• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 racer - chrome tank issue

smv

Just got it firing!
Recently I notice the chrome tank has hair style cracking issue, I guess that it is due to the expansion and contraction from the temperature change. There are so many small cracks near the cylinder heads.

Have anyone have the same problem? My dealer has send the photo to the manufacturer and ask for replacement. :(

Yes indeed.
I had the same issue within a few hundred miles.
My claim was initially declined by Guzzi much to the astonishment of my dealer as well as me.
I then bought a new one some weeks later and within days of fitting it, got a call from my dealer to tell me that my tank would now be replaced under warranty.
Guzzi had obviously become aware that there was a problem.
I am in no doubt that the problem was caused by the tank expanding.
With mine it was quite dramatic.
I was not prepared to take any chances with my new tank, so I did a little modification.
Inside the fuel filler cap you will find a rubber gasket which you can pull out.
I cut a tiny slither out of this to assist with venting.
No issues since new tank fitted.
Yes you should definitely be able to claim under warranty.
I did.

Same thing happened to mine within the first 2 days. The tank would deflate when opening the fuel cap & almost blow the cap out my hand! I pulled the valve apart & lubed it up to make it vent.
My dealer has a new tank waiting for me at the next service. As the Racer gets a lot of attention I am kind of over having to explain all the small cracks all over the tank to people when they ask about my bike.

:laugh: Just a small update my new replacement tank is sending from Italy and waiting me at the next service. Hope it can solve all the problem. It's annoying to explain every ride. :huh:

Guzzi start to be known by Hong Kong rider, after I show up my racer on road. 5 new Guzzi are importing to us. What a great news, I'm not alone. :lol:

smv said:
:laugh: Just a small update my new replacement tank is sending from Italy and waiting me at the next service. Hope it can solve all the problem. It's annoying to explain every ride. :huh:

If your Racer has the charcoal evap canister, make sure your dealer does this recall.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/202/7894.html

My dealer just removed the entire evap system.

guzzipete said:
If your Racer has the charcoal evap canister, make sure your dealer does this recall.

In the UK our bikes do not have this system.
It's just a straightforward, vent through the cap, but we still have the tank issues so it isn't that.
As I said before.
The simplest fail safe sollution is to cut a 1mm section out of the rubber gasket in the filler cap.
It's worked for me.

sandy said:
guzzipete said:

In the UK our bikes do not have this system.
It's just a straightforward, vent through the cap, but we still have the tank issues so it isn't that.
As I said before.
The simplest fail safe sollution is to cut a 1mm section out of the rubber gasket in the filler cap.
It's worked for me.

Hi Sandy,

Could you show me the picture so I can make it right. :laugh:

smv said:
Could you show me the picture so I can make it right. :laugh:

It's quite easy and safe.
Take off the fuel filler cap, then turn it upside down and you will find a rubber gasket.
Remove this and then carefully, using a sharp staney knife or razor blade, cut out a section about 2/3mm.
Re fit the gasket making sure you push it right back into recess in the rim and voila.
You have created effective venting that completely eliminates the problem.
There's no issue with water getting in because the outer edge of the filler cap is a very tight fit to the edge of the surround.

There is a gas cap recall for some V7R's. Owners should of been informed by now. Check with your dealer, it's all been up on the Servicemotoguzzi site for a while but it seems a lot of dealers never look at it....... :roll:

Pete

After a long ride, when you open the fuel cap, you should note the tank will deflate for an inch. :(

My dealer is trying to claim for a 2012 metal tank, but I'm wondering will it fit on my 2011 Guzzi :?:
Or I should ask for another plastic tank and keep it as a spare part.

If your tank is replaced by MG metal or plastic, they'll probably want the old one back.

I asked for a metal tank as well. Might be the best sulution, in stead of an other plastic tank blowing up in a few months...
Will keep you posted what the reaction from MG is.

I asked my dealer a few weeks ago if the metal tanks will fit on v7's with the old engines. I have a 2009 V7C. The response the dealer got back from MG tech support was:

In theory is possible to change the plastic tank with the metallic one but to do it you would have to change the fuel pump, fuel lines and fixing plates. This will not be accepted as a warranty claim.

While I have no issues with my plastic tank, I would like to install the metal one just for my own peace of mind.

guzzipete said:
I asked my dealer a few weeks ago if the metal tanks will fit on v7's with the old engines. I have a 2009 V7C. The response the dealer got back from MG tech support was:

In theory is possible to change the plastic tank with the metallic one but to do it you would have to change the fuel pump, fuel lines and fixing plates. This will not be accepted as a warranty claim.

While I have no issues with my plastic tank, I would like to install the metal one just for my own peace of mind.

That doesnt seems right, the 2012 V7 comes with old motor and metal tank in north America. that tank should fit the pre-2012 bike without problem.

DutchV7racer said:
I asked for a metal tank as well. Might be the best sulution, in stead of an other plastic tank blowing up in a few months...

I replaced my tank and performed a modification that took 30 seconds, which prevented it happening again.
I posted it up here, but clearly people can't be bothered to do a bit of research.
:unsure:

Back