Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 II Fuel/Idle Issue

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Kacey3, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kacey3

Kacey3 Tuned and Synch'ed

I bought my 2016 V7 II used with only 2500 miles on it, but it has this persistent sputter for the first few minutes, and continues to exhibit inconsistent power at low revs at throughout my rides. Any ideas what could be causing it? Is it something I can take care of myself or should I be scheduling a trip to a service tech?

I have run some Lucas top end cleaner through two full tanks of 93 octane gas and the condition has not improved.

2. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I had a similar issue with mine. I believe it was due to faulty lambda sensors.

BryanT likes this.
  3. Kacey3

Is that the basic O2 sensor? Did you have it repaired or did you replace the sensor yourself? Mine is not under warranty since it's used, so I am going o to have to pay for it either way.

4. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I'm probably the worst person to ask that question, but I THINK it is the same as the O2 sensor. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

My bike was under warranty as well so the shop replaced the part. They then checked to see if the engine was firing properly which again would cause a weird idle and some other things as well.

Check out my thread...may be of some help.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/throttle-lag.15439/page-3

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  5. Kacey3

Hahah. I hear ya. I'm only 4 years into motorcycling, and one month into the Guzzi, so it's all pretty new to me.

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes it sure is. Lambda = 02-sensor. Should be warranty fix at no charge to you.

7. Kacey3

My understanding is that the warranty does not carry over to the second owner.

8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Then see if you can find someone to swap sensors with as a "see if it fixes it" before you buy a new one. I likely have some used in near new condition.

9. CarstenH

CarstenH Just got it firing!

Shouldn't a broken O2 sensor be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty...? Afaik that does carry over to new owner. Worth checking.

10. Kacey3

If I'm reading the EPA guidelines correctly, it has to fail an emissions test before I can try to claim it... which Texas does not do emissions tests. Yay Texas.

11. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

it has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. absolutely no reason it doesn't carry over to you.

12. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

Unplug the O2 sensors at the connectors under the side panels and try runing like that. If the problem goes it is definately the O2 sensors, options then are new sensors....or just leaving them unplugged
    AndyB

13. oldlegs

oldlegs Tuned and Synch'ed

I unplugged mine after similar problems about 1000 miles ago and it's run well ever since, touch wood. Steve.

14. Kacey3

As a test this weekend, I unplugged the O2 sensors and I didn't notice any improvement. At least I'm fairy certain that's what I unplugged.

[​IMG]

15. Kacey3

That's good to hear. I'll check with my local Guzzi dealer and see if they corroborate.

16. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

Did you unplug the one on the other side of the bike as well?
    There are two, one from each exhaust
    AndyB

17. Kacey3

Yes, I only photographed one to confirm, but I did unplug both.

18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

A couple of more things to check:
    Do you have the latest fuel map; I believe it is 4533V796. I know my dealer up graded mine from the original. You can check the number with GuzziDiag, or ask your dealer.
    Are your plug caps making good connection to the plugs? Are the caps shorting to the head? This is a known problem. Besides poor running, another symptom is color (brown, or blue if it's real bad) on the mufflers - fuel that did not burn in the cylinder is burning in the catalytic converter. One of my mufflers was turning brown. I checked the plug connector by first pushing it on further. The one with the brown pushed on further - felt like it moved an eight inch or more. The engine runs better now.
    Dan

19. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

they screw on. not push.

20. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

The caps screw into the HT wires but push onto the sparkplug tops.....and the problem is how they fit onto the plugs.
    AndyB

RedHawk47 likes this.