Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7 loose fasteners

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jan 15, 2018.

1. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

just a touch of tightening every 300-500 miles for about 3000. then when you check the valves.
    the ne 2017 has been fixed and a couple of checks are all that's needed.

2. Midnite

Midnite Tuned and Synch'ed

What about the 2017 has been updated? New studs? New nuts? Curious because I have a 2016...

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Copper o-ring sealing gasket for the larger port hemi head. Will not fit the pre-'17 III models.

scudracer and Midnite like this.
  4. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

To add another screw to check, the awesome lovely filter cap retaining screw at the bottom of your sump!

My was a bit loose yesterday when I noticed there were some oil residue around the cap and the fins area...

Button it back up a bit and seems to be holding.

5. PiaggioFan

PiaggioFan Just got it firing!

My V7 special lost an exhaust nut and I replaced all 4 with Nord Loc washers, been fine ever since.

DK-V7classic likes this.
  6. Bultacofan

Bultacofan Just got it firing!

I bought a new 2016 Stornello last week. I rode it Sunday with no issues and put 50 miles on it. Today on my 3 mile commute as I was merging off the highway I went to downshift and the shift/toe peg was gone. Fortunately a trip to the Ace hardware and a M8 x1.25 pitch allen bolt got me home. Waiting on a new peg (MG would not sell just the peg and want $140 for the lever peg/combo) thank goodness an older sportster uses the same peg new one will get some loctite!

Poppe and Bill Hagan like this.
  7. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
  8. JACoH

JACoH Cruisin' Guzzisti

At 11,000 miles, just found ALL, except 1, sump screws were loose on my V7 III. Was underneath cleaning, after installing my Fenda Extenda, noticed fresh oil residue. Tightened all up, will replace gasket this winter.

TimmyTheHog likes this.
  9. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I was actually doing exactly the same thing of tightening all the sump screws & the clamp screws for the engine...most of them are LOOSE!

Was installing the new upgraded plugs...oh those are nice

10. vagrant

Well crap! Just when I thought it was a perfect bike.

11. vagrant

Ok, I checked mine and all were in need of a touch or tightening at 6700 miles but no sign of oil mist.

12. Midnite

Midnite Tuned and Synch'ed

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the Nord Loc washers? I can only find 10 or 20 packs online... wondering if there’s a source to buy individually (yeah, I’m cheap).

13. Roose

Roose Tuned and Synch'ed

'17 Stone. I'm concerned the swingarm is missing a bolt/and or becoming loose. This is on the left side, above the rear caliper. On the inside of the swingarm, the head of a bolt is sticking out maybe a few millimeters? I cannot find any swingarm diagrams showing a bolt being inserted from the inside?

7AA47153-BA51-49A0-9893-185202556E20.jpeg

This second shows the head of the inside bolt. I'll need to borrow a friends tools to reach it, or remove the real wheel.

E72794B4-47B1-49F2-95C7-01CED700EC5D.jpeg

Poppe likes this.
  14. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Looks like the brake carrier retaining pin and it appears to be present. I think you will find it is an allen so to you it may look like a hole. Part number is GU31544181.

Poppe and Bill Hagan like this.
  15. Peter_uk

Peter_uk Just got it firing!

Ive got an 2018 milano 2500 miles I checked the exhaust header bolts 3 of the 4 needed tightening. Also mirrors came loose. I will now be checking all accessible nuts and bolts .
    Anybody getting problems with poor quality finish / rust , ive got bolts rusting, plate between drive box and swinging arm unpainted and rusting .
    Bikes only 5 months old ! I did ride all through the winter, but still.

Poppe likes this.
  16. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

My starter motor was actually rattling loose the other day. It was hanging on by the threads of the bolts haha. Weird.

To your second part, yeah I've noted quite a few of my bolts have started to get a milky oxidation kind of thing on them. Really strange.

17. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Weird indeed! Have you ever removed it yourself? If not, I will add it to our list of things to check on service intervals. Never had any issues to date.

Poppe likes this.
  18. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Never touched it before! So weird. I actually had to google it because I didn't know what it was haha. I have a feeling it was just a fluke, unless it gets attached after it leaves the factory, then I could see this being BMW's missteps on the setup since they weren't the most diligent on setup it seems.

19. straycat

straycat Just got it firing!

Right rear heat shield bolt gone AWOL.

20. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

My bike(V7iii) had oil sweat on connection between rear drive and swing arms. I tried to tighten the nuts and fount some of them are easily to move(Feel like they are not exceed 25 Nm per spec.).
    I am not sure if these come loose over time( just 18xx km) or they are tighten below spec from factory.
    No oil sweat ever since.