly started to leak. I figured it out when I was putting it all back together. I put an Agostini 2-into-1 exhaust on my bike a month or so ago and the pipe from the left cylinder crosses right in front of the area with the leak. I think the heat from the exhaust heated the aluminum up enough for it to flex and break the RTV seal.

I’m not going to run the bike again until I get some sort of a heat shield on the exhaust. By the way, there is oil there (high on the cover) because this is also the timing case and oil is getting flung off the chain as it crosses the camshaft gear.

Self-induced problems....

Heat would be my line of thought , my tt had a lm1 style front crossover and suffered from heat problems with the alternator and ignition

To make matters worse, that pipe is really close to the voltage regulator. I should've thought about the heat when I put it on. I hate exhaust wrap, but I really don't have much choice. I guess I would really only have to wrap about 8" of the pipe.

Go look over on J&P Cycles list of exhaust heat shields. They have heat shields that will work for just about any situation. Years ago I had to purchase one for one of the HD's to save the heel of my boots from melting.

To make matters worse, that pipe is really close to the voltage regulator. I should've thought about the heat when I put it on. I hate exhaust wrap, but I really don't have much choice. I guess I would really only have to wrap about 8" of the pipe.
I looked at the new v7 Stornelo that is sat in the showroom.. Now that manifold / header is close to the regulator!

Here is my fix:

ajIBNk.jpg

I still need to ride it and make sure I don't have any leaks.

Same leak with stock headers...and I've also seen another. First year with wet alternator...

My 2016 V7 II leaked at the same area with stock headers. it started leaking just as it reached 600 miles, so off to the dealer for warranty work it went. Not a well executed assembly of a not terribly good design.

Back