• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Special..quirks, advice, trip odometer?

Another quirk, actually good thing: very comfy seat, at least for me. Pretty long ride this morning: 2 hours to meet buddy for breakfast. Only 63 miles, but Gulf Coast, post-hurricane road repair/construction and general Friday busyness. The Special is very comfortable. Second part of ride was better with hills and curves and farm country. Bike is running fantastic. No long-long break-in like the old V7R. This machine is like a little transverse, V-twin, air cooled turbine by comparison: smooth, powerful and quiet. Need new pipes.

Darth,

First of all congratulations for buying a superb bike at an outstanding dealer.

Enjoy the ride, be safe and if N is hard to find insist on a tweak. Made a huge difference with my bike. Be sure to do that first maintenance valve adjust and oil change/filter.

Are you in Houston?

cheers,
Greg

I surprisingly find neutral easy to find on this than my Harley. I mean my old Kawasaki had a beautiful neutral finder that didn't allow the gearbox to go into second when the bike wasn't in motion 100% of the time, so I am a little spoilt but I can always get it into N super easy on the first attempt.
What I have noticed however is that sometimes it doesn't go into first from a standstill. But my old enfield used to do that too and you just jiggle the clutch a bit to sort that out

Rode my 2015 STRX Triumph 675 Triple to church today. I love the bike. However, the new Special really, really holds its own in comparison, but in its unique way. My 2012 V7R felt like an antique compared to the Triumph (aka Hot Rod). Not so the new Mark III small block. I look forward to fully breaking in the new bike. Damn, aren't they a pair? La dolce, vita....View attachment 13029

Im actually looking into a street triple as a second bike, love the look of it

Regarding gas light, it does come on early. I need to figure out what the real range is. I think I went 50 miles after the light came on once and still only but in a bit over 4 gallons.

The gauges show I am getting about 54 MPG.
My low fuel light comes on with about 25% of the tank remaining. I've purposely run it out of fuel 3 times now, each with the same result. Make sure you have a few spare litres with you when you do it.

The V7 fuel tank nominally holds 5.5 US gallons, but it can never take on that much fuel in practice. You lose about .25 gallon for the required air space at the top of the tank when full, and the fuel pump should never really be run dry other than for a moment or two, so another .25 gallon., That leaves about 5 US gallons of usable fuel capacity. The fuel low (reserve) light goes on when the fuel level has dropped by about 4 gallons, leaving about one gallon in reserve.

I ignore the bike's calculated mileage readouts ... I've never found such things very accurate or informative, don't know why they clutter up the instrumentation with them at all. I record mileage and amount of fuel added every time I fuel up, and plot the fuel economy that way. My overall combined city/travel average fuel economy over 3400 miles riding is flat and level at 48.3 mpg; the low fuel warning comes on between 185 and 200 miles, and the tank always takes 3.8 to 4.0 gallons at that point. That means that I have about 50 miles of reserve fuel once the light comes on. I've run it out to about 43 miles of that distance, and put very close to 5 gallons in on those occasions.

I'm surprised that no-one's added to this thread in 2 1/2 years! I just bought a 2019 V7 III Stone Night Pack, and like all Guzzis it has its quirks. Some I don't notice as I'm used to Guzzi - I love the crankshaft torque effect at idle! Gearbox is surprisingly light and smooth, much better than the '97 Sport1100i I had. As for MPG, I only have about 550 miles, so time will tell, but for the first couple of fillups I'm getting around 53mpg. Interestingly (and annoyingly) the "imperial" setting for the LCD readouts seem to be UK, rather than US. Miles are obviously the same, but US gallons are smaller - the readout is clearly in UK gallons as it claims 65mpg or so, about 20% high. Irritating. Although I agree with Godrfrey in not trusting the ECU's claimed mpg!

The other annoying "quirk" is that the check engine light came on the other day. I called the dealer and arranged for them to read it the next day, but when I started the bike to ride over in the morning, the CEL went out as normal. And hasn't come on again since. Oh well, hopefully it was just a glitch. I had met with a friend who wanted to hear the engine, and we got to chatting, and it probably idled in the warm sun (75F) for 10 - 15min before I rode off and noticed the CEL was on. Perhaps something overheated or vapor got stuck somewhere and it didn't reset until left overnight.

I'd like to add a Dart flyscreen but sadly they don't make them (yet) for the Night Pack with its different headlight. I contacted them, and they said the do plan to make them, once covid is over. I'm also hoping that the 2021 models will have the same headlight arrangement, giving them more incentive!

I have enjoyed this thread as a new and first time Guzzi owner. I have a 2020 Special and totally love it....what a fantastic bike! I am learning about the few idiosyncrasies but they have all disappeared after 1200 miles of riding. Getting some mileage on it and being able to rev it a bit is an extraordinary experience. I have the red light shift point set at 6,000 now but have not yet seen it light as I have been shifting at about 5,500 when I am hurrying her a bit. I did have one weirdness occur after refueling the other day. I started up and the tach showed 4,000 RPM at idle! But the idle was normal......? As I accelerated way the engine revs shoed 8,000 and a pinned tach! I kept the revs extra low just in case this could cause a tach problem. I stopped the bike and then restarted the engine and they tach again worked normally. Anyone ever have this happen?

No, any chance you started it instantly without waiting for the needles to finish their start up sweep.
I don't think I ever do that but it is possible I didn't wait for it to return to zero. I will certainly make sure in the future. Thanks for reply vagrant.

Back