• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II ENGINE FAILURES & CLUTCH ADJUST NOTICE!

I'm taking delivery of a v7ii (stone) tomorrow morning, and despite riding for five years, am unclear as to exactly what I should be looking for when checking the lever and rear/gear box adjustments. I haven't had to futz around with these adjustments on previous bikes. Does anyone have images of proper/improper adjustment at both ends (or either) for reference? Many thanks!

Well this is not good news at all... I am sitting on ZGULWUB03GM200242

Bought almost a year ago to the day and have ~4400 miles on the bike without issues thus far save a headlight bolt working free. While I plan to at least double those miles this summer, I am still concerned that even if failure does not happen in that timespan, a failure could happen further out into the bike's lifespan potentially after the warranty period is over.

Does anyone know at this point of any official admission of fault on Guzzi's part and expressed willingness to continue to ameliorate the issue after the warranty period?

Also does anyone know how one might go about finding what the factory spec for endplay in the crankshaft is, The attached pdf says .45mm max play - but what should the play be.

Also what exactly is the mechanism by which the clutch cable being out of adjustment can accelerate a failure due to the missing thrust bearing?

Bought almost a year ago to the day and have ~4400 miles on the bike without issues thus far save a headlight bolt working free. While I plan to at least double those miles this summer, I am still concerned that even if failure does not happen in that timespan, a failure could happen further out into the bike's lifespan potentially after the warranty period is over.

Does anyone know at this point of any official admission of fault on Guzzi's part and expressed willingness to continue to ameliorate the issue after the warranty period?

Also does anyone know how one might go about finding what the factory spec for endplay in the crankshaft is, The attached pdf says .45mm max play - but what should the play be.

Also what exactly is the mechanism by which the clutch cable being out of adjustment can accelerate a failure due to the missing thrust bearing?

My only contribution on this matter will be a picture of mounting of thrust half rings and some dimensions.
Axial play of crankshaft should be 0.35-0,4 mm 0,0157-0,0157"

Mounting of thrust halves rings.
Insert the timing system side and flywheel side half-bearings with their
thrust washers into the seats in the upper crankcase

Dimensions:

Thickness of thrust half ring on flywheel side main bearing 2.310 - 2.360 mm (0.0909 - 0.0929 in)

Side thrust clearance of crankshaft in crankcase 0.35 - 0.40 mm (0.0138 - 0.0157 in)

If axial bearing is missing, axial play will be 2,7 mm

No need to worry, from everything I've read about the problem, if it hasn't failed in ~4400 mi, it won't fail from this cause.

Thanks @asaleo it's good to know their max play is only about 0.05mm from the normal range.

@sib Another member earlier on this thread @emab said he had zero issues until 4600 miles when a clutch pull started stalling the bike - and he was diagnosed as having the issue and had new engine installed. I am concerned because in neutral at idle, if I pull the clutch in I definitely get more vibration and more of what sounds like additional bearing noise. I have also experienced periodic instances of gear popping into false neutrals - although unsure if this could be related.

I could definitely be psyching myself out but 0242 is close enough to @emab at 0257 that I am definitely going bring my bike in to have the dealer conduct the flywheel test.

Thanks for answering cadyfatcat. I have gone through your anxiety myself fore some days. I hope tor a good result for you at the dealer then. I guess we all do on this site.

I talked with the dealer. Turns out he has already replaced an engine due to this issue so he is aware of the issue. Hopefully I will get in there in the next few weeks and have the flywheel test done. Will update when I do.

Does anyone know of a V7ii Special or Racer that has had this failure? My dealer seems to believe that the issue is limited to Stones. Just wondering, but I wouldn't understand why this would be the case...

Does anyone know of a V7ii Special or Racer that has had this failure?
All that I am aware of have been Stones. Just coincidental of course that the run of bikes on the line at the time. Seems the Stones are the first based on delivery times to the dealer. I just got my new Stone III, and the rest of the line will be 4 weeks behind.

Thought I'd add my experience so far looking into this issue:

I bought a 2016 V7 II Stone in Seattle at the very end of May '17. Of course, after joining here, the first thread that I opened and read was this one. Eeek!

I wrote my dealership, that happens to be the #1 selling Guzzi dealership in the USA (their claim), and asked them if they were aware of the issue. The owner wrote back first thing the next morning. He told me that they were aware of the issue, and the tests for it, but not one V7 had been into his shop with any of the symptoms, and absolutely zero sign of the actual problem from all the V7's they've sold (remember, they're the #1 selling US dealer).
The dealer's reputation in this neck of the woods is pretty solid, and I have no reason to believe he was being anything but 100% honest with me.

Thought this info may help better define the scope of this issue.

Anyway, that's my 2c. Looking forward to more input in this thread. Much thanks to all the contributors so far.

Oh, and FWIW, my VIN is XXX200575 on a 2016 Gray V7 II Stone.

Last edited:
I spoke to a guzzi mechanic some time back about this and he said if your going to have any problems it will show up in
The first 200 to 300 ks and you would be constantly adjusting your clutch.
I've got 15 v7II stone 8000ks only one clutch adjustment since new and that was in the first 1000ks,so I'm good.

So how do you tell if you have a 2015 or 2016 V7II?...and what if any are the differences?

Updating my status from a few weeks ago when I last posted. My buddy Mark and I purchased our V7II Stones at the same dealership here in Las Vegas about a week or two apart. His story is documented in this thread which included an engine replacement. Here's my experience so far.

I had my clutch cable adjusted at the dealership (because I had issues getting my bike into Neutral when coming to a stop light) and the oil was also replaced, a few weeks after its 600 mile service, as part of another issue where oil was leaking pretty bad, at one point, from the breather cap (after a day of some "spirited" riding). They did some inspection but found nothing and replaced the oil while paying closer attention not to overfill - everything done at no charge, as covered by warranty.

I have put on another 2K miles since then and even rode from Vegas to Phoenix and back (did some hard riding with some sportbike-riding friends of mine while there too) just a couple weeks ago. *I have had no issues so far* and my odometer is now 5400+ (s)miles. Coming up on its 6K service already. Its 600 mile service was just done back on February 1st. :D

Here is my VIN for reference for Todd and everyone else to keep track of . . . ZGULWUB07GM200535

So far, so good. I will be posting a motovlog here in the next week on my 6 month review on the bike. :)

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't realise there was a 5 and 6 speed version of the V7ii.

AFAIK, no, the 15 bikes (at least in the US) are all V7 mkI, meaning 5-spd, but wet alternator.

The V7II were 16 models and all 6-spds.

Back