• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II Special Oil Leak After First Service

nuberfin

Just got it firing!
Hello!

I just took delivery of a V7II Special a few weeks ago from a new dealer in the St Louis Area. It was a demo with around 600 miles on it, so they threw in the first service for me for free.

I took it on it's first highway ride (about 25 miles each way) last weekend noticed oil all over the right side of the engine (and pipe and tire) after my first stop. I checked the oil level and it was reading at the top level still, so I wiped it down best I could and took it straight to the dealer and dropped it off. When I got to the dealer, it was all oiled up again and the rear brakes were barely working (due to the oil in them).

At first, they thought it was a clogged vent. They test drove it after that fix and it was still bleeding oil. So they figured out finally that, during service, the lubrication specs they had indicated the wrong amount to refill it with. It indicated the 5 speed level versus the 6 speed gear box (the 6 speed takes half the amount apparently).

So, they're draining and refilling and testing that theory now. They've also replaced the rear brake pads as they were contaminated from all the oil that leaked and blew back on the rear wheel. They might have to replace them again since the test drive this morning leaked oil again, not sure if it recontaminated the new pads they had already put on.

Very frustrating experience...but I know mistakes can be made...so I'm being patient with the dealership and hoping they sort everything out.

I am wondering though if there are any concerns I should have with this type of an "over fill" event. Like any other permanent damage or any other things I should make sure the dealer checks out due to driving about 50 miles with double the amount of oil it was supposed to have in it?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Yes, 6-spd is 500ml, 5-spd is 1L. Short time overfull shouldn't be an issue. I would ask them to put in writing if they infact re-torqued the heads and reset the valve lash. Many don't, and a leak will arise there as well.

Yes, 6-spd is 500ml, 5-spd is 1L. Short time overfull shouldn't be an issue. I would ask them to put in writing if they infact re-torqued the heads and reset the valve lash. Many don't, and a leak will arise there as well.

Thanks Todd!

I asked them on delivery what all they did for the first service and I was told it just needed the fluids changed, no valve adjustments were required. Is there something I can point them to (like MotoGuzzi documentation) and ask them to perform those additional items per factory instructions?

I'm just a little concerned about their experience given it's a new shop and mine is obviously the first V7 they've serviced it appears. I mean, they have to start somewhere, but as the pilot service, I feel like I should ensure they've done everything "by the book".

Ask them if they took the Moto Guzzi training course and are certified to work on them. My local Guzzi dealer completed the course this past winter.

"Run Forest run"!
these guys are green as they come and need to be trained. these are not Japanese bikes. especially the V7.
heads have to be torqued first at 600 miles. search it here for procedure. then the valves set. simple to do for anybody with the slightest knowledge. all fluids and filter changed and the exact right amount installed. the header studs needed tightening about 3 times by now. don't get carried away. every nut, screw etc on the bike needs to be checked. or things will fall off. repeat at 4000 miles and your good for 6000 thereafter. MY OPPINION! and by the way make sure they put in the proper 10/60 engine oil and proper / different gear box and transmission lubes. I bet they used "O it will work good enough" oils.

Stories like this one are the reason why I do all my own servicing. I really can't expect the techs at my dealer, who work on many different brands and models of motorcycles, to keep up on all the different the service specs. I'm sure they're very good with a wrench, but I know much more about my particular bike than they do.

Thank you all! I have the bike back, we'll see how it goes. They claim they did everything on the checklist, including the re-torque-ing and valve lash reset. I'm getting it in writing too.

Thanks for your help!!!

Back