• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 travel motorcycle

Which V7 is the best V7 (mechanically, lightest, fuel economy)

• Total voters

stefaandv

Just got it firing!
Hello everyone!

I'm planning a rtw trip in 2020, and I'm seriously considering a v7.

I currently own a triumph bonneville and I love that bike, but I love my friends V7 more.

I'll probably need to modify it a little bit, mostly the suspension and I had some question's I bothered Todd about, and he referred me here.

I might have alot of questions..

For the front fork I will be using a modified and shortened DRZ400 fork. This is an excellent fork that can be tuned very well.

I'm wondering what the maximum angle is at which the shaft will run reliably?

What weight can be saved in the v7? Just the exhaust?

What is the actual weight of a wet, full tank v7I, V7II or V7III? I'm finding various numbers around..Some claim 179kg, which sounds just perfect, but I'm not sure if that's correct?

Speaking of which, which v7 is the better one? I always liked the V7II because of the slightly tilted engine and I suppose the ABS. Is the V7I not as good? I seem to recall MG going from dual carbs to dual TB's and then to a single TB? Maybe a Breva 750 is even better?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yes, I did see the V85, but that's not my cup of tea. The hammarhead V7 is more a look that tickles my fancy!

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a rtw trip in 2020, and I'm seriously considering a v7.

I currently own a triumph bonneville and I love that bike, but I love my friends V7 more.

I'll probably need to modify it a little bit, mostly the suspension and I had some question's I bothered Todd about, and he referred me here.

I might have alot of questions..

For the front fork I will be using a modified and shortened DRZ400 fork. This is an excellent fork that can be tuned very well.

I'm wondering what the maximum angle is at which the shaft will run reliably?

What weight can be saved in the v7? Just the exhaust?

What is the actual weight of a wet, full tank v7I, V7II or V7III? I'm finding various numbers around..Some claim 179kg, which sounds just perfect, but I'm not sure if that's correct?

Speaking of which, which v7 is the better one? I always liked the V7II because of the slightly tilted engine and I suppose the ABS. Is the V7I not as good? I seem to recall MG going from dual carbs to dual TB's and then to a single TB? Maybe a Breva 750 is even better?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yes, I did see the V85, but that's not my cup of tea. The hammarhead V7 is more a look that tickles my fancy!

Will the DRZ forks need a new tripple?

For travel, the V7III has that 6th gear which is nice. Wet weight I think is somewhere around the 450lbs range, but it sure feels like as hell. Compared to my friends Thruxton, my bike feels like a dirt bike. Exhaust, Battery, Metal rear fender, will help save a nice bit of weight. The 2:2 exhaust that todd does alone saves 15lbs - that is what his description says for his system.

I believe the V7II has a 6th gear aswell. It is a nice addition indeed. I heard there were teething problems with the V7III? is this true?

I will be using (don't laugh) harley triples. Harley has some bikes now that have 49mm forks for some unknown reason.
I think the DRZ clamps will not give me any steering lock, which is already a big negative of the V7. Do the forks hit the tank on a v7 in stock setup?

I believe the V7II has a 6th gear aswell. It is a nice addition indeed. I heard there were teething problems with the V7III? is this true?
Being a V7iii owner for a year now I've certainly not heard of any teething problems. Like the series ii models, series iii models need the fueling fixed up, otherwise entirely trouble-free. Nearly 22,000 trouble-free Km on it now. There are quite a few technological changes on the series iii. I wouldn't look at a series ii for a new purchase.

I have a Stornello (V7 II in blue jeans); my brother, a V7 III Special (think tux:giggle:).

I have only about 5K (70% on pavement) on mine; my brother ditto on his (as he is infatuated just now with his Duc MS12S, and mostly rides it). I have put several hundred miles on his III.

My own butt dyno -- which has been derided (NPI!) here and elsewhere for uselessness :think: -- finds way fewer real-life-riding differences in the II and III than others.

Both have been reliable machines and, while hardly Nipponese liter bikes in performance, deliver more than adequate real-world-road performance for LD touring, at least one-up with "stuff."

Fit and finish are as good as any on the market.

Let us know what you end up doing ... and best wishes doing it.

Bill

I think the DRZ clamps will not give me any steering lock, which is already a big negative of the V7. Do the forks hit the tank on a v7 in stock setup?

What do you mean about the negative of the v7? Are you saying the V7 doesn't have steering lock?

What do you mean about the negative of the v7? Are you saying the V7 doesn't have steering lock?

