Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Amidst the global dilemma, we’re offering free shipping in the U.S. now EXTENDED through Monday (4/6). Use COVID-19-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone, stay healthy, and please be helpful to those who aren’t.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum, by FACT NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - it should be common sense, but sadly needs to be stated; BE COURTEOUS! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7 III gearbox oil change

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by JACoH, Nov 19, 2017.

1. JACoH

JACoH Cruisin' Guzzisti

Performed my first gearbox oil change yesterday, have been studying it, wondering if it could be done without removing the RH exhaust pipe because it looks like the plug is too close to the crossover pipe to be removed. After a 50 mile ride in 45 degree weather, I grabbed my open ended 24 mm wrench (which is about a foot long) and it fit nicely above the header pipe allowing a quick and easy removal of the plug, which safely dropped into the plastic drain pan undamaged. And it could be retrieved because the oil drains very slowly with the filter in the way. The filter can then be pulled out with long needle nose pliers. Opening the filler plug then allows the rest of the oil to drain, which I let it do overnight. Reverse the procedure with new o'rings, and oil, easy peasy.

V7 Dreaming likes this.
  2. Vixay Sysouthavongsa

Vixay Sysouthavongsa Just got it firing!

I know this was about 2 years ago but is it the case? So I don’t have to remove the exhaust pipe? I’ve been trying to figure out what wrench and it seems like you answered it. 24mm it is and I’ll try it without removing the pipe.

3. jefrs

jefrs Just got it firing!

I reckon if you use a suitable socket drive you don't have to remove anything. It may be more accessible on centre stand but side stand will have the drain lowest; both drain and fill being on the left.

Centre stand is a H&B option. Centre stand loosen. Side stand drain. Centre stand again, fill 500ml.

I've got a racket going on in neutral. I reckon the monkeys have either used the wrong oil or the wrong amount; it's a used bike. Gearbox oil change called for.

4. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

you have be specific about what year an if six or 5 speed. the 2017 6 speed is 500 ml but the 5 speed 2015 is 1000. also pull the fill plug once the drain plug is out. it will drain right away if warm.

PepperoniBros. likes this.