• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III gearing?

ronaldo

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hi Folks, a newbie to the V7 world (and hopefully a future owner) but a past Mille GT owner. 'Rode a demo V7 II once and liked it a bunch, but the gearing at highway speeds (let's say 75-ish) seemed quite short, straining the little bike needlessly. Now, I recall reading that when the V7 went from a 5 speed to a 6, top gear was virtually the same. Seems to me they could have made 6th a real 6th gear, not just tightening the gaps throughout (yup, I know that helps acceleration, but that's only good for riders who stay off the open interstates, which I can't). Anyway, I read that the new V7 III has altered 1st and 6th gears. Anyone have any actual numbers to compare? Or, maybe there's a way to swap out the final drive to a taller final ratio like I did on my K75S (from a busy 3.20 to a calm 2.81). Thanks!

Make a small donation to the site, and you can download the Manuals on the tab above.

'16 V7 II:
IMG 1243

'17 V7 III
IMG 1242

my 2015 is very happy at 80-90 in 5th gear. yes it's wound up but that's where this engine needs to run. I've never gotten less than 50 MPG at that speed and it has more passing power there than my old EV ever dreamed of.

Thanks GT-Rx for posting the info (I made the small donation for viewing the manuals). Well I guess if we do the math and divide the old 6th ratio by the new, we get a 3.6% taller gear, which sounds great to me. Can't wait to try it. The middle gears are the same, but sure enough, the new 1st gear is taller by an even larger margin: maybe Guzzi figures the extra torque of the new III is enough to move it away from stops without 1st running out too quick.

my 2015 is very happy at 80-90 in 5th gear. yes it's wound up but that's where this engine needs to run. I've never gotten less than 50 MPG at that speed and it has more passing power there than my old EV ever dreamed of.
That is my experience with my new V7iii. I tend to back off from a full 90 more because I have no windshield than winding the motor out. My bike does not feel nearly as happy below 4k RPMs as it does above 4.5k rpms.

I'm with Socal and vagrant,my '16 Racer feels best at about 4.5k at 4k and below it feels like its bogging out.5th gear gets 85-90mph just fine,havent used 6th much at all.

Hi Folks, a newbie to the V7 world (and hopefully a future owner) but a past Mille GT owner. 'Rode a demo V7 II once and liked it a bunch, but the gearing at highway speeds (let's say 75-ish) seemed quite short, straining the little bike needlessly. Now, I recall reading that when the V7 went from a 5 speed to a 6, top gear was virtually the same. Seems to me they could have made 6th a real 6th gear, not just tightening the gaps throughout (yup, I know that helps acceleration, but that's only good for riders who stay off the open interstates, which I can't). Anyway, I read that the new V7 III has altered 1st and 6th gears. Anyone have any actual numbers to compare? Or, maybe there's a way to swap out the final drive to a taller final ratio like I did on my K75S (from a busy 3.20 to a calm 2.81). Thanks!

I tend to agree, my V7(3) seems a bit short on gearing, however i would not want first gear much taller.
If i can read into GTM's post, it may be possible to swap out a 6th gear from a v7(3) into a v7(2), ?? but im not sure.
and it would be a lot of work for not much ratio change.

I hear other say "just spin it up", but i would rather keep RPM's a bit lower myself, and intuitively, the V7 feels like it has the torque for taller upper gearing.

So as first gear is about as tall as i want, changing the final drive ratio would not be a good solution, So a full set of custom gears would be the preferred path. however that cost would be hard pill to swallow, and would likely be a total loss if the bike is sold.

Looks like "spin it up" is optimum...(at least for me)

PS> i think the addition of the 820cc kit would make the ratio issue even more noticeable.

This goes back to my question of what RPM we are doing at what speed / gear. ( for us with No tachometer. :( )

Gearing is a huge part of how a bike/car feels;
- shorter gearing winds out quickly and may *Feel* fast but lowers the top speed and you might feel it's reeving a bit at hwy cruising speeds.
- Higher gearing and it might feel sluggish - but have a Harley like 2,500 RPM *idle* at 60 mph... BORRRING :rofl: !!!!!

Last edited:
I use a 130/90 rear tire and the taller profile helps a little with dropping the revs.
Mind you, I live in SoCal and highway speeds are 80+

I use a 130/90 rear tire and the taller profile helps a little with dropping the revs.
Mind you, I live in SoCal and highway speeds are 80+

Oklahoma turn pikes are 85+ (for hours)
Missouri interstates are creeping up there as well... (but only 2 lane and full of 18 wheelers). it's getting nutz...

Back