• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 racer - chrome tank issue

I cut the small piece out out the fuel cap problem solved thanks sandy

Hello Guys,
I own a V7 Racer which I bought 14 months ago. Since then I have replaced 3 plastic chrome tanks because they all cracked. The last one I replaced just 10 days ago and also replaced the part that they told me was the problem in the fuel cup. Unfortunately a week later it started cracking too. They have not solved the problem. I told them that I wanted the mettal one but they gave me some bs that it will not fit. I am so embarrassed to ride my bike like this. I really do not know what to do. It takes them ages to replace the tank and when they do it only lasts a week. Any advise as to what should I do? Any comments will be highly appreciated. I love that bike but I am so dissapointed. They offered me a black tank but one of the reasons I bought that bike wqas the chrome color. Please help. Can I insist on giving me the new metal tank and find a way to fit it to my bike? I am ready to take them to court since I have no other solution.

I am also on my 3rd tank that needs to be replaced with a 4th
It is completely unacceptable that Moto Guzzi keep feeding us dodgy plastic tanks.
Need to apply pressure to the dealers to replace these with metal.

I know the problem with the chrome tanks is mainly a visual thing but there does seem to be a problem with all the plastic tanks. I had the tank on my V7 Classic replaced due to it apparently swelling to the point where I couldn't bolt it down because the bracket and mounting hole wouldn't line up. The same problem has now affected the new tank. Unless MG do an across the range recall of all plastic tanks I don't see an end to the problem.:-(

Doesn't sound good ! Must admit the last time I took my tank off it was a real pain going back on as the rear mount wouldn't line up without a fight :evil:
Guzzi wont get around the problem i fear now that they are metal ones which probably only fit the new single injector models.
As there is more space for the new tank hence fuel capacity the airbox is smaller so i dont think the new tanks would be a retro fit :(
Guess i'll have to start saving for a hand made alloy one :twisted: any excuse :D

A custom alloy tank would be sweet.
As for fitting the tank, they all have problems fitting. It's as if the jig at the factory isn't set right.

My plastic tank hasn't had any problems. (knocking on wood).

This reminds me of a custom V65 out of Europe mainland, that had wood trim!

Joe

hi,
I just wanted to do the change as mentioned on the first page: take a slice out of the rubber gasket.
But I noticed this has no sense at all: the fuel filler cap has a little hole which makes the connection between the inside of the tank and the outside, as such allowing it to breath.
Nevertheless we also had the cracks, so there must be some other reason, not?
Putting too much fuel when it's hot or so?
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2012-08-28 20.06.41.jpg
    2012-08-28 20.06.41.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 1,451
I replaced the fuel cap without any modification on seal ring and tested for serveral ride. The tank is working normal now. :lol: I observed that the petrol vapor is stayed on the seal ring after my ride and I could smell the petrol when I stop in font of traffic lights. That's a good sign which means it finally can breath.

The HK dealer is so helpful, he let me test the new cap first before replace my tank in next visit.

Can you confirm that the fuel cap looks exactly like mine, including the hole at the side?

Apparently the cracking is caused by ethanol in the fuel - they are putting more of this in the petrol as they run out of oil. This stuff is very toxic and it is causing expansion and contraction in the chrome finish. I guess the paint finish is a bit more malleable so doesn't crack like the chrome, as the Cafe has a plastic tank but I don't hear problems with the cracking.
I did my nut at Moto Guzzi and asked for a metal tank - they were prepared to replace under warranty but at an extra cost to me of about £500 for a new fuel pump (as this is different on the new models)
I took the plastic one - I am now on my 4th tank - with a one year warranty as the bike warranty is almost finished.
I am also going to do the modification suggested on page 1 of this forum.

It is a bit of a sad indication of the world we live in when they run out of oil and give us plastic petrol tanks that dont work

good luck

Hi, everyone,just got a call to say my new tank has arrived,this after 3 months of waiting. my old tank has not cracked but most of the laquer/chrome has come away, so off to Thirsk U.K.on friday to have new one fitted.and hopefully this one will be o/k !. :D (stay between the dykes). Pops.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me ! I am heavily leaning in the directon of purchasing a 2013 V7 Racer and would appreciate some sound advice. After seeing the earlier U.K. models with thee chrome plastic gas tanks i fell in love with this bike. However i'm somewhat put off by all of the remarks regarding the chrome splitting or peeling. I believe here in the U.S. the new models have metal tanks, but i haven't heard whether or not the issue has been rectified. Please don't advise me to purchase the 2012 model with the all-black tank !! One other question..i prefer the 2012 chrome cylinder head / rocker covers instead of the new style matt black ones..are these interchangeable.!??

Thanks in advance for your replies and safe riding..

I believe all 2013 models are metal tanks, mine #393 is. I don't know if the head covers are interchangeable, but I really like the black in contrast to the chrome tank. You may change your mind once you have one!

Andy, i appreciate the reply..
I'm hoping all of the issue's regarding the chrome tanks are only with the European models with them being plastic. If anyone else Stateside is having problems i'd be interested to know. My only other thought is that maybe to shell out the big bucks for a custom alloy tank, although i like the leather tank strap also.

Thanks again, tonupman

I got my new tank with the new fuel cap on but it crack again :evil: . It cracked slower than before but cannot solve the problem
My deal give me a quotation on replacing a new metal tank which will cost 1,450 pounds (without labour cost).
:cry:

Can the modification work for cuting the rubber seal ring off 1mm? Any other successful cases?

tonupman55 said:
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me ! I am heavily leaning in the directon of purchasing a 2013 V7 Racer... I believe here in the U.S. the new models have metal tanks, but i haven't heard whether or not the issue has been rectified. One other question..i prefer the 2012 chrome cylinder head / rocker covers instead of the new style matt black ones..are these interchangeable.!??
Welcome to the Forum, and congrats in advance on the purchase into the Famiglia.
Most '12s came in with metal tanks, and every '13 I've come across does as well. No known issues now.
The older valve covers will bolt on, but the new head is larger in size, so there are three large holes outbound of the older cover now, so it might look a bit unfinished.
Are you dealing with Tony at A-Team?

:lol: Latest update: after 2 wrong shippments and 8 months waiting, my dealer finally installed a chrome metal tank on my V7 racer with free of charge. :lol: Good job!

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats in advance on the purchase into the Famiglia.
Most '12s came in with metal tanks, and every '13 I've come across does as well. No known issues now.
The older valve covers will bolt on, but the new head is larger in size, so there are three large holes outbound of the older cover now, so it might look a bit unfinished.
Are you dealing with Tony at A-Team?

Hi there !
Ihave met Tony over at A-Team M/C, although usually I check my bike in at the service dept. It seems the ONLY factory trained mechanic working there is a gentleman by the name of Ray Fisher who went over to Huntington Beach, Calif for his induction..very nice genuine older mechanic though it seems.
I'm loving the Racer and have only just turned 1700 miles on it, due to the summer heat !! Only changes made so far are bar-end Halcyon mirrors imported from the U.K. Still deliberating on the Record Kit but they are seemingly impossible to find anymore. Might order and install the chrome Stucchi engine guards soon.
BTW.. Not sure what i'll do down the road but the word is A-Team has sold out, so hopefully someone will take over the MG dealership here in Las Vegas !!

All the best , sorry for the delay in the reply..happy and safe riding !!

Back