RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, We've completed the split of this website from our custom bike builds and products to our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. GuzziTech.com is now a secure site (https), and may require you to sign in again using your same password. We are back to our origins here with the Forum and Resources only. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work with our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

V7 travel motorcycle

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by stefaandv, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:19 PM.

?

Which V7 is the best V7 (mechanically, lightest, fuel economy)

1. V7I

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. V7II

25.0%
  3. V7III

75.0%
  1. stefaandv

stefaandv Just got it firing!

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a rtw trip in 2020, and I'm seriously considering a v7.

I currently own a triumph bonneville and I love that bike, but I love my friends V7 more.

I'll probably need to modify it a little bit, mostly the suspension and I had some question's I bothered Todd about, and he referred me here.

I might have alot of questions..

For the front fork I will be using a modified and shortened DRZ400 fork. This is an excellent fork that can be tuned very well.

I'm wondering what the maximum angle is at which the shaft will run reliably?

What weight can be saved in the v7? Just the exhaust?

What is the actual weight of a wet, full tank v7I, V7II or V7III? I'm finding various numbers around..Some claim 179kg, which sounds just perfect, but I'm not sure if that's correct?

Speaking of which, which v7 is the better one? I always liked the V7II because of the slightly tilted engine and I suppose the ABS. Is the V7I not as good? I seem to recall MG going from dual carbs to dual TB's and then to a single TB? Maybe a Breva 750 is even better?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yes, I did see the V85, but that's not my cup of tea. The hammarhead V7 is more a look that tickles my fancy!

2. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Site Contributor!

I have only ever ridden the V7 III, but I absolutely love it and am in love with it.

stefaandv likes this.
  3. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Will the DRZ forks need a new tripple?

For travel, the V7III has that 6th gear which is nice. Wet weight I think is somewhere around the 450lbs range, but it sure feels like as hell. Compared to my friends Thruxton, my bike feels like a dirt bike. Exhaust, Battery, Metal rear fender, will help save a nice bit of weight. The 2:2 exhaust that todd does alone saves 15lbs - that is what his description says for his system.

stefaandv likes this.
  4. stefaandv

I believe the V7II has a 6th gear aswell. It is a nice addition indeed. I heard there were teething problems with the V7III? is this true?

I will be using (don't laugh) harley triples. Harley has some bikes now that have 49mm forks for some unknown reason.
    I think the DRZ clamps will not give me any steering lock, which is already a big negative of the V7. Do the forks hit the tank on a v7 in stock setup?

5. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Being a V7iii owner for a year now I've certainly not heard of any teething problems. Like the series ii models, series iii models need the fueling fixed up, otherwise entirely trouble-free. Nearly 22,000 trouble-free Km on it now. There are quite a few technological changes on the series iii. I wouldn't look at a series ii for a new purchase.

Poppe likes this.
  6. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I have a Stornello (V7 II in blue jeans); my brother, a V7 III Special (think tux:giggle:).

I have only about 5K (70% on pavement) on mine; my brother ditto on his (as he is infatuated just now with his Duc MS12S, and mostly rides it). I have put several hundred miles on his III.

My own butt dyno -- which has been derided (NPI!) here and elsewhere for uselessness :think: -- finds way fewer real-life-riding differences in the II and III than others.

Both have been reliable machines and, while hardly Nipponese liter bikes in performance, deliver more than adequate real-world-road performance for LD touring, at least one-up with "stuff."

Fit and finish are as good as any on the market.

Let us know what you end up doing ... and best wishes doing it.

Bill

Poppe likes this.
  7. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

What do you mean about the negative of the v7? Are you saying the V7 doesn't have steering lock?

8. stefaandv

What I meant was that the v7 can’t do a 4 point u-turn. Or a 5 point. For my needs it will have to have more steering lock as in smaller turning radius. I wonder what’s holding it back, and I hope it’s not the tank.. The harley triples seem to have more offset then the guzzi ones, and I hope that together with 2 aesthetically responsible tank dents will give me a decent turning circle.