Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7 II runs rough when raining

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by hatchb4ck, Oct 8, 2018.

1. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Just got it firing!

Everyone,
    On my way in to work this morning in the rain, my 2016 V7 II Stornello began to run very rough. This is the second time this behavior has occurred in the rain. After the first time, I searched various forums and it appeared that this was common with the stock spark plug boots/caps. So during the first service I replaced them with NGK XD05FP caps, ensuring that I used dielectric grease during assembly and when putting them onto the plugs.

With fresh caps and the use of dielectric grease I didn't expect to have this issue again. Is there another portion of the ignition system that I should review for weather proofing?

Joe

2. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

That's weird? I'm still running the stock spark plug caps V7 II and have riden in really heavy rain with no problems.
    I didn't use dielectric grease on the plugs either. Myself I wouldn't use it on spark plugs but that's just me.
    Maybe clean all the grease off and see what happens.

john zibell likes this.
  3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Good point, Dielectric grease is non conductive. So long as the cap seals well to the body of the plug it should be good. I don't use the stuff. I would also check where the high tension leads enters the spark cap.

4. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

Plugs are pretty well sealed upon the V7 series so I suspect you are barking up the wrong tree.
    I'd look at the ignition switch, coil wire etc. Have you molested any wires under the seat? mine gets wet just during mild washing.

5. hatchb4ck

It is interesting the varying opinions on dielectric grease. For some, it is a great way to keep moisture out of electrical connections and spark plug boots, for others not such a good idea. I didn't use dielectric grease on the contact points of the plug or cap, just on the sealing areas.

@My name is Jeff and @john zibell
    It is good to hear that you're having a good experience with your stock caps. I can certainly give cleaning off the grease a try. But, I'd think that if the grease were an issue, it would occur wet or dry.

@vagrant
    I was leaning that way as well. I haven't touched any wiring on the V7II except for the spark plug caps. This behavior happened with both stock and NGK caps. So that also seems to indicate that it's probably not them.

After work yesterday, the motorcycle wouldn't idle steadily, died twice before I could get underway. I checked the spark plugs and spark plug sockets there was no moisture in those areas. Let the bike sit in the garage overnight, fires right up and idles normally. It's raining again today and within 6 blocks its back to barely idling and has significant loss in power.

I'll be honest, my 72 Honda CB350 with a known electrical issue ran better than this in the rain. If this were my 76 850T3, I'd have a bit more patience with an issue like this, but my Stornello has only 900 miles on it so....

I'll keep digging and researching. Just a bit frustrating given the other items I've been trying to work out with it.

Thanks for the replies.

Joe

6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

At this point I'd start checking connectors. Start around the dash and ignition switch, then proceed to coils and phase sensor connection. There must be water intrusion somewhere.

7. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

It's still under warranty dump it at a dealers because yours is the only one we have heard of. Can you duplicate by spraying it with a hose.

8. hatchb4ck

@john zibell and @vagrant
    I plan to start on the spray bottle/hose testing this weekend. I'll follow up with what I find.

After that, it's off to the dealer with it.

9. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

The only other thing I could see getting wet apart from the plugs would be the regulator rectifier unless it's got something to do
    With the 02 sensors or what John suggested.
    I just had another thought and it could have something to do with the traction control sensor?
    So first thing I would try is TC turned off.

10. hatchb4ck

Sorry for no updates, it turns out that I fractured my right shoulder during a fall on the Adventure Palooza ride at the end of September. Hopefully start PT at the end of October.

The doctor wasn't very happy that I had been riding.

Joe

11. jr1967

jr1967 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'd check the simple stuff that can cut out the ignition first.
    Side stand(#1 suspect), clutch and kill switch. Then the stuff mentioned above

12. hatchb4ck

Hey everyone,
    I know this is resurrecting an older thread for my issue, but figured it would be better to comment here rather than create an entirely new thread.

I've been doing some testing, trying to replicate the issue. A couple of weeks back, I took the time to do a spray test after washing the motorcycle. What I found is that when misting water over the left cylinder head (when seated on the motorcycle) spark plug wire I would hear a "popping" sound and could replicate it each time I tested. This leads me to believe I have a plug wire issue.

A follow up test at night, in the dark, did not reproduce the issue or reveal any sparks/arcing. It should be noted that the bike was completely dry during the night time test.

Fast forward to today, I've pulled the tank to replace the fuel filter with an all metal one and started going through the various connectors. First, I started by measuring the resistance on the spark plug wires. I did this both while holding them steady and while flexing them to check for internal breakage of the conductor. The measurements were 4.83K on the left and 4.92K on the right. No fluctuation in measurement when flexing them.

I did notice a large amount of white residue inside the boot and around the tower of the front coil (left side wire) when I disconnected it. There is no white residue on the rear coil (right side wire) tower or inside the boot. In a situation like this, if "grease" were involved, I would think the mixing of grease and water would be involved. Add this to the fact that it is the front coil and more likely to get "wet" during riding, etc. It may be plausible that it is water. Alternately, perhaps Moto Guzzi used a white dielectric grease on their coil towers and boots.

Has anyone seen white grease/residue on their coil towers/connection boots?

Thanks for reviewing this.