RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7 III Fuel Filter Not Replaceable?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Mayakovski, May 13, 2019.

1. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hmmmm. I gotta question the capability of your "mechanically minded friends".

The filter on my V7 Special failed with only about 1.3K miles on the clock leaving me stranded over 800 miles from home. I suggest all owners replace the OEM filter ASAP or risk the same consequence. Even better, have the dealer replace it before taking delivery of a new bike.

Paul

2. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti

I hope you discover some trick or maneuver I could not. Thanks for sharing.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

You do have to twist it & turn it. It should do this function w/o any damage.

4. Mayakovski

Tried for over 2 hours, did not come out.

5. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

I thought it is impossible to remove at first too.
    But after I twist it about 70-80 degree CCW and pull it down and lift the upper up (from your plan view not inside, out side), use your hand to pull some wire and hose down to let it out easily, it will come out of tank.
    Sorry I can't explain clearly in English.

6. racer-7

racer-7 Just got it firing! GT Site Contributor!

Either your tanks was not made to tolerance-smaller hole—or something moved or broke in the assembly so it wont come out. You may need to cut something off to reduce the size of the assembly. May need to buy the entire assembly.

7. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

My Ducati 907IE was like that. The fuel filler unbolted from the top of the tank, the pump and filter were way down inside the tank underneath that. The problem there was getting your hands and tools in there to do any work on them ... with large hands, it proved to be a quite frustrating job when I had to replace the filter. I'm sure pulling the Guzzi tank and then removing the mounting plate has its challenges, but at least once you have it out the bits are all accessible and should be easy enough to work on. :D

Roose likes this.
  8. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

I did my Ducati 900ss that way, and the Guzzi was easier...

9. Mayakovski

Well I tried again, and again no luck. I bribed (beer is very useful) one of the local motorcycle mechanics to come and help me. We worked for an hour and ended up only with cut fingers and bad moods. I think if I was to cut the zap strap holding the filter to the pump and also cut the fuel lines, and apply a lot of pressure it might work but I am not willing to take that risk. It's so frustrating as there is plenty of room to have made the opening bigger so that this was a doable job. But as it is there is no way the pump/filter unit can be removed as a single piece.

No riding anywhere there is not a Chevon. Kinda limits where I can go. Stupid Guzzi engineers! :banghead: :finger:

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

It went in as a unit, so it can come out as a unit.

11. Mayakovski

I agree with the theory, but in practice, two mechanics and two mechanically minded people say no. :)

12. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

when I did the 2017 it went fairly easy. that was 6 months ago.
    I just did the 2015 Saturday. It fought back tooth and nail but I finally won out. as I recall when looking at the hole (that they sure should have made bigger) the right side comes up and out at a goofy angle then the back of the left side first and a whole lot of small little twists and turns later you will be holding that little p^^^k in your hand. Amazingly it seems to pop back in when changed out.
    To be clear the harder you try, the madder you get the more it fights back. It's one of deals where you just need to walk away for a while.

john zibell likes this.
  13. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

With all do respect I say again....
    "Hmmmm. I gotta question the capability of your "mechanically minded friends".

The filter on my V7 Special failed with only about 1.3K miles on the clock leaving me stranded over 800 miles from home. I suggest all owners replace the OEM filter ASAP or risk the same consequence. Even better, have the dealer replace it before taking delivery of a new bike."

Paul

john zibell likes this.
  14. John Verburg

John Verburg Just got it firing!

Watching the discussion with interest, as I know i will need to do it someday. It appears that your are approaching it two different ways. One to pull it out the top of the fuel inlet, which to me appears impossible as well. and two to take it out from the bottom tunnel side of the tank. Can you or do you know of anyone that has posted a video on this. From the thread it is needed. Can't find a place on the site for this sort of stuff, but Utube should work for it.
    Thanks for the inoformation.

15. vagrant

there is no way to remove it from the fill cap. no video I'm aware of.

Bill Hagan, roadscum and Godfrey like this.
  16. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

What vagrant said. I don't quite understand why Mayakovski is having so much difficulty. I haven't done the job myself, but I've seen it done: it's just a little bit fussy and tedious, but certainly possible.

I'll tell ya about it when I change my fuel filter. When that'll happen, I don't know. The OEM filter is still in there and the bike is running perfectly so far. :) Maybe I'll do it when I get to the 6000 mile service... That's about 1500 miles away.

17. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I have not done this task, but wonder, given the OP's singular experience, if the gasket has not somehow chemically fused to the tank paint from some fuel contaminant or additive?

Bill

18. vagrant

I don't think he's saying it's stuck. he just hasn't figured out the contorshion angle.

Mayakovski likes this.
  19. Mayakovski

Correct.
    The unit unscrews and loosens just fine. I just cannot find an angle or maneuver that allows even a small chance of removal.

20. vagrant

Don't worry! We've got Bills curiosity up now and he has two of the little buggers and we know he has a camera. for a slight fee he just might snap a few, dozen that is.

Bill Hagan likes this.