• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II front brake conversion

mwrenn

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
When I got my V7II I was pretty much underwhelmed with the front brake performance. It seemed like I was always on the front brake as hard as I could squeeze it. I don't ride very aggressively really, it's just that the stock front brake sucks.
Anyway, Todd has made available a matched set of front brake components that really improve the braking on the front wheel. When compared to the stock setup, it is unbelievable how good it is now. Just a night and day difference. Basically riding in town, I keep one finger on the front brake lever. That's all that is needed! Another cool thing about the system, is that you can dial in just how much braking action you need. The master cylinder adjusts the amount of fluid displaced by the piston, so you can go from a weak factory stock feel, to a two finger squeeze that will actuate the antilock immediately. I have mine set right in the middle.
I figured I would post some pictures of the completed installation.

Brembo 15RCS. Had to add the external reservoir. Had to cut the ends off of the stock brake lines and thread new ends on. Also had to bleed the brakes, a messy job, but not too bad.

Here are a couple of the new rotor and caliper. The rotor is almost twice as thick as the stock one. And the caliper is quite a bit bigger too. You can see where I had to peel back the rubber lining from the brake line to screw the new end on.

Last edited:
Looks very good but my V711 front brake feels good for a single disc setup although it does pulse at low speed as though I'm pulling the lever on and off slightly. Steve.

I find that the thing with brakes is two-fold; Ignorance is bliss and not everyone likes the same feel.
But I have a similar master cylinder on my Daytona from Todd and it made for an amazing front brake set up.
As to the pulsing, that could be a few things. Is it still under warranty?

I find that the thing with brakes is two-fold; Ignorance is bliss and not everyone likes the same feel.
But I have a similar master cylinder on my Daytona from Todd and it made for an amazing front brake set up.
As to the pulsing, that could be a few things. Is it still under warranty?
Yes still under warranty and soon due for service, the mounting bobbins are free and I can't see any variation in thickness with a micrometre, I have scrubbed it with a scouring pad and brake cleaner and used it hard to " bed it in" but still the same. Steve.

There was a problem with pulsing front brakes a few years back on the Norge - mine had it - and the only solution was new discs.
AndyB

Strange to read this, Myself I've never like powerful front brakes. I've got one now on a CB500 that'll get you into trouble in a New York second. Hate that.

I like powerful front brakes but not grabby. My 2007 Norge and now the 2012 Norge both initially bit very hard then became progressive afterwards. The 2012 also sounds like an old school bus when stopping and I can feel the chatter in the handlebars. Not a pulse but a vibration and the worst sound I have ever heard from motorcycle brakes. I changed the 2007 to EBC and I considered it an improvement. I decided to try Vesrah this time and am installing them and new tires at the same time. I have had good luck with Ferodo in every application I have tried them on except one. That one makes me shy away so I am trying others.
Just try some different pads for different feel. If you want a nice smooth transition I would say try Ferodo or EBC first. Everybody loves EBC but I wonder how many of those have tried Ferodo. I'll have to report on the Vesrah.

I don't love EBC. I don't hate them and have used them in some cases with great results, but mostly I am not a big fan of EBC. That is just personal taste.
I do like Ferodo and SBS and have had great results with them.
I do agree that different pads will deliver a different feel.
A proper brake set up will deliver lots of power with control. Upgrading brakes can improve both power AND control.
Better brakes are a good thing.

Strange to read this, Myself I've never like powerful front brakes. I've got one now on a CB500 that'll get you into trouble in a New York second. Hate that.

That sounds very strange to me. The more stopping power the better in my eyes. I love GP spec Brembo monoblocks. They grip so well with very minimal force on the lever. You not liking powerful front brakes makes me wonder about your riding style.

One thing I like about the later model V7 is the anti lock braking. It really does help me control the bike and be aggressive with the front brake. In fact, on the dirt road I live on, when I come up to my driveway to turn in, I just grab the front brake until the antilock pulses. It slows me down in a hurry! And the tire doesn't skid at all. I have tried the same thing on my 2010 V7 Classic, my distance to brake for the turn is double what it is with the 2016 bike. Just no way to control the front wheel, it tries to slide out from under me when it skids.

22% increase in piston area is a big number for a calliper swap with the same piston count, and I must be missing something?

If I understand correctly, an 08 V7, uses a Brembo axial P4 calliper with 30/34mm pistons.
Total area of one calliper half = 16.149 sq cm

The other common "non racing" Brembo axial P4 calliper uses 34mm pistons
Total piston area of one half = 18.16 sq cm

The larger 34mm piston P4 therefore is 12.45% greater clamping force than the stock calliper
I would love a 22% increase in clamping force, but I would like to understand how?

I would love a 22% increase in clamping force, but I would like to understand how?
The numbers I use were from Brembo. Put a 4-pad next to the stock 5165 and you'll begin to clue in on the differences. It's size and the 4-pad leading edges that do the work. They're quite amazing.

I understand 2 VS 4 pad advantage, and how combined with the other bits in your kit, results in significant braking improvement.
I still do not understand the 22% gain in piston area

According to the Oppo Racing Brembo fitment chart, the 2008 V7 uses a P4 calliper # 20.9230.50 with 30 + 34 pistons
16.149 sq cm piston area for one half the calliper
oppracing.com/images/cmsuploads/Brembo/OEM_Schematics/oppracing 20-9230-50_60 brembo.pdf

The P4.34A with 34/34 piston x 4 pad # 20.7850.11 has a piston area of 18.16 sq cm
12.45% greater piston area
oppracing.com/images/cmsuploads/Brembo/OEM_Schematics/oppracing 20-7850-11_21 brembo.pdf

Am I comparing the wrong callipers, and is there a larger piston P4?

Back