• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II runs rough when raining

hatchb4ck

Tuned and Synch'ed
Everyone,
On my way in to work this morning in the rain, my 2016 V7 II Stornello began to run very rough. This is the second time this behavior has occurred in the rain. After the first time, I searched various forums and it appeared that this was common with the stock spark plug boots/caps. So during the first service I replaced them with NGK XD05FP caps, ensuring that I used dielectric grease during assembly and when putting them onto the plugs.

With fresh caps and the use of dielectric grease I didn't expect to have this issue again. Is there another portion of the ignition system that I should review for weather proofing?

Joe

That's weird? I'm still running the stock spark plug caps V7 II and have riden in really heavy rain with no problems.
I didn't use dielectric grease on the plugs either. Myself I wouldn't use it on spark plugs but that's just me.
Maybe clean all the grease off and see what happens.

That's weird? I'm still running the stock spark plug caps V7 II and have riden in really heavy rain with no problems.
I didn't use dielectric grease on the plugs either. Myself I wouldn't use it on spark plugs but that's just me.
Maybe clean all the grease off and see what happens.

Good point, Dielectric grease is non conductive. So long as the cap seals well to the body of the plug it should be good. I don't use the stuff. I would also check where the high tension leads enters the spark cap.

Plugs are pretty well sealed upon the V7 series so I suspect you are barking up the wrong tree.
I'd look at the ignition switch, coil wire etc. Have you molested any wires under the seat? mine gets wet just during mild washing.

It is interesting the varying opinions on dielectric grease. For some, it is a great way to keep moisture out of electrical connections and spark plug boots, for others not such a good idea. I didn't use dielectric grease on the contact points of the plug or cap, just on the sealing areas.

@My name is Jeff and @john zibell
It is good to hear that you're having a good experience with your stock caps. I can certainly give cleaning off the grease a try. But, I'd think that if the grease were an issue, it would occur wet or dry.

@vagrant
I was leaning that way as well. I haven't touched any wiring on the V7II except for the spark plug caps. This behavior happened with both stock and NGK caps. So that also seems to indicate that it's probably not them.

After work yesterday, the motorcycle wouldn't idle steadily, died twice before I could get underway. I checked the spark plugs and spark plug sockets there was no moisture in those areas. Let the bike sit in the garage overnight, fires right up and idles normally. It's raining again today and within 6 blocks its back to barely idling and has significant loss in power.

I'll be honest, my 72 Honda CB350 with a known electrical issue ran better than this in the rain. If this were my 76 850T3, I'd have a bit more patience with an issue like this, but my Stornello has only 900 miles on it so....

I'll keep digging and researching. Just a bit frustrating given the other items I've been trying to work out with it.

Thanks for the replies.

Joe

At this point I'd start checking connectors. Start around the dash and ignition switch, then proceed to coils and phase sensor connection. There must be water intrusion somewhere.

The only other thing I could see getting wet apart from the plugs would be the regulator rectifier unless it's got something to do
With the 02 sensors or what John suggested.
I just had another thought and it could have something to do with the traction control sensor?
So first thing I would try is TC turned off.

Sorry for no updates, it turns out that I fractured my right shoulder during a fall on the Adventure Palooza ride at the end of September. Hopefully start PT at the end of October.

The doctor wasn't very happy that I had been riding.

Joe

I'd check the simple stuff that can cut out the ignition first.
Side stand(#1 suspect), clutch and kill switch. Then the stuff mentioned above

Hey everyone,
I know this is resurrecting an older thread for my issue, but figured it would be better to comment here rather than create an entirely new thread.

I've been doing some testing, trying to replicate the issue. A couple of weeks back, I took the time to do a spray test after washing the motorcycle. What I found is that when misting water over the left cylinder head (when seated on the motorcycle) spark plug wire I would hear a "popping" sound and could replicate it each time I tested. This leads me to believe I have a plug wire issue.

A follow up test at night, in the dark, did not reproduce the issue or reveal any sparks/arcing. It should be noted that the bike was completely dry during the night time test.

Fast forward to today, I've pulled the tank to replace the fuel filter with an all metal one and started going through the various connectors. First, I started by measuring the resistance on the spark plug wires. I did this both while holding them steady and while flexing them to check for internal breakage of the conductor. The measurements were 4.83K on the left and 4.92K on the right. No fluctuation in measurement when flexing them.

I did notice a large amount of white residue inside the boot and around the tower of the front coil (left side wire) when I disconnected it. There is no white residue on the rear coil (right side wire) tower or inside the boot. In a situation like this, if "grease" were involved, I would think the mixing of grease and water would be involved. Add this to the fact that it is the front coil and more likely to get "wet" during riding, etc. It may be plausible that it is water. Alternately, perhaps Moto Guzzi used a white dielectric grease on their coil towers and boots.

Has anyone seen white grease/residue on their coil towers/connection boots?

Thanks for reviewing this.

Back