• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Special..quirks, advice, trip odometer?

Todd,

My dealer (Italian Superbikes) has really impressed me. While I was waiting for the mechanic to check my Special, I saw at least four serious lookers, perhaps buyers evaluating the Moto Guzzis. I have never see a MG dealer that has the entire line up. They are very serious about selling and servicing and expanding Guzzi into the Houston area. The market is here, no doubt. So, yeah: opportunity for Guzzi Tech especially as this owner really, really likes to customize bikes. He sells Guzzi, Aprilia and MV Agusta and keeps older Ducatis running. And the owners are riders, not just business guys. Co-owner was the one that lusted after my V7R, hence greased the trade.

Rode my 2015 STRX Triumph 675 Triple to church today. I love the bike. However, the new Special really, really holds its own in comparison, but in its unique way. My 2012 V7R felt like an antique compared to the Triumph (aka Hot Rod). Not so the new Mark III small block. I look forward to fully breaking in the new bike. Damn, aren't they a pair? La dolce, vita.... STRX Special

Damn, aren't they a pair?
Yes, video game vs proper motorbike. ;)
Not a dig, I like power... as I owned the Thruxton R for rental duties for one year... but most all of the OEMs are so digital in a ride sense these days, they're downright characterless boring. Only the speedo tells you otherwise.

Lol...yeah I get it. Actually the Special has traction control, the Trumpet not. I am enamored with the triple. Background is I used to race Ski-Doo, 2-stroke, free-air, triple carbureted, expansion chamber fitted, methanol fueled racing machines. Even took a clinic from Yvon Duhamel. Anyway, I lusted after a 3 cylinder bike for years, finally settled on the STRX. A vintage Kawasaki Mach III 500 would be ideal, but they are rare, touchy, and expensive. Almost bought a MV Agusta triple--but went for the Triumph given at the time very poor MVA dealer.

I beg to differ on character. The STRX is loaded with charm: incredible engine, Jekyll-Hyde smooth-terror nature, and razor handling, and the Klingon war-bird bug eyes are endearing, if not just plain peculiar.

Given that, well the Special...just love that bubble-wobble rocking torque at idle.

I have my brother's new Special here in the Moto Grappa awaiting my trailering it to him in Atlanta next week.

Have installed C-Bows, Dart Classic w/s, removed a silly decal or two, and am now trying to figure out how to adjust shifter lever up a wee bit to accommodate Michael's fat feet ... erm ... I mean the manly toe box of his left boot. :rofl:

Anyone done any adjustment to that yet?

Looks a bit more fidgety than others in my harem.

Bill
IMG 20170808 152016177

Looks a bit more fidgety than others in my harem.
Nah, loosen both of those 10mm nuts on the shift linkage and twist to suit. Might be easiest to pop one of the heim joints off (cir-clip). Don't forget to re-tighten. ;)
Where'd your bro get the Dart and C-Bows from?

Thanks, Todd. Headed down to Moto Grappa to give that a shot now.

I'll ask him. He dropped-shipped them here, but he has paperwork and tree-hugger Kathi snatched boxes for recycling and they are gone.

Michael is not a motorcycle-forum guy. He hears of something somewhere, goes on line, and orders.

I'll should have alerted him to your store and will do that later today.

Bill

Problem raising the shift lever is that it hits the peg bracket upon lifting. What I did (because of an issue with ankle) is make a bracket out of 1/8" aluminum, drilled 3- 8mm holes, and one larger to go around the shift lever, raising the peg about an inch, well here are pics...

P1010221 P1010222

Problem raising the shift lever is that it hits the peg bracket upon lifting. What I did (because of an issue with ankle) is make a bracket out of 1/8" aluminum, drilled 3- 8mm holes, and one larger to go around the shift lever, raising the peg about an inch, well here are pics...

Most interesting.

Many thanks!

Bill

Moving from my Racer with the small aluminum pegs to the big fat rubber ones on the Special has been a bit of a pain. Bottoms of my kevlar jeans tend to jam the pegs. Thinking of either different jeans, or perhaps replacing pegs with smaller ones. Adjustment though is ok even for my fat toes.

Moving from my Racer with the small aluminum pegs to the big fat rubber ones on the Special has been a bit of a pain. Bottoms of my kevlar jeans tend to jam the pegs. Thinking of either different jeans, or perhaps replacing pegs with smaller ones. Adjustment though is ok even for my fat toes.
Hem them up a bit or simply fold them under, the jeans, not the pegs.

Paul

I cut off an inch of the pegs to keep from grabbing my riding pants, it was silly to make them pointed too.

Sew in Velcro strips around the cuffs to take up the xtra material?

Could do like leather pants & put a zipper on the leg.

All,

Ok, today I took the Special out towards the coast, that is Galveston, TX. It tends to be windy. Do have on the new Dart fly-screen and it helps. Also ran into typical road resurfacing on a stretch where they peel top off and leave a grainy-grooved surface. What I notice about the new V7 III compared to my old 2012 Racer: the new bike tracks better.

The Racer tended to be more nervous and dodgy. Yes, air pressure correct and not a squared, worn rear tire either. So, a quirk of the new bikes due to slightly changed rake and trail? V7 III track better or is it my imagination? Bike is so much superior for high speed, long flat runs typical of this part of Texas. Combination of 6 gears, better HP and torque make an enormous difference. I think I can ride this bike much longer distances. Much smoother too, less vibration, engine not working so hard at 80 mph. Got over 60 miles/gallon.

Engine light came on/off in the past week. There is a definite correlation between high humidity/rain riding and sensor trip. We had a few days very dry air here in Houston area, and sure enough: check engine light went off. I am keeping my dealer updated and he is updating Luigi in Mandello. Still waiting rear rack, plan on changing out to smaller footpegs-- bike is running fantastic at around 800 miles: smooth and strong. Had it up to 90 today, engine takes it all in stride, very planted and not nearly as buzzy as old 2012 V7R. Loving this bike. Want to gear up for overnights into TEXAS hill country now that fall is starting to slide in.

Tried all my tricks to find neutral: roll bike a bit, try to go 2 down to N while still moving, clutch out a bit, everything: no joy. Ugh.

Any advice on the neutral issue is welcome please.

It's new and tight. Don't wait for the dealer, use the owner's manual and check the clutch adjustment. It's usually something you can set right there on the handlebar.

(The last bike I bought new was adjusted so poorly out of the dealership when I got it that it was almost impossible to ride. Three minutes to set the free play correctly, and it became easy to find neutral within another 30 miles.)

I had dealer mechanic reset the free play couple months ago. Bike now shifts perfect, extremely smooth. Yeah, bikes as shipped and set up often an issue.

I posted before I read the whole thread through. Sorry for the redundant information...

"...Yeah, bikes as shipped and set up often an issue."

It's a nuisance. Back when I worked for a Honda motorcycle dealership in the 1970s, it was a constant battle with the service department to be sure that the new bikes were set up properly for delivery to the customers. Service tended to give new bike setup assignments to the most junior workers, who simply followed the checklist and didn't really understand what they were doing yet. That's why I have taken it on myself to vet the setup of every new motorcycle I've ever purchased. By the time I've finished the 'pre-delivery re-set up', I usually understand my new bike pretty well.. And it runs nicely! :)

Back