Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 II front brake conversion

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by mwrenn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

When I got my V7II I was pretty much underwhelmed with the front brake performance. It seemed like I was always on the front brake as hard as I could squeeze it. I don't ride very aggressively really, it's just that the stock front brake sucks.
    Anyway, Todd has made available a matched set of front brake components that really improve the braking on the front wheel. When compared to the stock setup, it is unbelievable how good it is now. Just a night and day difference. Basically riding in town, I keep one finger on the front brake lever. That's all that is needed! Another cool thing about the system, is that you can dial in just how much braking action you need. The master cylinder adjusts the amount of fluid displaced by the piston, so you can go from a weak factory stock feel, to a two finger squeeze that will actuate the antilock immediately. I have mine set right in the middle.
    I figured I would post some pictures of the completed installation.

Brembo 15RCS. Had to add the external reservoir. Had to cut the ends off of the stock brake lines and thread new ends on. Also had to bleed the brakes, a messy job, but not too bad.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. mwrenn

Here are a couple of the new rotor and caliper. The rotor is almost twice as thick as the stock one. And the caliper is quite a bit bigger too. You can see where I had to peel back the rubber lining from the brake line to screw the new end on.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    BenRCMC likes this.
  3. oldlegs

oldlegs Tuned and Synch'ed

Looks very good but my V711 front brake feels good for a single disc setup although it does pulse at low speed as though I'm pulling the lever on and off slightly. Steve.

4. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I find that the thing with brakes is two-fold; Ignorance is bliss and not everyone likes the same feel.
    But I have a similar master cylinder on my Daytona from Todd and it made for an amazing front brake set up.
    As to the pulsing, that could be a few things. Is it still under warranty?

5. oldlegs

oldlegs Tuned and Synch'ed

Yes still under warranty and soon due for service, the mounting bobbins are free and I can't see any variation in thickness with a micrometre, I have scrubbed it with a scouring pad and brake cleaner and used it hard to " bed it in" but still the same. Steve.

6. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

There was a problem with pulsing front brakes a few years back on the Norge - mine had it - and the only solution was new discs.
    AndyB

oldlegs likes this.
  7. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Strange to read this, Myself I've never like powerful front brakes. I've got one now on a CB500 that'll get you into trouble in a New York second. Hate that.

8. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

I like powerful front brakes but not grabby. My 2007 Norge and now the 2012 Norge both initially bit very hard then became progressive afterwards. The 2012 also sounds like an old school bus when stopping and I can feel the chatter in the handlebars. Not a pulse but a vibration and the worst sound I have ever heard from motorcycle brakes. I changed the 2007 to EBC and I considered it an improvement. I decided to try Vesrah this time and am installing them and new tires at the same time. I have had good luck with Ferodo in every application I have tried them on except one. That one makes me shy away so I am trying others.
    Just try some different pads for different feel. If you want a nice smooth transition I would say try Ferodo or EBC first. Everybody loves EBC but I wonder how many of those have tried Ferodo. I'll have to report on the Vesrah.

9. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I don't love EBC. I don't hate them and have used them in some cases with great results, but mostly I am not a big fan of EBC. That is just personal taste.
    I do like Ferodo and SBS and have had great results with them.
    I do agree that different pads will deliver a different feel.
    A proper brake set up will deliver lots of power with control. Upgrading brakes can improve both power AND control.
    Better brakes are a good thing.

10. Moto_Max

Moto_Max Cruisin' Guzzisti

That sounds very strange to me. The more stopping power the better in my eyes. I love GP spec Brembo monoblocks. They grip so well with very minimal force on the lever. You not liking powerful front brakes makes me wonder about your riding style.

11. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

I'm still learning to use the brakes.

12. mwrenn

One thing I like about the later model V7 is the anti lock braking. It really does help me control the bike and be aggressive with the front brake. In fact, on the dirt road I live on, when I come up to my driveway to turn in, I just grab the front brake until the antilock pulses. It slows me down in a hurry! And the tire doesn't skid at all. I have tried the same thing on my 2010 V7 Classic, my distance to brake for the turn is double what it is with the 2016 bike. Just no way to control the front wheel, it tries to slide out from under me when it skids.