• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III long trip prep

Micadu

Just got it firing!
So, I am thinking to take my V7 III Special on its first longish trip (~6000 miles spanned across 3 weeks). Now, I could do this trip on my old V-Strom in which case I would just change the oil before the trip and go. However it seems I also have the virus called Moto Guzzi so I am seriously considering taking the V7 out for "a spin". The bike is stock, has currently around 2000 miles and I had its first revision. As this would be my first try in this area I have a few prep questions:

Things that I am considering to do before the trip:
- add a windscreen
- add luggage Hepco & Backer or MG OEM. Any feedback about HB classic vs HB C-Bow vs MG OEM?
- upgrade seat to something more comfortable
- put together a tool kit for the road: Any links/recommendations with what tools I should put together for such a trip? I tried (and failed) to look up for a list of keys and tools that I might need to do the basic stuff on this bike :(
- go to the dealer and do another revision just before leaving
- take some spare tubes and patches (any recommendations? it is my first bike with tubed tires)
- add center stand (H&B) and crash bars (H&B or Givi). Does anyone have any feedback or pros and cons about them?
-would like to raise the bars a bit and maybe lower the footpegs, but I haven't found any aftermarket solution for this. Do you have any preferences or recommendations?
- would like to replace the exhaust system but as I am from Europe I cannot leverage Todd's offers. So most probably I will leave it be.

Am I missing anything?
Should I be concerned in any way about the transmission? (only had chain before)
Should I replace any other consumable before I go?
Any spares that I should also consider taking with me?

Sorry for the longer points, but MG and V7 III in particular are new for me and I am trying to get my bearings. Thank you in advance for your support!

Basically just do the mods that will make you most comfortable, windscreens are always a plus once they are adjusted correctly..

I have ridden for over 40 years & had to patch only one tire on the road, used to carry a ton of tools.
Today's bikes just pack a credit card, if it breaks it probably won't be fixable "on the road'.
If you must carry tools then make it basics only.

As far as luggage goes I have always had throw over bags of different sizes for different needs & found creative ways of using bungee cords to keep them from hitting the wheel or exhaust.

The only thing you are missing is: Have Fun!!!! Don't over plan & try to prepare for every thing.
Mmishaps are just a cool way to meet really great people.

Only tools I have added to my Special bag are extra allens, and Vice Grips. You should make sure all your wrenches fit the rear axle and associated parts to dismantle. I don't think you will need anything special. I replaced the tube type wheels with Stone wheels to eliminate that issue after my first flat. You won't have any problems, in fact, I would think going across Europe, you would find more dealers than if you crossed the US!
I do have the HB center stand and would recommend it, also add some fork boots to protect the fork tubes.
Handlebar risers or slightly higher bars might help, most will fit, but only lowered pegs I've seen are those aluminum tube things that look cheap to me. Just ride and enjoy the trip.

Presuming you have completed break-in and have done the break-in service, the service intervals after that are 6000 miles. So in a 6000 mile trip, you don't really need to have a major load of tools until you get home to do the service.

A modest windscreen, a set of the Hepco Becker luggage, a modest toolkit (3mm, 5mm, 6mm hex wrenches, a couple of combination spanners (8mm, 10mm, 13mm, a decent multi-head screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a pocket knife or utility tool), a good tire pressure gauge, and GT's tool to loosen and tighten the dipstick are all I'd carry. Along with a couple of shop rags.

Don't worry about the tires. Don't worry about much. Ride and enjoy. Your V7III will carry you anywhere you're likely to want to go with a street motorcycle. :D

(My bike is a V7III Racer and I wouldn't dream of raising the handlebars or lowering the foot pegs, I find it so comfortable.)

Going from 2,000 miles currently to a total of 8,000 miles sounds like you'll need to replace tires on the trip. Best to plan for that and have the tires you want waiting for you at a place that can change them out for you.

I have the C-Bow panniers on my V7iii. They're neat, strong and reliable. However, the bag/case options are all very small so far. Around the 20 to 22 litre mark - my only criticism of them.

My luggage solution for Racer is a dual seat, a small rack, and a u-bag that can handle 37L of gear. I'll test it on the road soon... .

I have the C-Bow panniers on my V7iii. They're neat, strong and reliable. However, the bag/case options are all very small so far. Around the 20 to 22 litre mark - my only criticism of them.

Not quite true. I have the Nevada leather bags @ 28 liter, also there are the Big Buffalo leather bags @ 30 and 35 liters. Possibly others too.

First, I am, as I suspect many others here are, too, very envious.

Second, 6000 miles! Where? East, west, north, south … or all of those?

Yes, to windscreen.

Luggage? I have the C-Bow system on my Griso and mounted same on my brother’s V7III Special. I have the “early” soft bags; he, the new hard bags. I may get the hard ones myself, as the soft ones are more limiting in several likely obvious ways.

EzADFrxKTPaNJ09eyfotcQ thumb 5cb4

Yes, to windscreen.

As for tools, that’s always a YMMV question. I have posted here before I think — but am too lazy to search — that my tool list depends on which motorcycle I am on, and even that has been reduced by the passage of time and “sorting ‘em out.”

