• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Suspension Thread

Thanks for the info guys. The fork will get some attention but it's tolerable for now whereas the rear REALLY wants help.
Welcome. I've also stated hundreds of times here that you don't know how bad the front is until you correct the back. I recommend you re-read my words above on both ends at once.

Welcome. I've also stated hundreds of times here that you don't know how bad the front is until you correct the back. I recommend you re-read my words above on both ends at once.
And the Front kit is On Sale NOW !!!
just in time for the Holiday Gift giving season :drunk: have you been Good this year ?

Get yourself a little something extra :giggle:

Last edited:
Service info.
I mounted the Bitubo WME02V2 rear shock absorbers with preload/extension adjustment.
Another planet, I had done it before... apart from that he feels the millimeter adjustments of the preload, but the comfort has increased dramatically....
No more dry barrels on the back even at 120-130 per hour....
Mount Oram, mount Bitubo, mount Ohlins, Mount Matris, mount whatever you want....
Throw away that shit of original shock absorbers.

IMG20211213125245

Hey team, I've got the opportunity to put a pair of mint bitubo piggy back shocks on my V7iii that came off a v7ii racer. Obviously the shock length is different - from 350mm on the iii to 390mm for the ii. Question is, will it work without compromising the handling/longevity? I know that 370mm is preferred by lots of people as a replacement to OEM. And secondly, if it isn't a good idea, can 20mm be taken of it's length without too many dramas or expense (work obviously done by a shock expert).

Also, if you run longer rear shocks, does that negate the need to drop the forks in the triple clamps? Currently I run them 15mm down, and it's made a huge difference. Thanks for your help!

I did some trial fitments with longer dampers on my V7III. First try was a pair of 380 mm Hagons. When the bike was on the paddock stand rotating the rear wheel revealed definite binding at the gearbox end of the driveline. When the bike was on the ground this binding was still apparent when pushing the bike around the shop. When the pre-load was set at minimum and my weight was on the bike the binding was not present.

I think the recommendation of 370mm length as maximum should be heeded. I finally chose 360mm Hagon dampers with 20kg springs. The ride quality is more controlled with less harshness. I know there are better dampers available but the Hagon 2810 suit my riding style and didn't cost a huge amount.

With respect to the fork tube protrusion on the top yoke it will become apparent when you ride with longer dampers if the tubes need to be moved. I set mine at about 15mm proud with the 360mm shocks and it's just fine for me. YMMV.

I suspect altering dampers to a shorter O.A.L. would be an expensive pain in the rear.

I decided to check the rear setup on my V7111 stone. Stock standard. I am 70Kgs and full winter riding gear is another 5 to 6 Kgs so 165Lbs. I thoroughly read the entire thread in relation to standard shocks and tried to grasp the information on page 1 and various other YouTube vids. 6 months ago I had reduced the visible threads from 12 down to 6 and that improved it a lot for me.
Enlisted a helper last Sunday and away I went.
Did the 3 measurements and even checked measurements both sides. I decided on a target sag of 1 1/4 inch. (An Australian but with only a really old tape measure) Utilised a backpack with 5kg of weights inside. The initial few turns resulted in target sag going from 7/8" to 1" after that results slowed down.
End result is I am down to 1.5 visible threads on both sides but it appears that the spring is fully extended and I cant quite get 1 1/4inch. I am at about 1 1/16th.
I dont really want to lower the lock nut any further.
I haven't been for a ride yet, and the way I corner its not critical.
Just wanted to post here and see if I have missed something in my calculations.

The stock spring is a 9".
It is factory set at a compression of 1", i.e. a packed spring length: 8".
With 75kg you should not deviate more than 1/2" from this value for the preload.
I am 70kgs and I set a spring length of 8"1/4 for a SAG of 1" 1/3

Last edited:
It will work but shock still is poor. Get a set of GT shocks and enjoy
Thanks Steve, but why bother. Despite all of my work and research posted here, people still would rather not read and pretend they are the first to have to solve a problem, and use this Forum to work out the solutions I have already posted on how to, sometimes nearly decade ago. That, or listen to other random people on other sites and social media channels, and try to argue and debate me on it (and get indignant when I don’t agree). Also many prefer to discuss, in detail (and usually with links to) products I don’t sell here. Not sure why, and at this point it’s easier to delete than explain that they just need to read, listen, comprehend and click on the STORE tab above. And last, everyone wants to complain about the cost. ;)

Disappointed in the put down GTM. Thought I had explained myself fairly well. Don't bother with the reminder to log in that comes to my email every now and then. As for Vagrant he probably has never heard of Australia.

I think you personalized something that was made as an "in general" comment.

You complain about Todd as if he directly attacked you but then you go and do the exact same thing to both Todd and Vagrant. Can you not see this?

We all know where Australia is around here.

Unfortunately, every time there is a clash of some magnitude around here, it is invariably with somebody from Down Under.

You guys are a cantankerous people for sure. The Kiwis are always super nice, but the Aussies, never. What is that? I wish I knew.

Disappointed in the put down GTM. Thought I had explained myself fairly well. Don't bother with the reminder to log in that comes to my email every now and then.
Huh? My statement is in truth. I didn't quote or call you out. All of the info you are looking for is in the first part of the of this post. This isn't a social media site (in which I put the fault) where people show up and demand attention. It's a reference site to come and gain knowledge by reading what is here, and has been for a very long time. I think I've earned that respect by developing and maintaining this website since 2001, working on Guzzis for nearly two decades (and owning a professional workshop for ~7 years) and my lifetime in motorcycles. My resume HERE in case you care to read it. That is all.
Thanks also Scott.

20mm with no issues.
On my V7III Special I have the 20mm longer (370mm ctrs) Matris M40D shocks and the F15K fork cartridge kit which makes the handling and ride so much better over stock suspension!
Sag is set up OK as per these pages.
Should I also raise or lower the forks, as mentioned in this thread, to compensate for the longer shocks? I do note you recommend raising the forks in the triple tree in the first post, but was wondering if that would effect the geometry too much with the rear raised.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Should I also raise or lower the forks, as mentioned in this thread, to compensate for the longer shocks?
Thanks for the post. What front tire size and type are you running?

110/80 Pirelli MT-60 RS for a bit easy gravel and tarmac.
Might go to a road 110/80 Pirelli Sport Demon or Dunlop Arrowmax type later this year.

Drop the forks 10mm with the 110/80 profile. Sadly the best tire out there (Conti RA3) is drying up.

Drop the forks 10mm with the 110/80 profile. Sadly the best tire out there (Conti RA3) is drying up.
Thanks Todd. I'll give the 10mm a try. Tire recommendation noted - I'll see what is available when I need them.
Thanks for your time.
Andy

Doing a lot of reading on upgrading the suspension on my new to me 2017 Stone and keep seeing mention of raising the forks a bit. What is the standard height of the stock forks above the triple clamp? On my bike (see the pictures) the forks are raised 6 mm (1/4") above the triple clamp (measuring from the top of the black clamp to the top edge of the fork cap). Is this standard? I plan on doing a front/rear suspension upgrade but am curious about the stock fork height measurement.

Fork11

Fork2

Back