• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Be sure to see our STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commerically supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2022.

V7 II Racer - pissing oil

JCole

Just got it firing!
Bought a 2016 this past summer with very few miles on it - just past the break-in point. I have put about 1K miles on it since I got it and haven't had any issues. But last week when I pulled into the garage the bike was pissing oil. Not dripping...pissing oil on the garage floor. Where the bell housing meets the block I found signs of oil seeping out but not streaming - top to bottom, left and right side. But the stream of oil was coming from a line leading into the the bottom of the sump from the rear (has a braided cover on the line). I don't think it was coming out of the line, but possibly running down the line.

I found oil in the air box, but only a few tablespoons. When I removed the starter I found a small puddle of oil just on the inside edge. I thought the PO might have over-filled the gear box (not the final drive). He said he changed the engine, gear, and final drive oils himself.

I drained it, and the oil was a little milky. I filled it back up (just shy of 500 ml) and rode it around the block. Came back and it was pissing oil again. It wasn't from the gear box because the oil was very dark. When I checked the engine oil it was at the very bottom of the dip stick.

With the PO not riding it much, and the bike living up in Connecticut, could some of the internal seals dried out over the past five years? Or do I need to prepare myself for something much worse...I am terrified that the bike may be one of those that came without a thrust washer/bearing.

I do have some mechanical experience. I rebuilt a 1974 CB360 over the past couple of years (taking every last bolt and screw apart and repairing/replacing just about everything on the bike). So I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.

You help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6335.jpg
    IMG_6335.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6336.jpg
    IMG_6336.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6337.jpg
    IMG_6337.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6341.jpg
    IMG_6341.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6342.jpg
    IMG_6342.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 33

john zibell

Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Since it came from Connecticut, take it to a good dealer in that state. Look up Hamlin Cycles. He has probably seen this before.

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT Famiglia
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
Bought a 2016 this past summer with very few miles on it - just past the break-in point. I have put about 1K miles on it since I got it and haven't had any issues. But last week when I pulled into the garage the bike was pissing oil. Not dripping...pissing oil on the garage floor. Where the bell housing meets the block I found signs of oil seeping out but not streaming - top to bottom, left and right side. But the stream of oil was coming from a line leading into the the bottom of the sump from the rear (has a braided cover on the line). I don't think it was coming out of the line, but possibly running down the line.

I found oil in the air box, but only a few tablespoons. When I removed the starter I found a small puddle of oil just on the inside edge. I thought the PO might have over-filled the gear box (not the final drive). He said he changed the engine, gear, and final drive oils himself.

I drained it, and the oil was a little milky. I filled it back up (just shy of 500 ml) and rode it around the block. Came back and it was pissing oil again. It wasn't from the gear box because the oil was very dark. When I checked the engine oil it was at the very bottom of the dip stick.

With the PO not riding it much, and the bike living up in Connecticut, could some of the internal seals dried out over the past five years? Or do I need to prepare myself for something much worse...I am terrified that the bike may be one of those that came without a thrust washer/bearing.

I do have some mechanical experience. I rebuilt a 1974 CB360 over the past couple of years (taking every last bolt and screw apart and repairing/replacing just about everything on the bike). So I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.

You help is much appreciated.

Since it came from Connecticut, take it to a good dealer in that state. Look up Hamlin Cycles. He has probably seen this before.

Yes to that, John.

Sounds as if the OP has more than enough wrenching credentials, but if he's in range of Bethel, sure recommend taking to Jim Hamlin, as he's a class act.

Would be a real shame if this were April, but The.Long.Cold.Dark. is a good time to have a motorcycle hors de combat, especially if Jim's queue is long.

Bill

JCole

Just got it firing!
Sorry - I should have said that I am down in Mississippi. The closest dealer is about 4 hours away - down in Mobile, AL. The next closest would be over in Atlanta.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the bike in regard to a lack of local dealerships...but I just couldn't help buying such a beautiful bike.

john zibell

Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Sorry - I should have said that I am down in Mississippi. The closest dealer is about 4 hours away - down in Mobile, AL. The next closest would be over in Atlanta.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the bike in regard to a lack of local dealerships...but I just couldn't help buying such a beautiful bike.

That does change things a bit. Where in Mississippi? For reference if you upgrade your account you will have access to parts and maintenance manuals in the downloads section. You seem to have oil escaping from several places so the repair may be a bit involved. Account upgrade information is here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-account-upgrade-donations.14025/

scottmastrocinque

Scott Mastrocinque
GT di Razza Pura
Of all the things that is almost impossible to diagnose over the internet, strange running sounds and oil leaks are both it.

I couldn’t even begin to guess where you have oil leaking from there.

In truth, I would be removing the tank and all obstructions to my view first and looking very carefully as I worked in deeper from the top.

vagrant

GT Reference
I've never had to look for the crankcase vent-valve but it or the hose could be dirt dobber plugged, cracked or just failed. Oil in the air box means too much was put in the CC at one time. Trans fluid from the six speed smells and looks different from engine oil. Which is it.

sib

Cruisin' Guzzisti
That happened to my V7II. It's a simple fix. The hose drains accumulated oil from the air box back to the crankcase. The fitting on the crankcase end can loosen up. There is supposed to be a thin (paper?) gasket where the fitting meets the threads. Screw the fitting in tightly but CAREFULLY. I think it's 10mm thread and it's screwing into a soft aluminum crankcase, so don't overdo it. After I re-tightened mine it never loosened again, but I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to use Loctite on the threads. Good luck.

JCole

Just got it firing!
That happened to my V7II. It's a simple fix. The hose drains accumulated oil from the air box back to the crankcase. The fitting on the crankcase end can loosen up. There is supposed to be a thin (paper?) gasket where the fitting meets the threads. Screw the fitting in tightly but CAREFULLY. I think it's 10mm thread and it's screwing into a soft aluminum crankcase, so don't overdo it. After I re-tightened mine it never loosened again, but I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to use Loctite on the threads. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I will be sure and check it out as soon as we get home from traveling for Turkey day.

JCole

Just got it firing!
That does change things a bit. Where in Mississippi? For reference if you upgrade your account you will have access to parts and maintenance manuals in the downloads section. You seem to have oil escaping from several places so the repair may be a bit involved. Account upgrade information is here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-account-upgrade-donations.14025/
I am in the Jackson, MS area. There is a large dealer in the area, but they aren't a Guzzi dealer. I might check with them to see if they will work on one. If this is a worst-case scenario and the thrust washer was not included during assembly, will Moto Guzzi sell a replacement engine to a non-dealer?

JCole

Just got it firing!
I've never had to look for the crankcase vent-valve but it or the hose could be dirt dobber plugged, cracked or just failed. Oil in the air box means too much was put in the CC at one time. Trans fluid from the six speed smells and looks different from engine oil. Which is it.
I am pretty sure it is engine oil. After I changed the trans fluid and rode it around the block, the oil it was spitting was dark - not even close to the color of the new oil I put in there. I did go on a 10-minute ride prior to changing the trans fluid, and had the bike standing up level to let it drain. But if the old fluid didn't fully drain, it could have mixed in with the new fluid. But it was really dark oil coming out. So there would have had to be a good amount of trans fluid left in the case.

john zibell

Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
I am in the Jackson, MS area. There is a large dealer in the area, but they aren't a Guzzi dealer. I might check with them to see if they will work on one. If this is a worst-case scenario and the thrust washer was not included during assembly, will Moto Guzzi sell a replacement engine to a non-dealer?

Probably not. It does look like Mobile AL has the closest dealer to you. I would recommend getting the bike to them.