But, for years, I carried enough tools on my EV to do “depot-level maintenance.” On my Ballabio, similar equipage. The Norge, ditto.

Yet, the Griso has been — but for that “rollerization” fiasco; a pox on Piaggio for that — not virtually trouble free, but trouble free. I still carry the (pathetic) OEM kit with a few usual suspects, e.g., adjustable wrench,cable ties and tire-repair kit, but little else, even on longish, multi-day trips.

The Stornello only has 2K miles on it, so too soon to tell, but thus far, nada. I did, however, install a small DIY "tool tube" to carry maps and a tool or too. Came in handy yesterday when a few miles from home I realized I had not sufficiently tightened the Ram mount for my GPS. Doh. Many needs for tools are -- at least in my case :swear: -- are self-inflicted.

4gLnMv0ZSP62JqM5gfgTQ thumb 5d7e

Lamentably, IMO, the V7 line has tube tires, so that center stand might be a useful addition in case yyou need to remove a wheel for a local shop … I doubt you’ll be doing tire repair at by the side of the road. With all the money you’ll save by NOT doing what you posted about, the center stand is chump change.

Yes, to windscreen.

In that regard, and for those who roll their eyes at Guzzi “adventure” machines, I’ll toss in here in response to that and to your question that “mototrekkin” [Johnston Julio] is “as we speak” nearly to Tierra de Fuego from southern California on his virtually stock Stornello!

H9OqLjXRTkenwQloYTuXQ thumb 5cb8

As best I can recall, he’s only done oil and tire changes. My point is See https://www.facebook.com/johnston.julao or https://www.instagram.com/mototrekkin/ Impressive. No, that isn’t praise enough.

Yes, to windscreen.

Trout gave some of the best advice in this thread: "The only thing you are missing is: Have Fun!!!! Don't over plan & try to prepare for every thing."

Best wishes from Cross Junction, Virginia,

Bill

P.S. Yes, to windscreen. :giggle:

Hey, thanks a lot for all the detailed answers. So windscreen for sure :) c-bow system also seems to be the right choice. I wanted something unobtrusive but sturdy and it seems this would be a good choice.
Regarding the trip: it is west, from Romania to Marocco and back. So it is Europe plus a bit of Africa. Traveling solo. Having fun is definitely something that I will be looking to have.
@Bill I have the same color V7III like your brother. How big are the sidecases in the picture? They don't look bad at all

Not sure of size. At doc now for annual check-up, so no time to look, but see more here (in thread drift): https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gps-connections-on-v7-ii-iiis.17847/#post-139819

Hard bags are nice; wish I had 'em. That said, the disadvantage is very finite packing limits. Packing discipline is not my strength, but I almost always find at end of trip that I took too much. 'Course, if I'd needed it. ;)

Great plan, btw. Take pix; give us ride report.

Bill

P.S. Check out the "mototrekkin" links above. He made it to Tierra del Fuego!

I have a V7ll special with 2 inch lower footpegs from Knight Design. Great product but you will need to adjust the gear lever and foot brake. For the brake i replace the stop with a 6mm bolt and a stack of large washers. That will make sense when you have a look. I havnt scraped them at all but im not an aggressive rider.
I have also installed some LSL bars available here that have a little more pull back and height.
Regarding screens i have both the dart and Marlin. At 6'2" the dart puts the wind right at chin level and the Marlin sort of top of head area. At the moment in the summer im running without either and would depend on helmet which one i would prefer. I like wind on the visor with the full face so the dart is best for that and the Marlin for an open face.
Tools..... I carry a good multi and a selection of allen keys plus tyre stuff if im going remote. Look at Motion pro alloy tyre levers with the spanner on one end. The 2 i have are sized for the front and rear wheel. People who say you only need a credit card i think are crazy. So many little things can and will rattle loose . Silly to not have even some basic tools. Cable ties taped to the frame rails also. I have a HB center stand so its easier to remove the rear wheel.
Bags here are a Kriega US-30 with 2 Ortleib speedbags. Still enough room for my wife....just

Attachments

• IMG_8189.JPG
    IMG_8189.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Not quite true. I have the Nevada leather bags @ 28 liter, also there are the Big Buffalo leather bags @ 30 and 35 liters. Possibly others too.
Yes, you're right. I see a couple at 28 litre and one at 30 litre on the H&B site, but the prices are entirely prohibitive. And they're still quite small. However, towing a trailer negates that complaint for me.

I don't have too much to add as I don't have a small block, but just wanted to say hello to Alex as it has been a long time since you stayed on my couch before heading over the border to Mexico!

Here's a pic of my buddy's V-7 Special set up for when we went down to Copper Canyon last year. He custom mounted some inexpensive aluminum panniers at the expense of the passenger portion of the seat and then mounted a cheap top box right on top. Some lowered pegs, handlebar risers and a windshield and he was ready to go.

He also had his front wheel changed over to a 19" rim to open up more tire options but that may be a bit over the top for most people.

P1020245 by Adam Fuller, on Flickr

Back