• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Suspension Thread

I added GT's straight springs to my forks for my fat butt weight 800 miles ago. I need to do the front tire so I will change the fork oil from the stock at 9500 miles. IF YOU have changed yours what weight do you suggest and how many ounces or distance from the top of the fork with springs installed do you suggest for the V7III?
Thanks
20w and 10mm higher than spec.

Be careful how far you go. I have NO idea how this stands on the V7, but, on my DR650 if you raise the forks (in the triple clamps) more than 5/8", you risk the fork sliders hitting the lower triple clamp if you bottom the suspension. Others in the DR world have done expensive damage by not taking heed. Other than that, please let us know what you settle on.
If the front end is sprung properly for the rider’s weight, 25mm is a non-issue. If stock springs, it can get dangerous quickly at stock ride height for riders over 180 lbs.

the only spec I found was from someone here at 130MM. Assuming that's right raise to 120MM from the top? my first time playing with this front end stuff.
It's in the Service manual, see the Downloads tab above.

So I had a pair of Audace rear shocks lying around. I decided to see if they fit my V7iii. They are only a little heavier the the stock shocks. They fit! I took a bunch of Preload out and adjusted the dampening. They are about a half inch longer then stock. Really like where they put the bike. I am 225lbs with gear. They feel nice on the bike. The small bumps are barely notable and the big bumps lost there sharp edge. The back end pushed up makes the ride nicer in the corners.

So I have a set of shocks on order. I have to debate if I need them now. If I don’t I will do a store credit towards some other bauble. I want bags but I don’t know if the shocks with reservoir will allow bags. These shocks were an improvement over the stock V7 Shocks.

Attachments

• 0EC73DE3-7F90-4B65-93F2-7C1B14E078D8.jpeg
    0EC73DE3-7F90-4B65-93F2-7C1B14E078D8.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 104
So I had a pair of Audace rear shocks lying around. I decided to see if they fit my V7iii. They are only a little heavier the the stock shocks. They fit! I took a bunch of Preload out and adjusted the dampening. They are about a half inch longer then stock. Really like where they put the bike. I am 225lbs with gear. They feel nice on the bike. The small bumps are barely notable and the big bumps lost there sharp edge. The back end pushed up makes the ride nicer in the corners.

So I have a set of shocks on order. I have to debate if I need them now. If I don’t I will do a store credit towards some other bauble. I want bags but I don’t know if the shocks with reservoir will allow bags. These shocks were an improvement over the stock V7 Shocks.
Nice, looks really sharp as well.

Sorry, but people have been doing silly things like this for decades... because it’s cheap and easy, I get it. There is no way a shock designed for an 800 lb bike with completely different swing-arm geometry can work even remotely decently without a massive spring and damping revision.
Even if it “feels OK” doing so can be not only dangerous, but amplify the overly soft front end for your weight.
I’m merging this with the suspension thread, but I can’t let it be without the above basic facts.

Holy Guacamole!!!
So I haven't been riding much in the last 9 months or so, moved twice, new job etc... I now live on the Washington Idaho border in a much more rural area with lots and lots of gorgeous empty twisty roads. I have managed to get out a few times and enjoy them, but I feel like I haven't been getting all the responsiveness I should be out of my V7III, especially when hitting tight curves with any speed. I was about to just chalk it up to one of those 'cute' little quirks associated with Guzzis (ahem), when I stumbled on to threads suggesting dropping the forks 10-20 mm. I finally went out to the chaotic garage full of unopened boxes and found the tools to make this adjustment happen. I dropped them 15 mm, and also brought the handlebars back toward me about an inch to better accommodate my stocky short armed Scandahoovian frame.
Took the bike out on what I planned to be a 20 mile squirt outside of town, BUT the difference in handling was SO MUCH BETTER I ended up riding 120 miles! So much more planted in corners. I can only imagine what some more adjusting and improvements will do! Of course, then I'm going to want more power, gawd I see where this path is leading...and I love it! I am so re-STOKED on my little Moto!!
The pic is on the Snake River about 5 miles from Clarkston, WA

Snake River crop1

Hot on sorting this bike after getting wise to the potential. Just ordered a Matris front spring kit. Remember reading on here about the RA3s. The Speed Demons were less than sufficient on the wet slimy roads where I used to live but seem a little better here in dry country. I'll try some Continentals to compare.

I just got in from testing a new affordable alternative for the rear twin shocks. As shown below, they are built to order for your weight and riding style.

Purchase info and specs are available here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-s2w-ifp-twin-shocks - I will honor the introductory sale pricing through the end of the year. For the price, I am pretty impressed. Nice build quality, and after a tweak of the spring preload to correct sag, and a quick balance of the damping to match the stock forks, I rode my hilltop test loop. I first rode the stock KYBs as a baseline, then these. Difference was remarkably better. Firm, but plush and compliant. They took the sharp edged bumps and reflector hits very well. No more hard kick in the seat.
Are they top shelf good? No... but as an affordable alternative, or those that just want a good replacement to the stock shocks, these get two thumbs up.

They can be had for all model small (and big!) blocks back to the late 60's. The model list is below the pic.

I added the specs on the first post of this thread.

