Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 & V9 Ohlins Shocks

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Feb 22, 2017.

?

I...

1. am excited to purchase these.

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. am more interested in other GT options.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. already have an upgrade I love.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. am not sure if I need these.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Well, the day has finally come. I am able to order basic non-adjustable Ohlins piggyback shocks for your V7 and V9. I am bringing in a set for each bike to test and review, and will post on the Suspension thread when I get them. More as I have it.

Link to purchase for your V7 HERE
    Link to purchase for your V9 HERE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scudracer, BenRCMC and T_Guzzi like this.
  2. A*D*A*M

A*D*A*M Just got it firing!

IMG_4646.JPG After having Öhlins on my V7 for a few years, I can truly recommend this upgrade. Rear is rock steady yet very comfortable. Did I mention they look good?

scudracer, Poppe and BenRCMC like this.
  3. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I have fully adjustable Ohlins custom made on my V7 Stone. Absolutely hated the stockers and the Bituro or whatever they are called supposed upgrade.

scudracer likes this.
  4. GT-Rx®

Yes, funny... the Bitubo's are actually worse than the stock Olle's on the Stone/Classic.

scudracer likes this.
  5. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

What is the difference between the Ohlin's and other suspension offerings by GT? Just curious as I'm sure a lot of people want to upgrade their suspension and my not know how they stack up aside from being a big name brand in the suspension industry.

6. GT-Rx®

So as stated above, I am bringing them into test against my other offerings.
    Ohlins is at the top of the game, so you usually pay more just for the name and with any features beyond the basic spec, the options make the price go up quickly. These are zero damping adjustment optioned, only spring preload and length adjust. That said, they are typically very very good.
    My other options are mostly all CNC aluminum parts externally and often internally, whereas the Ohlins uses cast parts and more plastic... if that matters to you.

scudracer likes this.
  7. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I know you mentioned that you will be testing them and posting results. I was referring to the value compared to the other suspension offerings. For a couple hundred dollars, it seems like you can get fully adjustable rear shocks. In terms of value, do you believe that one would get a better dollar value from the non Ohlin's brand?

This is coming from someone who doesn't know much about motorcycle suspension.

Also, in my past experience with anything, CNC is always better than cast and plastic.

scudracer likes this.
  8. GerryP

GerryP Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have the Bitubo's on my '15 V7 Stone (with a Racetech front) and at 165 lbs they work fine for me for the type of riding/touring I do.

9. GT-Rx®

You are on the upper end of the weight range target, but I encourage you to do this... put a zip-tie on the rear shock rod, and sit on the bike. Hop off and note the travel to the bumper, then take it for a ride and note what it looks like then.

10. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Gerry and I both have used the same shop for a while now. We have full faith in the owner, ride with him, and are friends.
    That said, I had Ohlins on another bike and liked them. I most likely would have used on of GT's offerings and saved a few bucks had I been aware of them.
    I also have RaceTech front end as I did on my Tiger 1050. Works a treat.

I've also had the good pleasure to work with the owner on rebuilding several front ends as well as install shocks and other items when I visit the shop. I book an extra day off when I'm in the area just so I can assist and further my knowledge base.