RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny handmade business. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

V7 II Racer or Griso?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AbnMike, Dec 26, 2018.

1. AbnMike

AbnMike Just got it firing!

My 2017 V7III Classic is going to be replaced by Piaggio due to a repeated check engine light. There's a thread in the V7 forum on it - needless to say, Piaggo/MG and the dealer are stumped. No matter what they do to it (New exhaust, new ECU, repeated lambda sensors, remapping, un remapping, trying Euro Maps, re checking valves, new plugs, new throttle bodies, etc) the check engine comes on and the sensor fails within 100 or so miles of riding. So Piaggo is taking it back.

I don't know the details of what Piaggio will offer until next week or the week after so right now I'm just making a couple of guesses. I imagine they will offer me an exact replacement (2017 V7III Classic).

I'm not convinced I want an exact replacement.

My local dealer has the following two bikes:

2016 Griso 8V SE (new, 0 miles, unsold model)

2016 V7 II (not III) Racer w/ABS (0 miles, unsold model).

So if you had a choice between these two bikes (not saying I will but I like the idea), which would you choose and why?

For background I'm 6'2" 200lbs. Mostly a dirt bike rider (I have a slew of them). I've had Ducatis and Yamaha RDs in the past for street bikes.

Location will be the Western Slope of Colorado....one of my concerns is that the V7 may not do well at altitude and over 10' mountain passes, but I don't know...just judging by my current riding in the hills of WV on my V7,

2. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Time to graduate to a Big Block, you'll be glad you did. Get the Griso!!

3. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I would pick the Griso. I doubt they will give you that choice, but even if I had to chip in more money I would pick the Griso. But for me and how I ride the V7 is not enough motor. Yeah, I know it is enough motor to get me from point A to point B, but that is not why I ride. I ride for fun. And while a well handling motorcycle can be fun even without a lot of power, a well handling motorcycle with more power is typically more fun (to me). As a second or third motorcycle a V7 would be fun, but the wife and I already have a V65 Lario (in addition to a Griso 1100, a Daytona, and a V11sport). I would not want a small block as my only motorcycle. I really like motorcycles that handle well, but all things being equal I would rather have more power to go with that well handling chassis.
    I used to own a Buell Blast. Every time I rode it I enjoyed it. But I did not ride it often because it was so out gunned in the motor dept. It was a lot of fun to ride in certain situations, but it was rarely the bike that grabbed my attention and begged me to ride it. Eventually I sold it to someone who might enjoy it more.
    But there are plenty of V7 fans on here, and I am sure many of them would say they would take the V7. But I would take the Griso in a heartbeat.
    Good luck with all this.

P.S., Cool place to move to. We take our Jeep out that way once a year.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  4. AbnMike

Good points. For where I am now the V7 is great because it's mostly small back roads and it's a great flickable commuter. I've definitely felt like needing more power when on the Interstate. What I wanted was a decent sized bike I could ride 2 up around back roads in WV and for that it was perfect.

Moving to CO I'll probably do much more riding (since it won't rain every 4 hours) on much bigger roads which is why I was eying the Griso.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  5. GuzziMoto

To me, my Griso is a couch. A really well handling couch. I can ride it for a long time without issues. The only thing I did to adjust it was better handle bars. But from what I hear the new ones come with better handle bars. The stock suspension isn't all that great, but you already saw that with the V7. It can be made much better, but even stock I find it handles really well for a 500 lb motorcycle. Perhaps the only problem with my Griso is that I have three other cool Guzzi's. If it wasn't for the other Guzzi's my Griso would be my favorite motorcycle.
    What part of Western Colorado? The Jeep is why we go, but there are times I really wish we were on motorcycles.

Poppe likes this.
  6. AbnMike

Grand Junction area. Haven't decided on where yet, anywhere from the Mesa out to Loma. Work is relocating me as soon as my house here sells. If I end up in Glade Park for a house then my ride to work would be through the Colorado National Monument every day.

7. GuzziMoto

Cool. South of there is a small town called Gateway, Co. The road in and out of that town (141) is an awesome road, especially south of town. To the west the Book Cliffs out there are really cool. And from there it is a short distance to Moab, UT. Rt 128 south from I 70 into Moab is amazing. It follows the Colorado river along some spectacular cliffs.
    South of Grand Junction, Montrose is a great place. In Montrose there is Ted Nelson's Steakhouse. One of my favorite steakhouses anywhere. And south of there Ouray is a really cool town.
    I really like that part of the country.
    Congrats to you.

8. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Griso is a totally different Guzzi! Ride it 20+ miles. It's usually a love or hate deal.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I vote Griso. I'm the same size and weight as you and to me the V7 is not enough bike for the mountains.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  10. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Lordy.

What a choice ... assuming Piaggio gives you such a choice. They or dealer may be amenable to some sort of workable deal.

I, too, vote Griso, for all sorts of reasons mentioned and unmentioned above. But, always a bit Charlie Brown, it would hardly cause me to grieve if "forced" to task another V7. My Stornello makes me grin just thinking about it.

Still, topography and distance are so different out there compared to the tightly compartmented roads where you are now.

Best wishes; keep us posted.

Bill

AbnMike likes this.
  11. AbnMike

Yeah I have no idea what they'll offer, I know I'm not taking the bike back. It's already far past being a "lemon"

I was just thinking I bet the dealer would love to get old stock off the floor and make room for new and it would be a wash for Piaggio since they need to replace mine, but I'm creative like that. They may say "take this 2017 same model or nothing" at which point I would assume lawyers would need to be involved and I'd want all my money back as well as compensation for time and all the other stuff allowed under the lemon law.

Hoping we can avoid that so was just wondering aloud. I like both bikes. Definitely like the idea of more power on the Griso and I would never be able to afford one brand new except for it being a 2016 unsold model....but I do so like the look of the Racer, and as I understand it the V7II didn't have any sensor problems like the V7III exhibits.

Thanks for all the responses, we shall see what happens!

12. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Late to the party but go Griso!!!!!

13. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

It will be interesting to hear what happens. In CA, for non Moto Guzzi bikes, I know of cases where they got the exact same bike (and they wanted that) and cases where they got all their money back (and that's the option they wanted).

Not sure if you are happy happy with your dealer, but that dealership in Accident, Maryland has some crazy low prices on MG bikes ... might work out best financially to get all your money back and then go to that MD dealer for a new bike.

14. Zebraranger

Zebraranger Tuned and Synch'ed

All I can add to this conversation is that at two years old and two years later this hooligan bikes fun factor is still a perfect 10.
    15.Enh.2048p.jpg

Poppe likes this.
  15. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Tuned and Synch'ed

A Griso, and that location. Forget about it... What a dream ride covered in powdered red. And grab a buffalo blu burger and a cold brew in Fruita for me please.......

16. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

fill the gas tank up before you head south or north.