V 35 C 350 : 82-87
NTX 350 : 86-90
V50 V50 II V50 III V50 Monza : 77-85
V 5 C 500 : 82-87
V 65 FLORIDA 650 : 82-87
V 65 GT 650 : 82-87
V 65 SP 650 : 82-87
V 65C 650 : 82-87
NTX 650 : 86-90
V 65 650 : 92-87
V 7 SPORT 700 : 67-77
750 S3 : 75-79
750 SP / TARGA : 90-93
NTX 750 : 91-94
NEVADA 750 : 98-09
NEVADA 750 : 10-13
750 BREVA ie : 03-10
V7 / V7 II : 08-16
V7 III : 16+
V9 : 16+
T 3/4 850 : 75-82
T3 CALIFORNIA 850 : 75-82
850 LE MANS I / II : 76-80
850 LE MANS III : 81-85
T 5 850 I / II / III : 83-87
CONVERT 1000 : 75-82
G 5 1000 : 79-85
SP 1000 : 77-82
SP 1000 II / III : 83-87
1000 LE MANS IV / V : 84-88
GT 1000 : 87-93
STRADA 1000 : 93-94
CALIFORNIA 1000 : 82-93
CALIFORNIA 1000 II : 81-87
CALIFORNIA 1000 III : 87-93
CALIFORNIA 1000 III INJECTION : 93
CALIFORNIA 1100 CARB/INJECTION : 94-97
CALIFORNIA 1100 EVOLUTION : 97-00
CALIFORNIA 1100 EVOLUTION : 01-02
CALIFORNIA 1100 EVOLUTION PI : 02
CALIFORNIA SPECIAL 1100 : 99-00
CALIFORNIA JACKAL 1100 : 99-01
CALIFORNIA STONE 1100: 00-01
CALIFORNIA STONE 1100 : 01-02
CALIFORNIA SPORT 1100 : 01-02
CALIFORNIA STONE METAL 1100 : 02-03
TITANIUM SPECIAL SPORT 1100 : 02-03
ALUMINIUM SPECIAL SPORT 1100 : 02-03
CALIFORNIA 1100 : 03-05
CALIFORNIA TOURING / CLASSIC 1100 : 06-08
CALIFORNIA VINTAGE 1100 : 06-13
CALIFORNIA 1400 : 13+
Hey Todd, how much longer can the shocks be made? I'm looking for a little bit more legroom.

How much shorter can the shocks be made? Looking to get better than just tippy toes at a stop. Also, I will be installing a Hepco_Becker center stand.

doc

How much shorter can the shocks be made? Looking to get better than just tippy toes at a stop. Also, I will be installing a Hepco_Becker center stand.
doc
20mm shorter - see the video posted earlier in this thread. You will have issues adding a center stand on a lowered bike.

Bolted on GT 2WS shocks today, along with Ferodo Platinum pads and Guzzi Tech LED headlight, not that the latter two are relevant.
Took a test drive- so big caveats are that the parts aren't broken in and the owner is at the point where placebo effect is most likely...

The 2WS are single rate springs instead of progressive. Not that there's anything wrong with that- I appreciated the price point.
I live and ride on a few highways and secondaries that have huge frost heaves every couple hundred yards...not that it ever freezes for more than a few hours around here...The new shocks do a much better job at smoothing small to moderate imperfections. On the big heaves that popped both front and back (and rider) into the air...well that still happens, but there's only so much that a pair shocks can do! I expect they'll get even better as they break in, but offer a solid thumbs up and recommendation for folks that are interested in incremental improvement without dropping the coin necessary for Matris magic. Oh, and brake pads seemed to deliver much more bite- which is to day normal- even though the Brembo pads I took out looked to have a fair bit of metal content. They had the feel of ceramic though, which has no place on a bike in my old fashioned book.

Last edited:
I recently have been commuting more on my V7 III and wanted to upgrade the stock rear shocks to handle to bumps better and was looking for the cheapest way to do so.
Todd mentioned to me about the K-Tech V7 I-III EM Twin shocks.
I purchased them and was well worth it. The smoother ride is definitely an improvement for more confident riding over the original bumpy stock shocks.
I also upgraded the front fork springs only at the same time to enhance the front suspension.

Here are my upgrades:

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/k-tech-v7-i-iii-em-twin-shocks

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/fork-springs-only

I purchased the K-Tech V7 I-III EM Twin shock and was well worth it. The smoother ride is definitely an improvement for more confident riding over the original bumpy stock shocks.
I also upgraded the front fork springs only at the same time to enhance the front suspension.
Thanks for the purchase and post Ray. Important to note also that Ray’s weight is on the light side (~140 lbs), so my direction for him was valid. I don’t often recommend just fork springs if you are over 175 lbs and/or you ride on the sporting side for fun. Commuters are often looking for something opposite of performance, which I can of course be of help per above.
Thanks again Ray(!).

Holy Guacamole!!!
So I haven't been riding much in the last 9 months or so, moved twice, new job etc... I now live on the Washington Idaho border in a much more rural area with lots and lots of gorgeous empty twisty roads. I have managed to get out a few times and enjoy them, but I feel like I haven't been getting all the responsiveness I should be out of my V7III, especially when hitting tight curves with any speed. I was about to just chalk it up to one of those 'cute' little quirks associated with Guzzis (ahem), when I stumbled on to threads suggesting dropping the forks 10-20 mm. I finally went out to the chaotic garage full of unopened boxes and found the tools to make this adjustment happen. I dropped them 15 mm, and also brought the handlebars back toward me about an inch to better accommodate my stocky short armed Scandahoovian frame.
Took the bike out on what I planned to be a 20 mile squirt outside of town, BUT the difference in handling was SO MUCH BETTER I ended up riding 120 miles! So much more planted in corners. I can only imagine what some more adjusting and improvements will do! Of course, then I'm going to want more power, gawd I see where this path is leading...and I love it! I am so re-STOKED on my little Moto!!
The pic is on the Snake River about 5 miles from Clarkston, WA

View attachment 17853
Hey. When you lowered the front end. Did you just loosen everything off and lower it? Tighten back up and go for a ride? I’ve never touch my suspension.

Back