Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Amidst the global dilemma, we’re offering free shipping in the U.S. now EXTENDED through Monday (4/6). Use COVID-19-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone, stay healthy, and please be helpful to those who aren’t.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum, by FACT NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - it should be common sense, but sadly needs to be stated; BE COURTEOUS! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7 III Drop Speedo/Tacho Bracket

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Dec 7, 2017.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

2. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I'd have to see what it looked like, but I'd be interested in one for the dual gauges on the V7III Racer. I find that the stock configuration reflects sunlight into my eyes a bit much occasionally; a lower, flatter angle would reduce that, I think.

3. GT-Rx®

4. GT-Rx®

Dual gauges drop bracket below (prototype only). It is shown with an aftermarket headlight and brackets (@Godfrey - JWS adaptive version), but this will of course work with the factory headlight/turns. Any interest here?

B3CD9AF0-C093-465E-ACF4-609D136739E8.jpeg
    6E920C50-1773-4B62-AADD-70E17E0C9DA9.jpeg

Godfrey and Poppe like this.
  5. Godfrey

That'll look good once it's finished and painted, Todd!

It remains a thought, but for the moment I'm satisfied with the way the instruments, the Dart Piranha, the turn signals, etc, are all fitting, working, and looking. So I'm not inclined to go in and change things there for the moment.

I remain interested in the JWS Adaptive LED headlight .. but I'd really rather not go the route of changing the stock bracketry and turn signals. The stock headlamp, even with an uprated bulb, doesn't have a very good pattern on high beam ... it's only adequate on low beam. I'd prefer to solve that problem without modifying too much of everything else. If I go for one of the JWS units, I want it to fit inside a stock or modified-stock headlamp bucket housing. :D

6. GT-Rx®

Thanks and understood. My next step is to see how it fits with the Dart and stock headlight/brackets.
    I hear you on the retro-fit. I’m sure it can be done. The owner of the bike above did it direct with MD.

7. Godfrey

I thought I recognized the MD bracketry in your photos. :)

8. Chokoloso

Chokoloso Tuned and Synch'ed

Todd, sorry to ask in this thread, but was there ever a drop kit developed for the V7II?

9. GT-Rx®

Chokoloso likes this.
  10. Oadslug

Oadslug Tuned and Synch'ed

Looks great. Have you considered trying to add gauge cups to clean up the exposed inner housing? Something like this might work out of the box, depending on the width/depth: mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=276&products_id=4431

Something else that crossed my mind. Assuming there was some magical way to attach the gauge cup bottom plate securely to the gauge itself, it might also allow you to run the console plate to the top of the gauge(s) instead of the bottom, if desired — by sandwiching everything together (which I believe is how the gauge cup was designed to work?). E.g. Some variation on this for example: mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=276&products_id=4432 Honestly, I don’t know which I would prefer aesthetically.

Regardless, adding gauge cups might really clean things up.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  11. GT-Rx®

I personally don’t mind the exposed gauge body. The cup idea might work (and of course adds to cost), but the bottom certainly will not.
    You do NOT need to lower the headlight on any of my designs. The whole concept is to put the gauges close to what the old style on the second link you posted, however with the newer gauge design, my solution is the only thing that will easily achieve this.

12. Oadslug

I agree... not having to move the headlamp is critical — which is why your solution works so well. But I do think that issue could be solved by angling the console plate slightly up instead of down, (and/or adding spacers underneath the two fork plate connection points so the console plate started out level with the top of the fork top plate) — the gauges could stay in the exact same place. Don’t get me wrong, I love your design as is ... was just brainstorming the options that adding a gauge cup might open to you. My mind wanders like that :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  13. GT-Rx®

Thanks, I always appreciate input... it helps the design evolve. The flat angle I have works really well (tested).
    More parts = more cost. I considered the gauge cup idea, but didn't know where to find one, thanks for the link. I'll put a caliper on the stock gauges today.

Do you own a V7III?

14. Oadslug

I currently own a 2001 V11 Sport. But am in the process of upgrading (downgrading?)— waiting for the v7 Milano to arrive. Just getting excited and reading up/mapping out my wish list. Thanks for the forum... learning lots thanks to you and the great community.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  15. Moto_Max

Moto_Max Cruisin' Guzzisti

Did you ever make one for the v7II?

16. GT-Rx®

Did not, but we can mod the one I sell for the older bikes for you if you want one for some extra $. It just needs some tabs to hold the cover with the ABS/TC lights, or you can relocate those as a few have done also.

17. Stephen Dickinson

Stephen Dickinson Just got it firing!

Hello there from the bottom of the world.
    Does the single bracket fit a V9.
    I agree with one of the previous posts that the off centre position of the speedo drives me crazy
    cheers
    Stephen

18. GT-Rx®

19. Stephen Dickinson

Stephen Dickinson Just got it firing!

Thanks Todd. Surprised doesn't fit but defer to your expertise on this. Yes probably the drop also.

Cheers Mate

20. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I've read this thread just out of interest. My question hasn't been covered here. Why do some want to have their instruments lying flat(ter)? The instruments on my special are at (or very near) the perfect alignment for viewing from the normal riding position.