What I meant was that the v7 can’t do a 4 point u-turn. Or a 5 point. For my needs it will have to have more steering lock as in smaller turning radius. I wonder what’s holding it back, and I hope it’s not the tank.. The harley triples seem to have more offset then the guzzi ones, and I hope that together with 2 aesthetically responsible tank dents will give me a decent turning circle.

I've got my eye on a green v7ii stone at the moment, 30K km with ago exhausts. It's a bit overpriced at 5K euro.
Got to sell the crf250 and W650 first though.

Did the V7ii have canbus?

My Agostini pipes are much lighter than standard. The LSL bars are also but probably not much else. Id ride mine around the world for sure. Tubeless conti TK 70s , good rear shocks and some padded undies.
I use ortleib speed bags and a kreiger 20 tail bag on mine. Works well.
The tilted forward engine in the series 2 is good if you have long legs as are a set of lower pegs.
I take it you have already heard of http://derekmansfield.com/

This is more of a personal feel and opinion.

If you are picking between different V7 or thinking of upgrading, go with V7iii.

If you already have V7ii, then stick with it.

However, go sit on all three of V7 as the ergo are different by ever so slightly different. Some love the change, some hated it...

Honestly, the weight "saving" is minor from V7 to V7iii although it did got heavier.

The increase of HP & Torque is nice, along with the ABS & Traction control if you ever need it (yes I am a believer)

The reliability of the bike is pretty great, but might not just be as "local dealer friendly" depends on where you are. Do a bit of search and you will see what I mean.

All this talk about V7 is making me missing my bike...Having a PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) at the moment...

I'm looking qt q few guzzi's qt the moment. I found a repainted 2014 stone in the UK with wrapped ago pipes, a brown saddle and no rear fender. Don't really like that one unless I can get it cheaply.
I also found a really nice 2014 one in France, but I'm having trouble getting a second reply from the guy. If all goes well I'll go check it out next saturday. It's even in my favorite colour (grigio intenso)

The ABS is a nice plus. I'll probably drop the rear wheel abs and remove to TC, these things will only give me problems offroad. Extra legroom is much appreciated, but the footpegs will be modified anyway, probably lowered.

I'm not too worried about dealers. I always service my own bikes, and guzzis seem to be bmw airhead simple.

I'm looking qt q few guzzi's qt the moment. I found a repainted 2014 stone in the UK with wrapped ago pipes, a brown saddle and no rear fender. Don't really like that one unless I can get it cheaply.
I also found a really nice 2014 one in France, but I'm having trouble getting a second reply from the guy. If all goes well I'll go check it out next saturday. It's even in my favorite colour (grigio intenso)

The ABS is a nice plus. I'll probably drop the rear wheel abs and remove to TC, these things will only give me problems offroad. Extra legroom is much appreciated, but the footpegs will be modified anyway, probably lowered.

I'm not too worried about dealers. I always service my own bikes, and guzzis seem to be bmw airhead simple.
There is quite a bit of support by UK there.

If you are on Facebook you can search for the groups there. Lots of nice and knowledgeable fellows there.

And yes, V7 is like the old BMW airhead :)

If you can, try to get a feel of it even just idle...I didn't even have to ride it to be sold :p

I have ridden one before, a friend of mine has one and I love it!

Another question: I'm probably going to buy a stone, but I'll be building spoked wheels into it (not sure if I'll go 21-18 or 19-17 or even 19-18)
Which rear spoke hubs will fit the v7ii? Do I need to find a v7ii spoke hub or can I use older hubs like from a breva?

I have ridden one before, a friend of mine has one and I love it!

Another question: I'm probably going to buy a stone, but I'll be building spoked wheels into it (not sure if I'll go 21-18 or 19-17 or even 19-18)
Which rear spoke hubs will fit the v7ii? Do I need to find a v7ii spoke hub or can I use older hubs like from a breva?

Before going to an 18 inch wheel, check tire availability. It is becoming increasing difficult to find good 18 inch tires. Same is becoming true with 21 and 19 inch.

Mitas E-07 and Heidenau K60s available in many sizes, both of which I love. Tyre choice is the reason I would take 21/18 over 19/17. The problem with 18 is it decreases the already very limited rear wheel's travel. It increases the ride height in the rear though, meaning I can get more front suspension.
Maybe if I can find the time I will take the U joint out and replace it with a CV joint, they seem to have more reliability and less problems with angle. Some guys from the dutch moto guzzi club do it all the time.

Back