• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II Racer vs Triumph Thruxton 900

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Some of you know from my other post, I am about 85% certain that my next bike will be either a 2015 or 2016 Guzzi Racer. But occasionally I think maybe I ought to give one of the air-cooled Thruxton 900s (2015 or ‘16) a chance. Can anyone compare the experience of riding a V7II Racer with a Thruxton 900?

I have ridden a Triumph air-cooled T100, which seemed fine albeit a little bland, but I’ve never ridden a Thruxton. At 865cc it’s got more hp than a Racer, but is also a good bit heavier. Both look pretty cool, though of course the Guzzi is more distinctive. On the other, there is quite a vast array of aftermarket stuff to juice up the Thruxton in every possible way it would seem.

Ergonomics-wise, I have no idea how the two would compare and would be interested to hear. (There is a not very helpful video on YouTube comparing the 2013 years, but doesn’t do much for me.)

So, anyway, just if anyone has any thoughts, being fully aware of course that this is a Guzzi board!

This would be about 4 maybe 5 years ago??? I test rode a Thruxton.
Initial impression was "Hey this is fun"! It was a short ride.

I got serious about it & laid a pile of cash in front of the salesman to show I was serious but requested a longer test ride.
They gave in and set it at 100 mile max.
I returned with about 65 miles on it.

It was kinda fun but got disappointing mainly because it was so predictable.
I know to many that might seem like a plus but I think a "sport" type of bike should have a bit of challenge or maybe more feedback thru the bars & chassis???

I don't think I'm putting into words what I felt.
The Thruxton was more like riding a well behaved pony rather than a stallion with a bit of an attitude.

My experience is pretty much the same as Trout.

I described riding the Thruxton as being lifeless. Yes, it's good at everything it does. It's real smooth. But I didn't get any attitude from it. Not like the Guzzi.

I ride with a Triumph group and we blocked all lanes on Pacific Coast Hwy during the Gentleman's Charity Ride and had a drag race. I beat every Triumph in the pack except I was nippin at the heals of the only Thruxton 1200r.
The Guzzi makes up for the lack of power with the lighter chasis.

I'll spare you the long, silly story. I test rode one last Summer and the only reaction I had was, "Meh." It was the same reaction I had when I test drove a Honda or Acura sport sedan around 2003: it did everything well but didn't excite me to pull out my wallet at all.

Such it is.

Thanks for all the feedback. It accords with my experience on the T100 — no surprises, nothing wrong with it, but no real excitement. I always like to feel an engine underneath me, and the Triumph you can barely feel. I like that about Guzzis, the same way I liked it about my old Enfield, which was a low performing bike in a lot of ways, but that big single had its charms.

A friend of mine has the Thruxton, we swapped bikes. My experiences echoes the others. Very smooth and predictable but lacking character. If I were buying on pure performance I'd say the Thruxton wins but that's not how I value motorcycles.

Besides my Norge, I also own a 2013 Thruxton (Brooklands Green). Great "kick around bike". Super stable, great seating/bar position, fabulous transmission, could use another 20 horsepower, high quality stone reliable. Though the bars look low, the steering head is actually high, so the seating position is quite comfortable, even for a 200 mile day. My two sons (mid 20's) each started on the street with the Triumph after years of dirt bike riding and the MSF course. I would ride my Buell, or Norge, and they would ride the Thruxton. Great "intermediate" bike on their way to an EBR and a Buell 1125R. Boring compared to a Guzzi, but rock solid none the less, and definitely a looker.

Back