• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II ENGINE FAILURES & CLUTCH ADJUST NOTICE!

Well, I'm taking my cherished V7 ii Racer in for its first diaper change at 1000km this week.
So far the bike and clutch have not exhibited any teething issues.
Clutch feels like new, chicken strips are gone, and I love the bike even more!

No worries!☺️

My bike is a 2015 Stone V7II and from what I've been told there is a way of checking the end float on the crank to seen if the washer is missing.
I'm not sure how involved this would be but I sureTodd would know.
First post lf this thread has the PDFs.

Motor has been replaced twice in my 2016 V7II Stone. After motorcycle warms up, i have trouble getting into Neutral .
Towing back to dealership this week. I will be showing dealership the schematics furnished on this thread. VIN# ZGULWUB08GM200351.
2,365 mi.
Is anyone else still struggling with getting this V7II Stone driveshaft play/shifting problem actually fixed ?

DSCN1633

New to this group. Recently took delivery of a 2015 MK 11 V7 Racer with 1250 miles on clock. Clutch problems from day one. Dragging, difficult to find neutral. Adjustment at bars at the max. Not touched the arm at gearbox end. Clutch cable snapped today. Bike going back to dealer on Saturday and I will update when I get the dealers report. Vin ZGULW3007FM20012. Number 124 of 1000 limited edition

New to this group. Recently took delivery of a 2015 MK 11 V7 Racer with 1250 miles on clock. Clutch problems from day one. Dragging, difficult to find neutral. Adjustment at bars at the max. Not touched the arm at gearbox end. Clutch cable snapped today. Bike going back to dealer on Saturday and I will update when I get the dealers report. Vin ZGULW3007FM20012. Number 124 of 1000 limited edition

Hi Scholar,
My 2016 V7II Stone's clutch appears to have been successfully adjusted at last. No problems getting into neutral now. The mechanic said they drove the bike around and got it very warm before doing the adjustment. There was something else they did to help the drive shaft play. I will report back on that.

I'm pretty sure I got a good one,Whew! Made myown tool & checked thrust clearance this weekend . .006" when checked @ 120degree intervals! Manual says .002"-.009" on assembly & in service .018" is allowable. So @ 7,000+ mi. I can come in off the ledge,at least on this issue. Lots of freezing temps & snow here in NE so a good time to putter w/these issues . I was pleased to see how easy this check was to do,having a couple of overstuffed snap-on cabinets helps too! Well spent the rest of the day watching ice races @ local lake ,ahh to be young ,adventurous& be able to heal quickly ! Suspension work next weekend

Hi All, got bike back from dealer . It seems that a previous owner had bent the clutch lever adjuster putting strain on the inner cable which snapped. New cable fitted and gears can be selected with ease. No slipping. Neutral easy to find. Weather is pretty dreadful here in North West England. Heavy rain which I hope washes away the road salt. So I will wait for a dry day before taking the bike out.

Ride safe and defensive!!

Hi All, got bike back from dealer . It seems that a previous owner had bent the clutch lever adjuster putting strain on the inner cable which snapped. New cable fitted and gears can be selected with ease. No slipping. Neutral easy to find. Weather is pretty dreadful here in North West England. Heavy rain which I hope washes away the road salt. So I will wait for a dry day before taking the bike out.

Ride safe and defensive!!
Glad to hear your mechanic figured out your clutch problems. My problems were with the motor replacement as a result of missing parts! Since Nov. when they replaced the motor and missing parts my 2016 V7II has been shifting and running great. My mechanic said adjusting the clutch when the bike was hot was good in my case. Interesting.
Be safe is right! Ciao.

I have suddenly developed a deep interest in this topic. My V7 II, which I bought used (i.e., no warranty) had the lock nut on the clutch lever loosen up. No big deal, but while trying to re-adjust it, I realized that the adjusting threads are out almost completely. Hopefully cable stretched, but I'm going to have my local dealer (since I have one, but they did not sell me the bike) adjust the clutch and look at the bike. The V7 now has 300 miles on it (50 when I bought it) and my VIN fits nicely into the developing list.

I realize that the crank movement can be measured with a dial gauge, but short of an engine tear down is there any way to see whether the thrust washer bearings are in place (drop oil pan, etc.)? I'm not completely worthless at mechanical work, but I've never been inside a Guzzi engine (and this is Guzzi #5 for me). No major issues for me while SEIMM, DeTomaso or Aprila owned them, but now...hopefully I'm just getting worried about nothing.

I picked up a 2016 (new) Stornello, been commuting with it around city for the last couple weeks, temps have been in the high 90s.

I've noticed more and more as the bike heats up that neutral is super tricky to find and almost impossible to catch when stopped at a light or whenever. Otherwise the bike shifts fine at speeds and neutral is easier to locate when moving above 20mph and when revs are up.

Haven't had the first service yet but will play with the clutch cable tonight to see if it's simply not engaging 100%. I've also noticed that when the clutch is pulled in 100% the bike is still pulling forward a bit too, making it tough to back into a parking spot etc when I can't knock her into neutral. Hand's starting to feel it too...

Well that was easy.... came out after work, loosened the lock nut, tightened the cable, tightened the lock nut, didn't have the evasive neutral whole ride home. No measuring, just did it by feel (about same as when I tighten or replace my Airhead's clutch cable). Done and hopefully done.

Motor has been replaced twice in my 2016 V7II Stone. After motorcycle warms up, i have trouble getting into Neutral .
Towing back to dealership this week. I will be showing dealership the schematics furnished on this thread. VIN# ZGULWUB08GM200351.
2,365 mi.
Is anyone else still struggling with getting this V7II Stone driveshaft play/shifting problem actually fixed ?

View attachment 13934
I have GM200350, it's long lost sister!

Question: Where is the thrust washer in question located? and does anyone have a part number?

I have a V7 II smack in the middle of the affected bikes. Unfortunately she was totalled after being dropped at extremely low speed, and I purchased her from the insurance company, so now being on a salvage title, there is no warranty.

Happily still under 600 miles, and no clutch issues so far, my plan is to inspect, and if necessary install, the thrust washers, and so (fingers crossed) head off the issue. Just need to know where to look!

Many thanks in advance.

Hello all.... Just bought a new old stock 2016 V7 II Stone, and will be taking delivery in a few days. Serial number is just outside of the reported problem batch (...GM200645), but it still could be affected, since there are no reports of lower numbers being OK.

Can the dealer check the crankshaft endfloat when new, or does there have to be some wear for the problem to be measurable?

I have GM200282 and it just got a new engine, under warranty (which runs out in about 3 weeks).
Unfortunately, I did not get the original engine number before it was replaced.
The bike had about 340 miles on it when it ran out of clutch adjustment, so it went to visit my local dealer (I'm fortunate to have one). Guzzi/Piaggio decided it was going to get a new engine.
The process took about 6 1/2 weeks, with about half of that time spent waiting for the new engine to be shipped from Italy, clear customs, etc.
So, do I need to get another 300 miles on it in the next two to three weeks to verify that the new engine is good?

Hello all.... Just bought a new old stock 2016 V7 II Stone, and will be taking delivery in a few days. Serial number is just outside of the reported problem batch (...GM200645), but it still could be affected, since there are no reports of lower numbers being OK. Can the dealer check the crankshaft endfloat when new, or does there have to be some wear for the problem to be measurable?
Yes they sure can, covered in the PDF on the first post here.

Back